LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Jammed trunk ‘90 LS400

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-24, 05:25 PM
400fanboy
Racer

Received 423 Likes on 330 Posts

Yup I was reading your post and I'm like Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh **** that makes a TON of sense, and an overwhelming sense of curiosity hit me. I had to go check. Because after you mentioned it, you're right, his key isn't going in very far at all.

Curious about this one too. What a weird problem to have.
Old 07-15-24, 05:50 PM
CELSI0R
Racer

Received 295 Likes on 232 Posts

It's possible that the camera angle makes it misleading how far away the key is. I have my car parked against a wall while I'm at work, so I couldn't stand in the same spot as HOberst

Unfortunately, my thoughts are still leaning toward broken or jammed latch.. But I will look at my car some more and the manuals
Old 07-15-24, 06:00 PM
400fanboy
Racer

Received 423 Likes on 330 Posts

Is there really no emergency cord to yank? Even if you have to pull the back seats, but at least it would exist. One of the big negatives of having the fuel tank behind the rear seats I guess. You can't have some kid crawl back there and figure it out lol.
Old 07-15-24, 09:49 PM
CELSI0R
Racer

First gens (1990-1994) never had an emergency trunk release unfortunately. It was designed before there were any regulations around that

I don't believe 2nd gens (1995-2000) had the release handles or cords either..
Old 07-16-24, 04:58 PM
HOberst
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CELSI0R
The video is very helpful!!! Thanks for posting that. Also, very nice LS

I was thinking WD-40 in case your lock is jammed, it might free it up. But you're right - it's better to use something like Graphite lock lubricant. Maybe give that a try

Also, I'm not sure, but I'm wondering if something is blocking your key cylinder or binding.

I just went to my car (1991 LS 400) to check how far the key goes into the lock when inserted. To me, yours looks like it's not quite as far in.

Could you compare with yours?

Note that I checked -> I can't turn the key at all until it's fully inserted, so this may not be related to the problem you're having. But I figure it's worth mentioning

hmm interesting. You’re right, my key doesn’t go as far in as yours but I don’t think it ever went in any further yet still was able to release the trunk lock mechanism
Old 07-16-24, 05:01 PM
HOberst
10th Gear

EDIT: I need to do some more thinking.. But here are some notes. If both the power and manual locks don't work, I suspect something is jammed at the striker on the latch, or the latch is broken.

I spent a little extra time going through my files and the service manual

From the service manual:
- The trunk latch has a linkage between it and the lock cylinder, attached with a plastic retaining clip on the back side of the lock cylinder

Here are some views of the trunk panel, highlighting the location of the lock:

And the back side of the cylinder on my car, with the linkage and the retainer above the hole for the tail light:

Here is what the latch looks like with the linkage:
hey thanks for these schematics/diagrams of the trunk mechanism! I wish I could access any of those parts to do something. I really think if I knew where to drill a small hole behind my license plate to access the latch/linkage I would do that at this point
Old 07-16-24, 05:03 PM
HOberst
10th Gear

Originally Posted by 400fanboy
I just experimented on my car, the key in my 98 inserts considerably further in. This being said, it's a much newer car than your 1990. I don't know if this matters.

What I will say is, OP looks like he can rotate the lock in the cylinder. If my key isn't fully inserted, I can't rotate it more than 5-10 degrees. OP can rotate is 40 or 50 degrees, enough that it visually looks like it's working.

ut that doesn't explain why OP's key doesn't go as far in as mine.

