LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Need help replacing power steering pump

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-24, 07:52 PM
RiasNoSweet
7th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Need help replacing power steering pump

This morning I posted about my power steering pump going bad, I want to attempt to replace it myself over the weekend, I’m not a mechanic by any means but I’d prefer to save the money and learn how to work on the car myself.

I wanted to ask for any advice before going into it and maybe any video recommendations that can help me along the way.

Much appreciated
The following users liked this post:
BNastee (02-15-24)
Old 02-14-24, 07:58 PM
400fanboy
Racer

Received 424 Likes on 331 Posts

http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/steer...mpremoval.html

This can and will vary depending on the year of your car, as things were changed over the 1UZ's lifetime.

If you're going to replace the pump - highly recommend replacing the IAC valve and the two associated vacuum lines leading to it while you're in there. It's like 7 cents in parts, but a royal pain in the *** to do with the pump still on the car. If you're taking it off, you should really service those too.
RiasNoSweet (02-14-24)
Old 02-14-24, 08:48 PM
bradland

Received 685 Likes on 561 Posts

Originally Posted by 400fanboy
http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/steer...mpremoval.html

This can and will vary depending on the year of your car, as things were changed over the 1UZ's lifetime.

If you're going to replace the pump - highly recommend replacing the IAC valve and the two associated vacuum lines leading to it while you're in there. It's like 7 cents in parts, but a royal pain in the *** to do with the pump still on the car. If you're taking it off, you should really service those too.
7 cents? As in 7 American Pennie’s..?!?
The valve is over $100.
The short hose is $40 and the longer of the 2 is almost $50.
Those are the current prices at Bell Lexus which is currently a 14% off sale I think it ends tonight.
Old 02-14-24, 09:52 PM
400fanboy
Racer

Received 424 Likes on 331 Posts

https://www.amayama.com/en/part/toyota/1763016040
https://www.amayama.com/en/part/toyota/1734250090
https://www.amayama.com/en/part/toyota/1734350070

$100 plus shipping, which shouldn't get you anywhere close to the $200+! Bell wants. The hoses for 95-97 cars are even cheaper, $10\ea.

Amayama and local lexus dealers sometimes are better than the other. I was looking at brake pads the other day and Amayama wants nearly double the local price. So, they don't win every time, but this time they do.

But yes you're right I was being a bit snarky when I said 7 cents each lol. In the scheme of a pump, it's not too bad. Those vacuum lines really should be replaced, they get pretty good split ends from all the times they have to be removed.

Last edited by 400fanboy; 02-14-24 at 09:59 PM.
BNastee (02-15-24)
Old 02-15-24, 11:31 AM
aptoslexus
Advanced

Received 79 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by RiasNoSweet
This morning I posted about my power steering pump going bad, I want to attempt to replace it myself over the weekend, I’m not a mechanic by any means but I’d prefer to save the money and learn how to work on the car myself.

I wanted to ask for any advice before going into it and maybe any video recommendations that can help me along the way.

Much appreciated
Flush the old fluid out before you do anything else. Plenty of Youtube videos on doing it, but don't skip this step.
Old 02-15-24, 05:14 PM
CELSI0R
Racer

Received 295 Likes on 232 Posts

Much appreciated
Before you go changing your pump, please check my last reply to your other thread:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...s-burning.html

I realized - your pump may not have failed. You could have a seized or failing pulley that caused your accessory belt to drag, therefore also causing the alternator to not produce enough charge. This may have been the burning smell..

Please check that out before going forward with the power steering system.
The following 3 users liked this post by CELSI0R:
BNastee (02-16-24), RiasNoSweet (02-15-24), Yamae (02-16-24)
Old 02-15-24, 05:38 PM
RiasNoSweet
7th Gear

How would I know if it is seized, or is there anything I should be looking for when checking it out I'm going to start looking at it tomorrow afternoon
Old 02-15-24, 05:54 PM
bradland

Originally Posted by RiasNoSweet;[url=tel:11669782
11669782]How would I know if it is seized, or is there anything I should be looking for when checking it out I'm going to start looking at it tomorrow afternoon
Seized=frozen aka unable or very difficult to spin.
Specifically the idler pulley or the tensioner pulley, both of which should spin freely when they are healthy.
Old 02-15-24, 09:13 PM
CELSI0R
Racer

This is one good video on diagnosing your pulleys:

I do not recommend the procedure from 3:52 - 4:53 on our engines. It will be difficult as there's not a ton of space, and you really do not want to catch your hand in the radiator fan...

Any of the pulleys the accessory belt is driving could be your problem. Check your idler pulley, tensioner pulley, power steering pulley, alternator pulley, crankshaft pulley, fan bracket pulley, compressor clutch pulley.

To check your pulleys, you will need to loosen your accessory belt, similarly to this video:

Note that you will have to work around the radiator fan to do this. It is possible but will require patience to remove the belt and to put it back on. A routing diagram is shown int he video but it should also be on a sticker on the underside of your hood (unless the panel has been replaced).

If you do not have the tools to do this or you think you might get stuck, check with your mechanic. Once the belt is off, you won't be able to drive the car very far, as you won't have the alternator running

Note that the main difference with the engine in the video is the absence of the radiator fan since it is an SC 400 1UZ-FE. Those cars had a different fan bracket pulley in the same location.

Last edited by CELSI0R; 02-15-24 at 09:44 PM.
RiasNoSweet (02-16-24)
Old 02-16-24, 01:56 PM
RiasNoSweet
7th Gear

Default Update

I just got done looking at the car, went ahead and took off the covers. belt snapped completely all the pulleys spun fine except one I’m assuming it’s the idler pulley ( not 100% sure ) but it seems like everything else is perfectly fine so lucky me just wanna make sure and see what you guys have to say

Pulley
CELSI0R (02-16-24)
Old 02-16-24, 02:56 PM
bradland

I just got done looking at the car, went ahead and took off the covers. belt snapped completely all the pulleys spun fine except one I’m assuming it’s the idler pulley ( not 100% sure ) but it seems like everything else is perfectly fine so lucky me just wanna make sure and see what you guys have to say

Pulley
You didn't specify if it's frozen or just spinning rough but either way just replace it.
This is the closest you'll find to the factory original and it's inexpensive- https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...t=6956&jsn=416
Double check the part number as I guessed on the year model per the coil and cam gear covers seen in the pics.
You want a quality Japanese bearing nothing from China...
Old 02-16-24, 03:56 PM
CELSI0R
Racer

Nice.. Well, technically not nice, but good find The bearing in that pulley looks bad. It should have grease inside and a seal - the ***** should not be visible

Because you said the belt snapped, that was very likely the burning smell you experienced, as it dragged on your idler pulley.

Like bradland said, you can order a good replacement. It would not be a bad idea to hold onto your old pulley in a spare bin, as the bearing could be pressed out if you need it in the future.

Congrats, just saved yourself a lot of time and pain from doing the power steering job
The following 3 users liked this post by CELSI0R:
400fanboy (02-16-24), BNastee (02-19-24), RiasNoSweet (02-16-24)