LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Timing belt

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-24, 12:32 PM
haydenadler1
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Timing belt

So im doing my timing belt on my 1998 lexus ls400. Im following online guide linked below. I took the belt off last night, replaced the water pump, let it sit, snd this morning went to put the belt back on. As you can see in the photos, it is WAY out of time. What do I do? Can I just turn the cam back CCW so its in time? The guide says a little is okay, but I feel this is more than just a little.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/landar/4137837977/in/album-72157622886015670/

the white dot is my timing mark on the cam, as you can see its a good inch and a half off

Update: So I simply just turned my cam back ccw, got it into time, and the car runs just fine. For the exception of a massive leak of a mystery fluid (its dripping pretty consistently) and a belt squeak. Figured I would update everyone.

Last edited by haydenadler1; 07-08-24 at 07:16 AM.
Old 07-04-24, 03:05 PM
paulo57509
Instructor

Received 214 Likes on 187 Posts

Just confirming your alignment. It should be:

If you didn't rotate anything, theoretically you should be able to install the belt with the marks lined up on the cam sprockets and it should still be in time.

If you're lucky, you might still be able to rotate the cams into proper alignment without piston/valve clash.

If anything was rotated, you're pretty much screwed. You can't just rotate and align everything to the marks without the belt installed. Because this is an interference engine and you'll get piston/valve clash. The only remedy in this case would be to pull the cams (you need to lock the scissor gears with an M6 bolt before removal), rotate the crankshaft so that No. 1 is at TDC and then drop in the cams with their timing marks lined up.

BTW, the new belt as shown might be backwards with respect to the timing marks. I "think" it makes a difference if the markings are "right reading" facing you as opposed to what's shown in your images.

Last edited by paulo57509; 07-04-24 at 03:10 PM.
Old 07-05-24, 08:24 AM
haydenadler1
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by paulo57509
Just confirming your alignment. It should be:

If you didn't rotate anything, theoretically you should be able to install the belt with the marks lined up on the cam sprockets and it should still be in time.

If you're lucky, you might still be able to rotate the cams into proper alignment without piston/valve clash.

If anything was rotated, you're pretty much screwed. You can't just rotate and align everything to the marks without the belt installed. Because this is an interference engine and you'll get piston/valve clash. The only remedy in this case would be to pull the cams (you need to lock the scissor gears with an M6 bolt before removal), rotate the crankshaft so that No. 1 is at TDC and then drop in the cams with their timing marks lined up.

BTW, the new belt as shown might be backwards with respect to the timing marks. I "think" it makes a difference if the markings are "right reading" facing you as opposed to what's shown in your images.

Well I rotated my crank 50 deg past tdc, so thats why my passanger side cam is rotated. The only one messed up here is my drivers side cam, and in the photo its rotated just a little too far clockwise. if you look at the guide, youll see his passanger side cam matches mine, and his driver side cam is rotated a little more ccw than mine. I looked at my photos that I took previously, and my drivers cam rotated the second i took the belt off, I guess I just never noticed. He says you can rotate it a bit to get it back in time, but I dont know if this is just a bit. I dont wanna mess anything up here
Old 07-05-24, 02:02 PM
dwoods801
Instructor

Received 249 Likes on 203 Posts

Looking at your pictures, I would gently rotate everything backwards (counter clockwise). You’re only going a few degrees, not ideal, but it’ll be ok. If you don’t want to do that, you can spin the cams independently. It’s not ideal, and you want to be gentle doing it, you want to rotate the crank and cams each a little at a time, if you feel something making contact then you need move to the next component, try turning the cams 1/4 a turn then turn the crank a 1/4, you need to get your timing synced up correctly. And you need to do It with the crank on 5deg and the cams on the T mark on the right, if you do it at 0deg, the cams can jump really easily. Once you get everything lined up, jam a big flat head screw driver in where the tensioner raises the idler pulley, so the belt is tight and then rotate the crank a couple times to make sure you’re all synced up. And remember those marks on the belt, are only going to return the original spot after you spin the motor times, o ignore them after you use them for the initial line up
Old 07-05-24, 06:16 PM
Yamae

Received 892 Likes on 673 Posts

I worry that you used an incorrect timing belt. A 98 & up has to have 211 teeth. On the other hand, older models 90-97 209 teeth.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...m-marks-2.html
Old 07-06-24, 12:06 AM
dwoods801
Instructor

Received 249 Likes on 203 Posts

Originally Posted by Yamae
I worry that you used an incorrect timing belt. A 98 & up has to have 211 teeth. On the other hand, older models 90-97 209 teeth.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...m-marks-2.html
why do you suspect he has a belt for a non-VVTi engine? Isn’t the water pump also different from 97 to 98?