LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Leaking ECU Caps???

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-24, 07:21 PM
Hatels400
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Leaking ECU Caps???

I知 dealing with a no spark situation on 4 cylinders and I narrowed it down to ecu crank or can sensor. I知 checking out my ecu that was rebuilt by Module Mechanics and I cannot tell if the caps they used are low ESR or not and I cannot tell if my one capacitor is leaking again or if they did not clean the board all the way in one spot.

The spot is right next to the blue capacitor you may have to zoom in to see it. Any input would be amazing. Thanks!

EDIT: I found 3 more capacitors with brown liquidy looking stuff under it near the solder. Does this mean my capacitors are leaking? The previous owner had it rebuilt very cheap compared to other companies.

Last edited by Hatels400; 01-22-24 at 07:31 PM. Reason: Added info
Old 01-22-24, 09:02 PM
Yamae

Received 883 Likes on 666 Posts

I can recognize that those black capacitors are manufactured by Taiwanese company KEMET. I haven't evaluated any KEMET's capacitors and I can't say any about those. Once one of my colleagues had evaluated many Taiwanese electrolytic capacitors and reported that we'd better to stick to Japanese manufactures. As I see the photo, the leaked liquid is there on the board and traces are not in good conditions. The replacement job was not done properly, I must say.

If I were you, at first I'd be starting to check traces very carefully and decide what to do next.
The following 2 users liked this post by Yamae:
CELSI0R (01-22-24), LeX2K (01-22-24)
Old 01-22-24, 09:27 PM
Hatels400
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Yamae
I can recognize that those black capacitors are manufactured by Taiwanese company KEMET. I haven't evaluated any KEMET's capacitors and I can't say any about those. Once one of my colleagues had evaluated many Taiwanese electrolytic capacitors and reported that we'd better to stick to Japanese manufactures. As I see the photo, the leaked liquid is there on the board and traces are not in good conditions. The replacement job was not done properly, I must say.

If I were you, at first I'd be starting to check traces very carefully and decide what to do next.
thank you Yamae I was hoping you would reply to my post lol. That capacitor was the worst one I had. The other 2 are just starting to leak and I emailed Tanin to look into a rebuild about 10 minutes later. Do you know what their prices for a rebuild are? Do you think my ECU is in good enough condition for a rebuild in the first place? One important thing I致e learned from this is to stay away from Module Mechanics! The previous owner paid around 180 for a rebuild and clearly it did not last. It痴 been less than a year!
Old 01-23-24, 06:03 AM
Yamae

I don't know prices there in North America since I live in Japan and I myself am quite comfortable doing electronics related jobs. I have never asked vendors to replace capacitors.

More than 2 decades have past since those ECUs were manufactured. Many of them are now leaking the liquid named QAS and traces are damaged. Some boards have missing traces and it's not easy to fix. You need to check the continuity and if they are all OK or repairable, go ahead and replace capacitors after traces are all fixed.
The following users liked this post:
Hatels400 (01-23-24)
Old 01-23-24, 06:51 AM
GoldStar
Rookie

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

While I can't speak specifically for LS400 ECU repairs, I've heard good things about Relentless Motorsports here in Texas regarding other electronic repair work they do. Their site does mention supporting engine control computers.
Hatels400 (01-23-24)
Old 01-23-24, 07:40 AM
Hatels400
Driver School Candidate

I emailed the company that originally repaired the ecu and they sent me this:

I talked to the guy I bought the car from and he痴 saying that he was never notified of this and he seems trustworthy for the most part. Could this be the company just trying to lie themselves out of responsibility?
Old 01-24-24, 11:54 PM
Yamae

So the company Module Mechanics thought that the unit cannot be repaired.

Anyway, as I see your photo, at least the trace indicated by 2 red arrows is in very bad condition. It is almost missing.

Old 01-25-24, 04:22 AM
Hatels400
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Yamae
So the company Module Mechanics thought that the unit cannot be repaired.

Anyway, as I see your photo, at least the trace indicated by 2 red arrows is in very bad condition. It is almost missing.

I see that now thank you Yamae. I知 probably just gonna order a used ecu off eBay and get that one repaired. I don稚 wanna pay the $140 at Tanin just for them to tell me it can稚 be repaired. Thank you!
Old 01-25-24, 11:56 AM
LILEVO
Advanced

Received 225 Likes on 111 Posts

ecus stink. hard repairs
Hatels400 (01-25-24)
Old 01-25-24, 11:58 AM
TaninAuto
Sponsor

Received 111 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Hatels400
I see that now thank you Yamae. I’m probably just gonna order a used ecu off eBay and get that one repaired. I don’t wanna pay the $140 at Tanin just for them to tell me it can’t be repaired. Thank you!
You don't need to pay us anything. We would recommend a replacement.

We created a short article about ECU repair to hopefully clarify some lingering questions out there across the Lexus and Toyota brand.

The TRUTH about Lexus and Toyota ECU Repairs and Rebuilds
www.taninautoelectronix.com

Hatels400 (01-25-24)
Old 01-25-24, 12:12 PM
Hatels400
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by TaninAuto
You don't need to pay us anything. We would recommend a replacement.

We created a short article about ECU repair to hopefully clarify some lingering questions out there across the Lexus and Toyota brand.

The TRUTH about Lexus and Toyota ECU Repairs and Rebuilds
thank you! You guys are goated