Notices
Lighting A place to ask questions about HIDs & other Lexus lights

95' ES how to I make my lights blue?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-03, 10:43 PM
XvWesvX
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 95' ES how to I make my lights blue?

I want to change my heads lights and fog lights to blue HIDs or Xenons. What will this cost? What will have to do to my car? Are there any downsides to doing this to my car? Also does anyone have any pictures of what it would look like if I this?

Thanks so much guys!
Old 10-04-03, 12:14 AM
Jmai22
Lexus Fanatic

well if you wanted to do both it would cost anywhere from 400-1000.00 dollars. depending on what color temperature and company you go with. I would only recomend to do the low beam. a kit should cost you around 400-600 dollars.

i haven't been looking at HID's for some time now i heard they banned them, so i'm not sure if you are still able to purchase them legally.
Old 10-04-03, 02:33 AM
XvWesvX
Driver School Candidate

If HIDs are illegal now, what type of lights are there? How long ago did they become illegal?
Old 10-04-03, 03:05 AM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

well, the cheap way to get them blue will be to buy blue halogen bulbs.

The expensive way is to buy 7000K+ HIDs .... 2 sets (1 for low beams, the other for your fogs). It'll cost you about $1100 for both.....but you can get it cheaper on ebay....probably made in China, Taiwan, or Korea.

The down side to the blue color is that is my simulate police cars....so if your area cops use blue...you will get a ticket.

http://www.autoaccessorystore.com/ho...e=HID%20Lights

Pete
Old 10-04-03, 08:45 AM
tiguy99
Pole Position

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Re: 95' ES how to I make my lights blue?

Originally posted by XvWesvX
I want to change my heads lights and fog lights to blue HIDs or Xenons. What will this cost? What will have to do to my car? Are there any downsides to doing this to my car? Also does anyone have any pictures of what it would look like if I this?

Thanks so much guys!
Welcome to the club! Getting HID equpiment is not hard at all. It may take you some effort and diligence on your behalf. In this area, research is your ace in the hole. You've got to get out and find out what HID is all about (and how it work on your car). As far as research goes, go here: Its a gold mine of data for you.

http://faq.auto.light.tripod.com/index.htm

The second link I'm going to give you is on some forums dedecated to HID matters (this section of Clublexus is awesome too but if you're going for the gusto, you've got to deversify). Some of these sites weren't available when I did my project and I can tell you, the stories shared would have made my work alot easier. Here you go:

www.hidforum.com

http://www.network54.com/Hide/Forum/216460

My project on my 95 ES300 including prices:
Consisting of :
4100K OSRAM Xenarc bulbs D2S $65.00 w/ shipping---- Classified from HID FAQ Site
BMW E46 HID Projectors $155.00--- Ebay
PIAA Ballasts $129.00--Classified from HID FAQ Site
Relay and wiring and supplies like electric tape and industrial strength velcro = $20.00 Amrit50 --member here and Walgreens respectively
6 months Research and Development waiting to purchase the ES300 and learn more about HID = priceless
Total : $369.00
LAbor done by myself consisting of 12 hours+ total work trial and error (now I can do any job in under 3 hours tops! I've gotten that good)

My links with before and after shots and all the info on HID you'll ever want to know about your 95 ES!!!

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...es300+retrofit

and

and finally...

Good Luck and do keep us informed! Everyone learns from each other so I'll be looking forward to learning from you!
Mike

Last edited by tiguy99; 10-04-03 at 08:48 AM.
Old 10-19-03, 12:52 AM
XvWesvX
Driver School Candidate

Default Thanks so much!

tiguy99-
Your links where very useful. Im somewhat affaird to rip my head lights up, because of the fact its the only car I own is my Lex. If make a huge mess of my lights I wont have a car to drive. Is there anyway I could waste a ton of money by paying someone to install them for me? Also how off is this picture? My lights dont look as yellow as your picture is.
Old 10-19-03, 12:53 AM
XvWesvX
Driver School Candidate

Default .

Attached Thumbnails 95' ES how to I make my lights blue?-3898__hr_10.jpg  
Old 10-19-03, 04:27 AM
BigghookUp
Pole Position

Default hey...

I suggest you dont get blue anything, maybe like hyper white with tint of blue but not too much blue.... I was trying to do the same thing your trying to do and modded almost every light in my car, i did my front blinkers, stayed with xenon blue, its not blue enough to get a ticket, then modded my dome light and every interior light,

Its pretty interesting, if you buy an aftermarket piaa dome light for the es there is a big difference in brightness but not hue of blue. So i decided to go out and buy the blue gel cap. I put it on and it was not bright at all but it was sure as hell blue. So what i did i bought blue tint from autozone and tinted out the domelight from the inside and it turned out awsome. you could not tell it was tinted and when it turned on at night the light was bright and blue..

So as the story continues i also did my reverse light but decided to gel cap them blue.. what are the chance that cops will see you backing up. Anyways I was backing out of a gas station one night and just as im backing up a cop on bike sees me and comes in to give me a talk. He was threatening to give me the 300$ ticket for the law that just passed about 1.5-2 months ago about the blue lights being visible anywhere on your car. I got out of the car and told him how i didn't know they were illegal...bla bla...i said i would take them out on the spot to avoid getting that ticket, but i told him it would talk bout .5 hour so he said that i go home and take them out and if he sees me again he'll write me that ticket... so theres my story with blue lights and cops. Oh ya he made me take out my dome light and take out the blue film, but i dont see how that symbolizes cop lights when its inside and only turns on when your parked..

If you want to go and get 7500 bulbs not hid but as close as it can get and the best brand get the PIAA SPARK BLUE from Japan off ebay it goes for around 100$ with shipping and is the blueest and best quality bulbs out there that piaa makes. I was going to get it but its kind of a lot of loop. Trying to save it and upgrade my subs.

C ya lata
Good luck
Old 10-19-03, 10:43 AM
squarehat
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Thanks so much!

Originally posted by XvWesvX
tiguy99-
Your links where very useful. Im somewhat affaird to rip my head lights up, because of the fact its the only car I own is my Lex. If make a huge mess of my lights I wont have a car to drive. Is there anyway I could waste a ton of money by paying someone to install them for me? Also how off is this picture? My lights dont look as yellow as your picture is.
I fall into the exact same situation as you with regards to being afraid of messing up my factory lights. There is a place in CA called Illusion Lighting that does incredible projector retrofits. If I lived within driving distance, you can bet my wallet would be $750 lighter right now
Old 02-20-05, 11:47 AM
tiguy99
Pole Position

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Wow this is an old thread! I'm curious as to what the update is on everything. I bet hid retros are alot more common now since the last time we visited this thread. I've been frequenting www.hidplanet.com/forums for my info now a days. Some CL members have posted their work there also. As for my advise, I'm not sure why I didnt' say this before but, grab a spare set of headlamps and work on those. That way you can install them when you're finished and take your time with it.