LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Bad AC Compressor Breaks Serpentine Belt!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-04, 02:42 PM
LamSV
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad AC Compressor Breaks Serpentine Belt!!!

Hello ALL,

I just drove home (Houston, TX) from my family summer vacation in Orlando, FL. The total journey was 2,000 miles (1,000 each way). On the up journey, around Mobile AL, my AC failed and blew the Bussman 15A fuse on the driver-side kick panel. I continued my journey to Orlando FL without AC and a blank-out LCD screen. So far so good. I thought and family had a blast in Disney World.

Not realizing the coming disaster, on my return journey, my serpentine belt snapped when I restarted the engine after a short stop at the Tallahassee FL gas station. All hell broke loose - no power steering, no battery charging, no water pump, no nothing. Anyway, I was stranded for a day (Sunday) and fortunately, I could find a suitable length belt, with right width (6 ridges and 5 grooves), from Autozone. After replacing the serpentine belt (but bypassing the AC compressor), I was able to continue the balance 700 miles from Tallahassee to Houston.

1994 LS400, 123,xxx miles when AC failed, 124,xxx miles when serpentine belt snapped. (Note - I did replaced my serpentine belt during the 90,000 miles service. So this was a fairly new belt.)

Failed AC compressor - I can tell it's seized up catastrophically because I found metallic shavings under the hood. Also when I tried to manually rotate the compressor, there were times when it jammed!!!

Serpentine belt - 64 inches (in order to bypass AC compressor) - Bring broken belt and walk into any auto shop and ask the counter staff to match this 64 inches length. You don't want to buy the original length belt because you really want to bypass the AC compressor (culprit). Costs $27.

Tools - go to the Lexus supplied tool box. There's a small spanner that you can use to hold down the tensioner by turning anti-clockwise. Actually you don't need a breaker bar (or monster wrench/socket).

I had an assistant to fit the serpentine belt in the numerous pulleys. I bypassed the AC compressor by not looping the belt around it. Finally I had to force down the tensioner pulley so that my assistant could finish the final loop. (Note - Doing it by yourself may be tricky unless you've very strong left and right hands!!!)

Total time taken - 30 minutes

Actually without the belt driving the AC compressor, I could feel more horsepower and improved gas mileage at 25 miles per gallon premium gas. So this was a bonus point for me, although the nasty downside was a really hot drive in the summer heat!!!

Note - I'll definitely carry an extra serpentine belt on my next long trip.

Regards, LamSV

Old 06-08-04, 10:13 PM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I thought the clutch was supposed to stop that from happening...
Old 06-09-04, 10:05 AM
LamSV
Driver School Candidate

Hello nthach,

I think the AC compressor seized in a "catastrophic" manner. There were metallic shavings below the hood. I think the ball bearings on the compressor rotating shaft were all gone. Basically I could hear metal rubbing against metal.

If this can happen to me, I think it can happen to someone else too. So take note.

I don't think the compressor clutch is at fault. But I'll check with my workshop.

Regards, LamSV

Old 06-09-04, 11:18 AM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Denso compressors can die easilly by oil starvation, i would have that system flushed, drier replaced, and 8-9 ozs of a GOOD ester oil like BVA Auto 100 or Texaco Capella HFC 100(no cheap Quest or Interdynamics crap, they have sealers and O-ring conditioners which are bad for the system), and charge it with R-134a, our LS400s take between 1.70-1.90 lbs of R-134.
Old 06-09-04, 05:10 PM
LamSV
Driver School Candidate

Thumbs up

Hello nthach,

Thanks a bunch for tip. I'm going to the workshop on Monday morning. Your tip comes in very handy.

Regards, LamSV

Old 06-12-04, 10:52 PM
JPI Racing
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by nthach
Denso compressors can die easilly by oil starvation, i would have that system flushed, drier replaced, and 8-9 ozs of a GOOD ester oil like BVA Auto 100 or Texaco Capella HFC 100(no cheap Quest or Interdynamics crap, they have sealers and O-ring conditioners which are bad for the system), and charge it with R-134a, our LS400s take between 1.70-1.90 lbs of R-134.
HOw do you know the system is low on oil? I've seen some new a/c compressor lock up.
JPI
Old 10-31-11, 10:53 AM
Northwest
Driver School Candidate

Even tho this post is old, it helped me out alot today...greatly appreciated!

1993 Lexus LS400
64in belt (to bypass the a/c compressor)
Belt type: 6pk1625
Cheapest Brand: Bando
Old 10-31-11, 12:03 PM
acidfire52
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I almost had this happen to me, my A/C was making a horrible racket. Once I got it off, the pulley turned then froze.
Isn't the W/P driven by the timing belt?
Old 10-31-11, 05:11 PM
timmy0tool

Received 426 Likes on 380 Posts

Originally Posted by acidfire52
I almost had this happen to me, my A/C was making a horrible racket. Once I got it off, the pulley turned then froze.
Isn't the W/P driven by the timing belt?
correct the wp is driven by the timing belt. good info here!
Old 10-31-11, 10:34 PM
emarknot
Pole Position

[AQUOTE=JPI Racing;926177]HOw do you know the system is low on oil? I've seen some new a/c compressor lock up.
JPI[/QUOTE]

Ac compressors come in 2 ways...with oil and without. Typically, a compressor filled with oil should have 7 oz of oil in it. This should be double checked regardless of place purchased,name of compressor, name on box of compressor, or any other type of reason/excuse you can think of to test the oil capacity, take tue compressor with the "oil added" sticker, get your ordinary styrofoam cup, flip the compressor so that the oil drains into he cup. Once it stops flowing, turn he pulley by hand a couple of tmes to get the absolute amount out. The oil should fill the cup about 1/3.

