LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Advice\debrief after my first spark plug change

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-23, 08:54 PM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Received 243 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by 400fanboy
I'm now worried about the AVIS system in my car lol. I've never seen it discussed here - never even knew it was a thing. The default position is open for low-end power, but I wonder how many people's cars are failing to open for the shorter intake runner at high rpm's.
that's a nice advantage to the JBrady intake, with the modified air filter housing you can easily hear the change just before 5000 rpm

although tbh i could've gone my entire life without knowing a set of valves were opening lol... it's not like VTEC or VVT-iL where there's a sudden sharp power increase
Old 07-15-23, 09:19 PM
400fanboy
Racer

Received 424 Likes on 331 Posts

That outside video sure does sound like Vtech lol

I do notice a sharp power increase... but not at 5000tbh. I always thought the power step ups were from VVTI. Rather than variable intake runner lengths. Wild stuff. I thought the changes were all from the VVTI side of things.
Old 07-15-23, 09:38 PM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

That outside video sure does sound like Vtech lol

I do notice a sharp power increase... but not at 5000tbh. I always thought the power step ups were from VVTI. Rather than variable intake runner lengths. Wild stuff. I thought the changes were all from the VVTI side of things.
a good amount of my knowledge about this engine's inner workings are from reading through this old lexus techinfo document:

https://web.archive.org/web/20120917...uz-History.pdf

i'm sure someone on this site originally directed me there lol... but about half way down the document it goes into the noteworthy changes between the 1997 and 1998 engine and it's just crazy to see the amount of effort toyota made back in the day! the heads, ports, injectors, ignition, throttle control, cooling, pistons, and even the block itself have all been modified (just to name a few)
The following 2 users liked this post by Stroock639:
400fanboy (07-16-23), cj98ls (07-15-23)
Old 07-15-23, 09:48 PM
cj98ls
Driver

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Stroock639 - Thanks for the link to the 1uz and ls400 history pdf. Good stuff!
Old 07-16-23, 01:00 AM
400fanboy
Racer

Originally Posted by Stroock639
a good amount of my knowledge about this engine's inner workings are from reading through this old lexus techinfo document:

https://web.archive.org/web/20120917...uz-History.pdf

i'm sure someone on this site originally directed me there lol... but about half way down the document it goes into the noteworthy changes between the 1997 and 1998 engine and it's just crazy to see the amount of effort toyota made back in the day! the heads, ports, injectors, ignition, throttle control, cooling, pistons, and even the block itself have all been modified (just to name a few)
Oh my that's a full breakdown. Of... everything. I've learned more today about the differences in the engine. They really do seem to be substantial. No wonder the engine makes more power basically everywhere under the curve, and combined with the 5 speed tranny, still gets better fuel economy.

I really want to drive one of the normal 1UZ's to see how much of a difference it makes. What does the engine feel like at high load, low RPM where VVTI is really doing it's work. Peak torque of the OG 1UZ was at FIVE THOUSAND RPM! VVTI moved it down to 3600 in a much broader curve. Incredible.

While reading this document, I also just realized something is broken on my car. The mirrors should tilt down when I select reverse. My car has never done this.

Last edited by 400fanboy; 07-16-23 at 01:05 AM.
Old 07-16-23, 02:20 AM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

While reading this document, I also just realized something is broken on my car. The mirrors should tilt down when I select reverse. My car has never done this.
oh you may be in luck here lol... this is likely just the mirror switch being in the middle position, if it is then move it (to either side doesn't matter which) and now see if it happens

i have driven a 1996 LS btw and it feels almost equivalent to crown vic interceptor performance, mind you it was literally matt farah's million mile lexus haha but even with 980,000 miles at the time was still quiet and luxurious

but yea after going through that it's apparent how the 3UZ in the 430 is much more like the VVT-i 1UZ than the latter is to previous iterations of the 1UZ... not sure why the power levels never increased in the 6 years of the 430 though
Old 07-16-23, 09:52 AM
aptoslexus
Advanced

Received 79 Likes on 65 Posts

Uhm... I also just found this on the floor next to where I put all of the plastic trim pieces (intake, vanity cover, etc).

I have no idea where it came from.

