LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Yet another costly repair. Bye bye Lexus?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-04, 09:24 PM
LeXuSrAcIn
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow 30k miles w/o an oil change???? Was that the first car that guy owned??? As for used cars... I really like them.. only if you can find a good one. Buying a new car in my opinion is a waste. You lose so much as soon as you walk out the door. Its great if you plan on keepin the car a long time, but we trade our cars every 2/3 yrs or so. As for whether to sell the car or not.. Im just praying that theres no more expenses over $1000 the rest of this year. I will be getting another car start of next year. Hopefully LS430s will be cheaper by then and I can maybe get a 01. Like I said earlier, I bought this car so I would have a car that I would be able to have a long time from now. I want this car to be around when I have kids(i know i know Im too young to be thinking bout that). When I got the BMW I only expected to keep it say a yr or so. I will be selling the BMW and HOPEFULLY get a LS430 if they are cheaper by next yr. OOOOOOOOO what i REALLY want is a jag XJR. Has anyone driven those???? They're M5s nearest competitor. Buttttttttttt jag doesnt have good reliabilty. Hopefully the next Lexus I own will be reliable. You can bet its gonna be a CPO Ive learned my lesson there. Maybe a GS400?? So many cars out there.. so lil money to go around Anyways Im going to keep the current line up of cars till 2005. Then we shall see if I stick with the Lexus or not. (depending on repair). I really want to give Lexus another chance because of dj ctwatt. $200 repairs a yr!!!!!!! WOW!!!!!!! I sure wish i paid that much. Ah oh well. Ive been royally screwed with this car. But now almost everything is new so nothing can go wrong right? Lets hope so. Because of all you CL members... Im back into considering buying another Lexus. After all, one bad Lexus in 100,000 or so isnt bad right? But why did I have to have the bad one I have to admit one thing... people on the BMW forums arent anywhere as loyal as here!!! Lol while typing this Im actually looking at GS400s for sale. Thanks guys for getting my faith back in Lexus!!!
Old 04-22-04, 10:55 PM
LexLS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ok, I don't have time to get envolved but I want to offer you a little advice....

The reason why I started my LS website was to help save LS owners money. All I want to say is that you can do a LOT of these costly repairs yourself with basic tools. You should take a look at my site and bookmark it, it will save you money. Seriously, I have had some costly repairs myself (before I started working on my car), but now that I do the work myself it's not bad at all. I only pay for parts which I buy online at a discount .

Maybe I missed this, but why do you need two cars anyway? IMO you should sell one and then you won't have such a financial burdon...insurance, repairs, etc. Just my 2 cents .
Old 04-22-04, 11:35 PM
dj.ctwatt
Lead Lap

Originally posted by LeXuSrAcIn
OOOOOOOOO what i REALLY want is a jag XJR. Has anyone driven those???? They're M5s nearest competitor.
Hehehe, I know what you mean. Do you think you'll be able to afford a used E55AMG? That's my pick in that particular class of cars for all around value. I doubt any of them will be for sale any time soon, at least used. I can't see anyone being unhappy with that car. If you are going the multi-car route, you could also build yourself a racer, and have a cruiser, one of each, you know all the flavors. . .
Old 04-23-04, 09:51 AM
Lexkost
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

LeXuSrAcIn, I understand, Here is a pic of my first car as you can see I am having trouble starting it........this car Nickled & Dimed me almost to the poor house...........it caused me to get a second job and that was very hard to do at 8 months old.......
Attached Thumbnails Yet another costly repair. Bye bye Lexus?-my-pictures.jpg  
Old 04-23-04, 10:16 AM
persian451
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

that is hilarious.... hey mike is that you in the picture? lol
Old 04-23-04, 10:30 AM
Lexkost
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by persian451
that is hilarious.... hey mike is that you in the picture? lol
Yes It is ..............you know what they say Cute at the Cradle Ugly at the Table !!!!

By the way it's a Buick and I got another Buick after that one.

Last edited by Lexkost; 04-23-04 at 10:32 AM.
Old 04-23-04, 10:35 AM
SharpLS-96
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What happened to your three telephone books?

Also, do you still have that baby shoe hanging from the rear view mirror? How many times do I have to tell
you that used shoes never make a good air freshener.

What year is that, a 54 Buick?
Nice photo!

Last edited by SharpLS-96; 04-23-04 at 10:36 AM.
Old 04-23-04, 10:44 AM
Lexkost
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by SharpLS-96
What happened to your three telephone books?

Also, do you still have that baby shoe hanging from the rear view mirror? How many times do I have to tell
you that used shoes never make a good air freshener.

What year is that, a 54 Buick?
Nice photo!
YES, I have the shoes but on my mirror ..............I had them Bronzed !!!!!!!
Attached Thumbnails Yet another costly repair. Bye bye Lexus?-my-pictures.jpg  
Old 04-23-04, 10:56 AM
SharpLS-96
Lexus Champion

Thumbs up

Wow, extremely impressive!!!!!
Unfortunately I don't have a single pair of my own.

Job well done! I give you and the shoes two thumbs up.....

Last edited by SharpLS-96; 04-23-04 at 10:57 AM.
Old 04-23-04, 11:01 AM
Lexkost
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by SharpLS-96
Wow, extremely impressive!!!!!
Unfortunately I don't have a single pair of my own.

