LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Rear Brake Hose Rubbing

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-24, 09:47 AM
as99east
Pit Crew

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Rear Brake Hose Rubbing

Had my 95 inspected today for my state’s annual required inspection and they showed me that the rear brake hoses that connect to the calipers are rubbing up against the rear sway bar, causing damage to the hoses. Does this mean they were improperly routed at some point or is this a known issue? Thanks in advance for any thoughts. I have replacement hoses for all four corners ordered from amayama.
Old 05-30-24, 10:17 AM
timmy0tool

Received 426 Likes on 380 Posts

make sure the hose leaving the caliper is routing under the sway bar before connecting to the hardline on the inner body. honestly i never paid attention until you mentioned it but it should look like this:

driver's side:

Old 05-30-24, 10:19 AM
as99east
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by timmy0tool
make sure the hose leaving the caliper is routing under the sway bar before connecting to the hardline on the inner body. honestly i never paid attention until you mentioned it but it should look like this:

driver's side:
Perfect thank you. Whoever did it previously seems to have routed it above not below the sway bar, and it is rubbing. I will route under when I replace.
Old 07-15-24, 09:21 AM
as99east
Pit Crew

Now that I repaired both sides posting pictures in case someone searches this thread in the future, showing (1) improper routing, (2) damage from rubbing and (3) proper routing. I guess you would think this would be common sense but I guess the prior owner or his mechanic was rushing or just not really paying attention.

Old 07-15-24, 08:40 PM
bradland

Received 687 Likes on 563 Posts

Originally Posted by as99east
Now that I repaired both sides posting pictures in case someone searches this thread in the future, showing (1) improper routing, (2) damage from rubbing and (3) proper routing. I guess you would think this would be common sense but I guess the prior owner or his mechanic was rushing or just not really paying attention.
Toyota was bright enough to engineer the correct way into the part.
On the caliper side the prong on the end of the hose fits into a hole in the caliper. There's only one way to put it in.
On the hard line side the section of the union that fits into the bracket has flats on 2 sides so it can only go in 2 ways.
If you put it in the wrong way it's pretty obvious it's wrong. Pull it out and twist that end 180 degrees and you're good to go.👍

Old 07-15-24, 09:01 PM
as99east
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by bradland
Toyota was bright enough to engineer the correct way into the part.
On the caliper side the prong on the end of the hose fits into a hole in the caliper. There's only one way to put it in.
On the hard line side the section of the union that fits into the bracket has flats on 2 sides so it can only go in 2 ways.
If you put it in the wrong way it's pretty obvious it's wrong. Pull it out and twist that end 180 degrees and you're good to go.👍

My impression having just done this job and observing that the hoses in there before had these very features is it is still very much possible to route it improperly above the sway bar despite these features. I did take note of them however. I was moving quickly to prevent much leakage so can’t say I fooled around with trying the improper install to prove it. It seems like though with these features it would be harder to install it improperly so at a minimum it sends a strong hint. Just proves importance I guess of slowing down when you can and not forcing stuff. Stopping and thinking about what is the design of this part trying to tell me, which the prior mechanic didn’t do clearly
Old 07-15-24, 09:23 PM
400fanboy
Racer

Received 424 Likes on 331 Posts

Holy ****. Well that just scared the **** out of me - I would have missed that 10 out of 10 days. I do not inspect brake lines that closely, nor to observe them for rubbing if they were improperly routed. Thanks man, that's a big lesson.
Old 07-15-24, 09:31 PM
bradland

Received 687 Likes on 563 Posts

My impression having just done this job and observing that the hoses in there before had these very features is it is still very much possible to route it improperly above the sway bar despite these features. I did take note of them however. I was moving quickly to prevent much leakage so can’t say I fooled around with trying the improper install to prove it. It seems like though with these features it would be harder to install it improperly so at a minimum it sends a strong hint. Just proves importance I guess of slowing down when you can and not forcing stuff. Stopping and thinking about what is the design of this part trying to tell me, which the prior mechanic didn’t do clearly
Agreed.
The aforementioned features can't tell you to route the hose above or below a sway bar.
I guess it's more profound on the front brakes where the caliper swings as the wheel turns. If you put it in wrong it's blatantly obvious turning will present a problem for the hose.
The following users liked this post:
as99east (07-16-24)
Old 07-16-24, 04:02 AM
as99east
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by 400fanboy
Holy ****. Well that just scared the **** out of me - I would have missed that 10 out of 10 days. I do not inspect brake lines that closely, nor to observe them for rubbing if they were improperly routed. Thanks man, that's a big lesson.
Yeah. Credit goes to the garage that did my required annual NY safety inspection, that they flagged this and didn’t try to sell me a new steering rack even though mine is weeping very slowly. They passed me on the inspection without forcing the repair but said it needed to be addressed ASAP. The estimate for parts and labor to do the back hoses was about $500 (another $500 for the fronts), so I decided I would do them myself after getting the OEM hoses for about $15 each off amayama. They came pretty quickly from amayama and I think they fit 1995-2000. My car is a 1995.

Here are the part numbers pictured below for anyone searching this thread. I’m going to do the front hoses also preventatively because they noticed some dry rot. Ones ending 02903 are the rears, 02810 are the fronts. They did NOT ship with replacement washers, so I had to source those separately. I’m bleeding each caliper after doing it and the car is stopping fine but may pay for a shop to do a flush and bleed after all is said and done.