There's a metal sleeve like that that always falls out of mine. Air filter box. Where it bolts up next to the coolant reservoir.
The following users liked this post:
400fanboy (07-16-23)
Old 07-16-23, 02:02 PM
400fanboy
Racer

Originally Posted by Stroock639
oh you may be in luck here lol... this is likely just the mirror switch being in the middle position, if it is then move it (to either side doesn't matter which) and now see if it happens

i have driven a 1996 LS btw and it feels almost equivalent to crown vic interceptor performance, mind you it was literally matt farah's million mile lexus haha but even with 980,000 miles at the time was still quiet and luxurious

but yea after going through that it's apparent how the 3UZ in the 430 is much more like the VVT-i 1UZ than the latter is to previous iterations of the 1UZ... not sure why the power levels never increased in the 6 years of the 430 though
Ahh Farah's car. Really was the village bicycle for quite a while. That was part of the reason why I bought my 400 honestly. He was in the middle of that when I bought mine.

Also wtf @ the mirrors. I shouldn't have to select it. It should just move them, regardless of where that switch is. I like having it in the neutral spot so I don't accidentally move them or something. I'll give it a whirl, next time I drive the car, thanks.
Old 07-16-23, 06:11 PM
aptoslexus
Advanced

Received 79 Likes on 65 Posts

This is a picture of mine. I think all three bolts on the air filter housing have these. There's rubber grommets on each side of the threaded bolt hole that hold the metal sleeve. The grommets deteriorate and lose grip on the metal sleeve and eventually are destroyed or lost. I only had one side for this bolt

The following users liked this post:
400fanboy (07-16-23)
Old 07-16-23, 06:41 PM
cj98ls
Driver

As to question 1 on the original post. I don't remember where I saw or read it, but after you change/modify some of the ecm connected sensors the computer needs some time to incorporate the changes into the "map". The suggestion I recall was to turn on the key and let the ecm sit and think about things for a bit before starting, and for some reason two minutes (?) springs to mind, you don't have the concern of it not starting right up.
Old 07-16-23, 07:13 PM
400fanboy
Racer

Originally Posted by cj98ls
As to question 1 on the original post. I don't remember where I saw or read it, but after you change/modify some of the ecm connected sensors the computer needs some time to incorporate the changes into the "map". The suggestion I recall was to turn on the key and let the ecm sit and think about things for a bit before starting, and for some reason two minutes (?) springs to mind, you don't have the concern of it not starting right up.
Interesting. So, I did replace the coolant temp sensor but it's a pretty dumb sensor. It's just a standard two wire plug. Didn't replace any coils either. However, I did pull the negative lead on the battery as part of my work. I suspect this is probably related to it. The car went a bit wonky when I first powered it on (as it always does after battery disconnect, tho never have had trouble starting).

& when I plugged everything back in, the battery was connected for 5-10 minutes before I tried to start the car. & I didn't wait 2 minutes, but I turned the key to ignition w\out starting the car just like you said. Though I didn't leave it there for 2 minutes. I had a VSC light and I think I sat there for maybe 30-60 seconds. The VSC light went away I believe the 2nd time I tried starting the car (when it did finally catch).

To me, it did not feel like sensor calibration. It felt like the engine was flooded. It kept creeping closer and closer and closer to "catching" as it was cranking. And it stumbled over itself\ignited a few times before it finally did catch and run smoothly.
Old 07-16-23, 07:17 PM
400fanboy
Racer

Originally Posted by aptoslexus
This is a picture of mine. I think all three bolts on the air filter housing have these. There's rubber grommets on each side of the threaded bolt hole that hold the metal sleeve. The grommets deteriorate and lose grip on the metal sleeve and eventually are destroyed or lost. I only had one side for this bolt

Oh well that's very interesting. Wonderful find! When I pulled the intake off the car, I can say with 100% confidence those were not there.

The rubber grommet is nowhere to be found. & when I put everything back... I just bolted it back up without them. I'm going to imagine they are a vibration damper to cut down some intake resonance or something. I think I can live without it. Thanks so much!
Old 07-16-23, 09:26 PM
cj98ls
Driver

I just looked at the grommets on my air filter housing and they appear to be one piece. In the second image of aptoslexus' post i think you can make out where the grommet split. I'm guessing that it's hard as a rock at this point, as mine are. Does anyone have any experience with 3d printers and if there is a material which the 3d printers can use to print up a pliable rubber-like grommet to replace our ancient and dessicated ones? There doesn't appear to be a part number for them on partsfan, they're part of the "air cleaner cover" and the "engine air intake hose" and not available separately.
Old 07-16-23, 09:40 PM
400fanboy
Racer

Mine have the rubber grommets still. Interesting.

Old 07-16-23, 10:01 PM
cj98ls
Driver

Yeah, there are three on the air cleaner box. Have you still got one on the plastic cover over the radiator near the battery?

Last edited by cj98ls; 07-16-23 at 10:11 PM.

Quick Reply: Advice\debrief after my first spark plug change