LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Power Steering Pump Video

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-23, 08:47 AM
Tappy
Pit Crew

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Power Steering Pump Video

I wanted to share this video of my power steering pump that went bad all of a sudden.

There’s also air in the power steering fluid.

The sound is more pronounced when I am turning the steering wheel during parking. It looks like I am missing a screw or something on the power steering pump in the video?

Can you help me confirm the power steering pump being bad before I purchase another one? I’ve also read that the power steering air control valve or something along those lines could also be bad.

Last edited by Tappy; 03-11-23 at 09:24 AM.
Old 03-11-23, 03:55 PM
Arsenii
Pole Position

Received 794 Likes on 666 Posts

Hello,

Sounds like there is a hole somewhere in the system that allows air to get trapped, causing the foam in the fluid, and cavitation in the pump, hence the sound you hear. Look through your entire system, check that all the lines and seals are more or less intact. The Idle-Up Valve could be a cause, but since the intake has vacuum in it, it tends to suck the ATF into the engine instead, causing stuff like blue smoke from the exhaust, or generally the condition as if the engine is worn out.

Your pump does appear to be leaking, which is never a good sign, especially considering that your alternator is right under it, which is a common cause for alternator brushes to fail prematurely. There are OEM rebuild kits out there to stop it from leaking (P/N: 04446-30172), and the price is relatively modest, but you have to understand that a rebuild kit won't magically bring your pump back from scrap, it will only stop the leak, so whether to rebuild this pump or get a different one will highly depend on how far yours is gone. If it's not your daily-driver, take the pump apart and check its condition, then go from there.

Hope this helps and best of luck!
The following 2 users liked this post by Arsenii:
Tappy (04-05-23), Yamae (03-11-23)
Old 03-12-23, 09:58 AM
Tappy
Pit Crew

Thank you, I appreciate the reply. What is also odd is that power steering fluid reservoir seems to be maintaining fluid at about the low level mark of the dipstick. I thought this was odd since I would expect the reservoir to be empty by now.
Old 03-14-23, 10:48 AM
Arsenii
Pole Position

Received 794 Likes on 666 Posts

Originally Posted by Tappy
Thank you, I appreciate the reply. What is also odd is that power steering fluid reservoir seems to be maintaining fluid at about the low level mark of the dipstick. I thought this was odd since I would expect the reservoir to be empty by now.
It appears that the level already dropped below the crack in the system, so instead of leaking fluid, it starts sucking air into the system, hence why the level stays close to being the same, while you get foam in the fluid.

Hope this helps and best of luck!
Old 04-03-23, 11:19 PM
Tappy
Pit Crew

It seems that my problem is fixed after replacing the power steering pump, the two hoses that attach to the power steering fluid reservoir, then two vacuum lines that go to the air control valve, and the banjo bolt along with the washer.
The following 2 users liked this post by Tappy:
400fanboy (04-04-23), BNastee (04-04-23)
Old 04-04-23, 07:41 AM
BNastee
Pit Crew

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Tappy
It seems that my problem is fixed after replacing the power steering pump, the two hoses that attach to the power steering fluid reservoir, then two vacuum lines that go to the air control valve, and the banjo bolt along with the washer.
Thank you for reporting back what the fix was!
Old 04-04-23, 12:55 PM
Tappy
Pit Crew

For sure. After replacing all of those parts I had to get the air out of the power steering system. The car was on jacks and I first kept on turning the steering wheel left until it locks then right until it locks. Kept on doing that for maybe 10 minutes. Started the car and then did the same thing with the car still on the Jack stands. Then I finally test drove it. Steering was better, but still hard compared to what it should be. So, I just kept on driving inside the neighborhood and making many turns. Went back home, filled up the PS reservoir with more fluid and the problem was fixed.