<A TITLE="Click for more information about job" STYLE="text-decoration: none; border-bottom: medium solid green;" HREF="http://search.targetwords.com/u.search?x=5977|1||||job|AA1VDw">Job</A> well done! I give you and the shoes two thumbs up.....
NOW remember never underestimate "The Lexkost "

...and yes I did them for my parents years ago...
Old 04-23-04, 12:49 PM
LeXuSrAcIn
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by dj.ctwatt
Hehehe, I know what you mean. Do you think you'll be able to afford a used E55AMG? That's my pick in that particular class of cars for all around value. I doubt any of them will be for sale any time soon, at least used. I can't see anyone being unhappy with that car. If you are going the multi-car route, you could also build yourself a racer, and have a cruiser, one of each, you know all the flavors. . .
I LOVEEEEEEE the new E55 AMGs, but unfortuanately they are WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY out of my price range. Those cars are amazing. I drove a E500 and I was amazed by that. I cant even imagine what an E55 feels like!! The reason I am considering a XJR is because the price drops like crazy. I can get one for a steal. Those cars brand new retail for $75k+... thanks to depreciation I could get a really good one in the low 20's to high teens. THATS A STEAL!!! 0-60 in 5 flat!! I wish Lexus had some performance options Its such a shame.

Earl...
The reason I have two cars is simple... I like variety. The Lexus i use more for an adrenaline rush, while the BMW is just for cruising. I dont race in the BMW because of the limiter set to 128 which I havent had the time to take out yet. And another reason for 2 cars... the ladies love it!! That is why I got them... but now I have been with the same girl for over a yr so i cant go out pimpin in the cars And what sucks is that she HATESSSSSSSS cars. Its so horrible. Whenever I start talkin about cars.. she starts talkin about clothes Do any of you other car nuts have this problem with your gf/wife??? How do you guys deal with it??? I try to teach her about cars but she gets mad and walks away SHE'S EVEN HUNG UP ON ME WHEN I WAS TALKING ABOUT CARS This happened multiple times. She keeps promising that she'll learn about cars, yet she never makes the effort. Being a car nut its very hard to talk to anyone about things other than cars. And my gf is no exception. I want to trick her or something into learning about cars. But how??? Any ideas guys?? What have you guys done with your gf/wife that doesnt know about cars and isnt willing to learn??
Old 04-23-04, 03:05 PM
SharpLS-96
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by LeXuSrAcIn
What have you guys done with your gf/wife that doesnt know about cars and isnt willing to learn??
Dump her.

Last edited by SharpLS-96; 04-23-04 at 07:48 PM.
Old 04-24-04, 09:41 PM
USLEX
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Last post on this because frankly this clown wasted 5 minutes more of my life reading the thread.

Can someone ban this child please?

Thank you,
Old 04-25-04, 02:25 PM
Sal Collaziano
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by Kansas
My CPA wife was leary when I bought the first LS in 1990 but quickly found that she loved riding in it and, more important to her, that it was an exceptionally low cost vehicle to own. So she let me buy another LS.
Holy crap! I'm getting married next year! I hope my wife lets me buy an LS one day! heh
Old 04-25-04, 02:32 PM
Sal Collaziano
Lexus Test Driver

The STS does have the Northstar engine.. It's not boaty at all and actually has a pretty stiff suspension. Same goes for the ETC. 1996 got an updated interior compared to earlier years... Oh and believe it or not, the torque-steer isn't that bad. Cadillac perfected front wheel drive...

Originally posted by dj.ctwatt
That's a tough to decision to be perfectly honest. The Lexus is a 93 and the Caddy is a 96. I find that GM shop rates are very reasonable, especially for parts. I think there are only four cars in all of GM, but they cut and paste different bumpers and body mouldings to trick you, but I'm exaggerating. Did you know the Hummer H2 is a frankenstine made up of 3+ different SUV's?? But that's has nothing to do with your question. I really like being drivin IN American luxury cars. I don't like ACTUALLY driving them. I've had more experience with the DTS, and that thing was super boaty. . . and my LS 400 is already pushing my boat-iness limit. FWD? Man I hate it. If you don't mind it then it's not too big of a deal. I'm not sure, but does the STS have the Northstar engine? Damn, I think the torque rating is near 300 lb-ft on that thing, can you imagine the torque steer? Again, if you aren't driving it hard, torque steer is not going to be a big deal. . . finally the floaty, bouncy ride. This is what throws me away from American Luxury cars, specifically Caddy and Lincoln(but I did drive an CTS and that was a VERY nice car IMO). I never liked the ride in those cars, even as a passenger. It makes me feel "sea-sick" after 20 minutes. But a definite pro to those cars are the very roomy interiors. The Lexus, being a 1993 will probably have a bouncy ride as well, but that's because it's 10 years old! Put in new shocks and maybe springs and it will ride firm, but not too firm. . . the perfect balance for my taste. Unless you modify the suspension in the Caddy(ie stiffer shocks/springs) you'll always get that bouncy feel. Man, sorry I havn't written all this better, it's all kinda scattered. But to sum up, if you don't mind all those things I listed, and don't mind about twice the amount of time in the shop as the Lexus, I would go for the Caddy. But if you do mind those things, Lexus is better by far. There's a period after about 10 years or 150,000 miles where the LS 400 usually encounters some expensive repairs(around $1-2k at the most), but after that it's smooth sailing! I'm not sure I can say that about the Caddy.

Last edited by Sal Collaziano; 04-25-04 at 02:33 PM.

Quick Reply: Yet another costly repair. Bye bye Lexus?