LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

1991 LS400 Overheating

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-23 | 12:24 PM
aptoslexus
Advanced

Originally Posted by Pigweed
Thanks for your advice! When you say Toyota red, can i just buy Asian vehicle red coolant from O'Rileys or similar store? Or do I need to buy Toyota red coolant from a Toyota dealer? I want to do it the right way.
Yeah, you can. I'm using Zerex asian coolant. It's perfectly fine.
Old 04-22-23 | 12:41 PM
TominPT
Instructor

When you drain your radiator, look to see if there is a crud/particulate matter/goo in the fluid. If so you should fill and flush the radiator several times at least to get most or all of it out. As deanshark mentioned earlier, when you are ready to fill a final time you need to make sure that all the air is out of the system or it will run hot. When you think it is "full" of coolant, go for a drive to bring it up to temp, let it cool overnight, and then fill the overflow tank to the cold fill line. Repeat a few times.
I just had a timing belt job done in my '98 and the process of filling the cooling system and getting all the air out took a surprising amount of time.
Old 04-22-23 | 12:59 PM
paulo57509
Instructor

It shouldn't take a lot of time to bleed the air out of a VVTi 1uz. Starting with a completely empty system (engine and radiator drained of coolant):
  1. Remove the cap from the reservoir tank.
  2. Remove the fill plug from the throttle body and fill the cooling system until coolant reaches the LOW level line on the reservoir.
  3. Replace and tighten the fill plug at the throttle body.
  4. Turn the ignition to on - set the HVAC controls to full hot (some set the blower on high but I don't see how this helps - it can't hurt).
  5. Start the engine and run it at 2000RPM until the temp gauge needle lifts off minimum or until it reaches the first "tick" mark.
  6. Allow the engine to cool and top off the reservoir.