Then, take that cup of oil and just set it aside,throw it away, give it to your neighbor....whatever you feel as approriate. Then add 7 oz of oil from a new, unopened container.

And if you replace the compressor and a reciever/dryer/accumulator....yes 3 names for the same thing.....depends on who you ask.......the last ounce of oil goes in there.

And if the new compressor has No sticker or indication of oil added, you need to add 7oz to the compressor.

Most compressors fail due to oil starvation. That being said, if you have a refrigerant leak,you are leaking oil as the 2 get mixed through the cycle. Ac systms have a high side switch and a low side switch to control the compressor from overloading. One is for pressure, the other for refridgerant.
These 2 switches keep everything in proper working order. But there isnt one for a low oil level...

...go figure
Old 03-16-15, 03:31 PM
jessidonk
Driver School Candidate

Hi...I was wondering if your '94 ls 400 was considered '1st generation' or '2nd generation'? In November of '94 Lexus changed from 1st to 2nd generation, altering the transmission, which also changes the belt length. As I am having the same problem you did, I need clarification on this to make sure I buy the right length of belt. Thanks

Originally Posted by LamSV
Hello ALL,

I just drove home (Houston, TX) from my family summer vacation in Orlando, FL. The total journey was 2,000 miles (1,000 each way). On the up journey, around Mobile AL, my AC failed and blew the Bussman 15A fuse on the driver-side kick panel. I continued my journey to Orlando FL without AC and a blank-out LCD screen. So far so good. I thought and family had a blast in Disney World.

Not realizing the coming disaster, on my return journey, my serpentine belt snapped when I restarted the engine after a short stop at the Tallahassee FL gas station. All hell broke loose - no power steering, no battery charging, no water pump, no nothing. Anyway, I was stranded for a day (Sunday) and fortunately, I could find a suitable length belt, with right width (6 ridges and 5 grooves), from Autozone. After replacing the serpentine belt (but bypassing the AC compressor), I was able to continue the balance 700 miles from Tallahassee to Houston.

1994 LS400, 123,xxx miles when AC failed, 124,xxx miles when serpentine belt snapped. (Note - I did replaced my serpentine belt during the 90,000 miles service. So this was a fairly new belt.)

Failed AC compressor - I can tell it's seized up catastrophically because I found metallic shavings under the hood. Also when I tried to manually rotate the compressor, there were times when it jammed!!!

Serpentine belt - 64 inches (in order to bypass AC compressor) - Bring broken belt and walk into any auto shop and ask the counter staff to match this 64 inches length. You don't want to buy the original length belt because you really want to bypass the AC compressor (culprit). Costs $27.

Tools - go to the Lexus supplied tool box. There's a small spanner that you can use to hold down the tensioner by turning anti-clockwise. Actually you don't need a breaker bar (or monster wrench/socket).

I had an assistant to fit the serpentine belt in the numerous pulleys. I bypassed the AC compressor by not looping the belt around it. Finally I had to force down the tensioner pulley so that my assistant could finish the final loop. (Note - Doing it by yourself may be tricky unless you've very strong left and right hands!!!)

Total time taken - 30 minutes

Actually without the belt driving the AC compressor, I could feel more horsepower and improved gas mileage at 25 miles per gallon premium gas. So this was a bonus point for me, although the nasty downside was a really hot drive in the summer heat!!!

Note - I'll definitely carry an extra serpentine belt on my next long trip.

Regards, LamSV

Old 03-16-15, 05:33 PM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 337 Likes on 290 Posts

89-94 is first generation and 95-00 is second generation.
Old 07-13-15, 09:47 AM
LentZebra
Driver School Candidate

Default Another AC bites the dust

Originally Posted by jessidonk
Hi...I was wondering if your '94 ls 400 was considered '1st generation' or '2nd generation'? In November of '94 Lexus changed from 1st to 2nd generation, altering the transmission, which also changes the belt length. As I am having the same problem you did, I need clarification on this to make sure I buy the right length of belt. Thanks
This thread sort of helped me but like you i wasnt sure it applied to the 2nd gen, my -98 VVTi to be more precise.

So i went ahead and measured and got 162 cm (64 inches= 162,56 cm) without including the AC in the loop.

The only belt my dealer had on the shelf that sort of matched was 161,3 cm which i figured was close enough.
I put it on and sure enough its quiet now without the AC, to bad this was on my daily and not my project car which is subject to AC delete anyway.. :/

My only concern is that the fan doesnt have enough belt on it but it works for now.

Attatching before and after, the after even has the length written on it in mm for all you non believers(like me). :P
Attached Thumbnails Bad AC Compressor Breaks Serpentine Belt!!!-with-ac.jpg   Bad AC Compressor Breaks Serpentine Belt!!!-without-ac.jpg