LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Lexus 2000 LS400- Slow shifting Transmission when cold

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-24, 08:12 AM
Crossfield
8th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Lexus 2000 LS400- Slow shifting Transmission when cold

Slow shifting Transmission when cold. Transmission has new fluid and filter. Could this be the Selonoid pack?
Old 01-07-24, 10:18 AM
bradland

Received 678 Likes on 554 Posts

Originally Posted by Crossfield
Slow shifting Transmission when cold. Transmission has new fluid and filter. Could this be the Selonoid pack?
What type of fluid did you use? Toyota T-IV?
New fluid is somewhat meaningless if you didn't use T-IV or if the level is not correct.
If the issue only presents when cold the fluid level may be low.
Old 01-07-24, 10:55 AM
paulo57509
Instructor

Received 214 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by Crossfield
If by slow shifting you mean it stays in gear for a while before upshifting (delayed shift)? This could be a normal and common occurrence. Typically it's the 2-3 shift that's delayed and only happens after an overnight start-up. Once it upshifts it doesn't happen the rest of the day.

Or are you trying to describe slow/delayed engagement when shifting from P to R or D?
The following users liked this post:
BNastee (01-10-24)
Old 01-07-24, 08:19 PM
Crossfield
8th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I used Toyota Transmission oil , I believe that the shifting maybe quite normal as it shifts from I st to second when cold but once warmed uo shifts easy to second . More of a delay than a problem than a major issue .
Thanks
Old 01-08-24, 06:53 AM
GoldStar
Rookie

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Generally, PCMs are programmed to hold lower gears a bit longer after a cold soak to get the engine revs high for a bit. This helps the engine get to operating temps quicker, meaning better emissions quicker. My 2nd gen Avalon does the same thing with it's 4 speed.
BNastee (01-10-24)
Old 01-08-24, 09:26 AM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Received 239 Likes on 180 Posts

did it always behave like this or is it suddenly different after the fluid change? it's totally normal to shift slow when cold, and it'll hold 2nd gear until about 2500 rpm when the coolant is still below 100°F but only on the first run through the gears
Old 01-08-24, 12:49 PM
CLLEXUSS
Intermediate

Received 83 Likes on 67 Posts

My 2000 does the same exact thing, perfectly normal.
BNastee (01-10-24)
Old 01-09-24, 08:03 AM
crowe
10th Gear

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Same on my 1998, normal.
BNastee (01-10-24)
Old 01-09-24, 12:55 PM
GeenIdee
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

'99, same ****. Annoys the heck out of me.

What also annoys the crap out of me is the stupid quick shifting. Not a big deal, until you're in traffic. And when you slow down to a 2nd / 3rd gear speed, it decides to trow it back to first to begin with and then go back to 3rd while you haven't even increased speed from that point.

Lately I shift manually when I'm in a traffic jam
Old 01-09-24, 02:40 PM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by GeenIdee

What also annoys the crap out of me is the stupid quick shifting. Not a big deal, until you're in traffic. And when you slow down to a 2nd / 3rd gear speed, it decides to trow it back to first to begin with and then go back to 3rd while you haven't even increased speed from that point.

yea it can be a bit stumbly in slow moving traffic... a big part of it i think is just how the torque converter is designed to work, it doesn't lock up unless you really step on it or if you're cruising at >45 mph in 5th

the key to minimizing that traffic jerkiness it to be veryyyyyy gentle on the gas until you can feel the "slack" taken out of the drivetrain and you've got some momentum going
Old 01-09-24, 05:21 PM
Yamae

Received 886 Likes on 668 Posts

Originally Posted by GeenIdee

Don't you have this type of quoted symptom below?
Originally Posted by 400fanboy
The symptoms:
In situations where the car downshifts into first gear as you're decelerating (generally to 5mph or so), the moment you get back onto the throttle the engine surges and the car will jerk forward unless you are extremely careful on the throttle. I've always told friends "you have to get used to it" as anyone who drove my car would always make the car do this.
If so, you'd better to read this thread and clean the throttle body and air mix passages.
Old 01-09-24, 05:44 PM
400fanboy
Racer

Received 423 Likes on 330 Posts

The smoothness of the shifts is improved, but it doesn't stop the car from the car shifting into 1st gear unnecessarily. In my opinion, the car should stay in second instead of downshifting to first under these very light throttle applications where you don't come to a complete stop.

I actually find myself engaging the SNOW traction control setting during these low-speed situations. The shift logic programming in this mode is much more adept for the 0-15mph stop & go traffic, as the transmission will not shift into first unnecessarily.
BNastee (01-10-24)
Old 01-12-24, 08:17 AM
Losiracer2
Racer

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

The very first 2-3 shift of the day mine also shifts around 2700RPM and then its fine. I think its a quirk that these A650E transmissions exhibit in the 98-00s. Maybe something programmed into the shift logic to get the fluid flowing from a cold start, idk. But it will seemingly hold at 2500rpm until you reach that 2700RPM threshold then it'll shift fine. I played around with it for a block one time by not going over that engine speed and sure enough it didn't shift until I crossed that point.

But if you have jerkiness, clean the airmix paths in the throttle body, that helps with part throttle air flow and smooths out the low speed, in-traffic shifting. That or your mounts are worn out and causing excess slop in the driveline. Replace with OEM they're under $300 for all three (2 hydraulic engine mounts, and 1 transmission mount) Your car's NVH and smoothness will be restored like brand new again.
Old 01-12-24, 10:59 AM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Losiracer2
The very first 2-3 shift of the day mine also shifts around 2700RPM and then its fine. I think its a quirk that these A650E transmissions exhibit in the 98-00s. Maybe something programmed into the shift logic to get the fluid flowing from a cold start, idk. But it will seemingly hold at 2500rpm until you reach that 2700RPM threshold then it'll shift fine. I played around with it for a block one time by not going over that engine speed and sure enough it didn't shift until I crossed that point.
definitely something programmed in... using my OBD II adaptor + engine link app to monitor live sensor readings i was able to see that the holding 2nd gear 'quirk' only happens as long as the coolant is still below ≈100°F or so, which is the point at which the physical needle will just start to move off its peg

also even if the coolant is still below the minimum temperature it won't hold 2nd in the same way if it's already done a 2nd to 3rd shift, and it won't again until the next cold start... it's only the first 2nd to 3rd shift of any given drive that it does this
Old 01-12-24, 01:15 PM
GeenIdee
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Ye to me it also feels like it's programmed in. The same as that it holds gear above +/- 60 (100kph), but it releases the clutches below 60 so the engine goes to neutral.

Can't say its jerky, perhaps when cold but that's not weird tbh.

I wonder if anyone ever reprogrammed the TCU

Quick Reply: Lexus 2000 LS400- Slow shifting Transmission when cold