Thoughts?

yeah I can verify my key has never gone that far into the trunk. It’s always stuck out a bit farther but still released the trunk.. so I don’t think the issue is how far the key is inserted, unfortunately
Old 07-16-24, 05:05 PM
HOberst
10th Gear

It's possible that the camera angle makes it misleading how far away the key is. I have my car parked against a wall while I'm at work, so I couldn't stand in the same spot as HOberst

Unfortunately, my thoughts are still leaning toward broken or jammed latch.. But I will look at my car some more and the manuals
it’s gotta be a broken or jammed latch as you’re thinking. My key doesn’t go all the way in, that is true however it’s always been that way and I’ve still been able to pop the trunk!
Old 07-16-24, 10:25 PM
CELSI0R
Racer

Originally Posted by HOberst
hey thanks for these schematics/diagrams of the trunk mechanism! I wish I could access any of those parts to do something. I really think if I knew where to drill a small hole behind my license plate to access the latch/linkage I would do that at this point
Let me see if I can figure that out. I haven't had the time to pull back the trunk lining on my car to look yet

In the meantime, I would suggest to try the graphite lock lubricant in the lock cylinder, and to wiggle + rotate your key around to see if you're able to get it to go in further or to unlock

EDIT: As far as I can see, the linkage follows approximately this path

However, if your latch is really stuck, pulling the linkage might not do the job.. The other option would be to remove the 2 bolts holding the latch onto the trunk lid and remove the linkage from the lock cylinder, but you would need enough access.. Probably by removing the inner right tail light... Which is also not easy to do at all from the outside

But consider that the tail light is easier and cheaper to replace than the trunk lid, especially in your color (which is rare). Just make sure one can be purchased before pursuing this option.. And DON'T CUT INTO THE LIGHT WITH THE BATTERY CONNECTED because there is a circuit board and wiring which could short and start a fire...

Routing:
Attached Thumbnails -ls400_trunk_latch_linkage.png  

Last edited by CELSI0R; 07-17-24 at 07:43 AM.
Old 07-17-24, 10:17 AM
HOberst
10th Gear

Originally Posted by 400fanboy
Is there really no emergency cord to yank? Even if you have to pull the back seats, but at least it would exist. One of the big negatives of having the fuel tank behind the rear seats I guess. You can't have some kid crawl back there and figure it out lol.
Correct, no emergency release cord as the car was made about 10 years prior to that being required. And yes, the fuel tank firewall completely blocks access from the back seats. The dealership took them out anyways, only to find there is no trunk access that way
Old 07-17-24, 10:21 AM
HOberst
10th Gear

Let me see if I can figure that out. I haven't had the time to pull back the trunk lining on my car to look yet

In the meantime, I would suggest to try the graphite lock lubricant in the lock cylinder, and to wiggle + rotate your key around to see if you're able to get it to go in further or to unlock

EDIT: As far as I can see, the linkage follows approximately this path

However, if your latch is really stuck, pulling the linkage might not do the job.. The other option would be to remove the 2 bolts holding the latch onto the trunk lid and remove the linkage from the lock cylinder, but you would need enough access.. Probably by removing the inner right tail light... Which is also not easy to do at all from the outside

But consider that the tail light is easier and cheaper to replace than the trunk lid, especially in your color (which is rare). Just make sure one can be purchased before pursuing this option.. And DON'T CUT INTO THE LIGHT WITH THE BATTERY CONNECTED because there is a circuit board and wiring which could short and start a fire...

Routing:
Regarding the graphite in the lock.. it is an easy enough thing to try, I had assumed the 3 shops I took it to would’ve tried that first but that’s just an assumption. I guess why I haven’t tried it is because even if my key was the issue, the trunk should still release with the electronic release handle inside the car. The fact that is doesn’t, tell me it HAS to be the latch broken or jammed inside
Old 07-17-24, 12:28 PM
CELSI0R
Racer

Originally Posted by HOberst
Regarding the graphite in the lock.. it is an easy enough thing to try, I had assumed the 3 shops I took it to would’ve tried that first but that’s just an assumption. I guess why I haven’t tried it is because even if my key was the issue, the trunk should still release with the electronic release handle inside the car. The fact that is doesn’t, tell me it HAS to be the latch broken or jammed inside
Yeah, I completely agree with you. I figure it's worth a shot as a last resort before starting an invasive procedure. But I think logically, we've ruled out every scenario other than a problematic latch
Old 07-17-24, 05:46 PM
paulo57509
Instructor

Received 214 Likes on 187 Posts

This is a nuts situation. Too bad there's no way to remove the stop/tail lenses to gain access.