LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Speedometer/mileage inop after engine swap

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-23, 09:43 AM
yukinon
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Speedometer/mileage inop after engine swap

i recently had to get my engine replaced, timing pulley failed and made the engine stop abruptly and blew the engine. car runs/shifts perfectly fine but the only issue i’m having is my speedometer isn’t working and my mileage is no longer going up, it’s stuck at 346,437. used to work before swapping in the new engine. rpm’s, coolant temp, and gas gauge work fine.

i’m thinking the mechanic possibly forgot a connection to the transmission speed sensor maybe? he had to pull the motor and transmission out together because he couldn’t access the converter bolts since the engine wouldn’t turn over. i know that my speed gauge worked fine before but had some issues not working, but would eventually spring up and start working while driving for a bit. but that’s not happening anymore and of course the mileage hasn’t gone up.

ABS/VSC light is on also, codes were pulled and it’s P0340 and two other codes for the converters that come and go. is there speed sensors around the front brakes? had my front rotors and pads replaced. other than that, im happy to be back in my LS400, it’s been way too long!
Old 05-28-23, 08:08 PM
Yamae

Received 894 Likes on 675 Posts

I worry that the ABS computer is not working.

Both the speedometer and the odometer are getting the drive signal from the ABS computer as is below diagram. The transmission has a rotation sensor at the output shaft and it's signal is sent to the ABS computer and is used as a reference signal to compare with processed signals from ABS sensors. So when the ABS computer is stopped working, the speedometer and the odometer have no idea to work as well as the ABS/VSC light is on. I'd check the ABS computer/harnesses and related fuses.

Old 05-29-23, 06:00 AM
yukinon
Rookie

i will get that checked out. are we talking about the ABS module inside the engine bay or the ECU/PCM located by the glove department area? all the fuses looked good and none of them were blown.
Originally Posted by Yamae

Both the speedometer and the odometer are getting the drive signal from the ABS computer as is below diagram. The transmission has a rotation sensor at the output shaft and it's signal is sent to the ABS computer and is used as a reference signal to compare with processed signals from ABS sensors. So when the ABS computer is stopped working, the speedometer and the odometer have no idea to work as well as the ABS/VSC light is on. I'd check the ABS computer/harnesses and related fuses.
Old 05-29-23, 09:57 PM
Yamae

Originally Posted by yukinon
i will get that checked out. are we talking about the ABS module inside the engine bay or the ECU/PCM located by the glove department area? all the fuses looked good and none of them were blown.
A JDM Celcior has the ABS/VSC computer near the blower fan motor like this below. A USDM may be the similar but the side is different. It is under the dash and it can't be accessed from the engine compartment room. What I worry about is that related harnesse(s) were damaged when the engine swap was done. The ABS solenoid module is located close to the engine and also the power wires are coming from the fuse box.

Last edited by Yamae; 05-29-23 at 10:08 PM.
Old 05-30-23, 06:48 AM
yukinon
Rookie

okay, i believe i got the ABS/VSC computer rebuilt before the engine swap. i’ll double check with the mechanic and have him check that out and see if the module was damaged during the swap.
A JDM Celcior has the ABS/VSC computer near the blower fan motor like this below. A USDM may be the similar but the side is different. It is under the dash and it can't be accessed from the engine compartment room. What I worry about is that related harnesse(s) were damaged when the engine swap was done. The ABS solenoid module is located close to the engine and also the power wires are coming from the fuse box.
Old 05-30-23, 07:08 AM
Yamae

The insufficient information would be returning to you and you'd be lost. You should had written about the fact about the rebuilt when you started the thread. I wonder how and who rebuilt the ABS/VSC computer? I'd say it's not simple and easy to rebuilt it because it requires many simulation tools and equipments. What else have you done other than the engine swap?
Old 05-30-23, 08:17 AM
yukinon
Rookie

the guy who did it for me was Josh from Relentless Motorsports, heard everybody goes to him for rebuilds. nothing else has been done besides the engine swap, car is all stock and no modifications
The insufficient information would be returning to you and you'd be lost. You should had written about the fact about the rebuilt when you started the thread. I wonder how and who rebuilt the ABS/VSC computer? I'd say it's not simple and easy to rebuilt it because it requires many simulation tools and equipments. What else have you done other than the engine swap?
Old 05-31-23, 04:50 PM
Yamae

the guy who did it for me was Josh from Relentless Motorsports, heard everybody goes to him for rebuilds. nothing else has been done besides the engine swap, car is all stock and no modifications
Speaking of Mr. Josh from Relentless Motorsports, you once have written, "he put the wrong caps in them and I sent it back" at here. I have to say that it's not good. I hope your ABS computer was properly rebuilt by him.
Old 05-31-23, 07:53 PM
yukinon
Rookie

yes he did do that, hoping he at least did the ABS computer correctly… i could always get it sent to him to double check his work and see if it’s okay if nothing works out.

so what i’m hearing from you is, the mph/mileage trip comes from the ABS module and not a transmission sensor correct?
Speaking of Mr. Josh from Relentless Motorsports, you once have written, "he put the wrong caps in them and I sent it back" at here. I have to say that it's not good. I hope your ABS computer was properly rebuilt by him.
Old 05-31-23, 08:17 PM
paulo57509
Instructor

Received 218 Likes on 189 Posts

yes he did do that, hoping he at least did the ABS computer correctly… i could always get it sent to him to double check his work and see if it’s okay if nothing works out.

so what i’m hearing from you is, the mph/mileage trip comes from the ABS module and not a transmission sensor correct?
Based on your symptoms and evidence, yes.