LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Transmission Stutters 95 LS400

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-04, 07:23 AM
NC211
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This came from the nhsta web site.

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/pr...in/results.cfm

Titled:
POWER TRAIN:AXLE ASSEMBLY:AXLE SHAFT

Complaints Summary

Make: LEXUS
Model: LS400
Year: 1995
Complaint Number: 503636
Summary:
JERK WHEN SLOWING DOWN , INSTALL THROTTLE SHOCK FIX, INSTALL NEW SPARK PLUGS, CRUISE CONTROL ECU AND ENGINE ECU.

There appear to me numerous complaints about the starter assembly on there. I think this was fixed under a recall though. I did notice on mine a starter service was performed back in the late 90's.

Heard last night from the service dept. that it isn't covered under their warranty but they don't want to say no just yet. Gave me some lingo about me being a lexus customer and so forth. Basically trying to see if Lexus will pay up for it, as JC indicated. We'll see what happens. I work for a lending institution that provides lending funds to the dealer's customers, so I image that is playing into the equation as well. Oh the fun game of politics. Politics = "Poly = numerous" "Ticks = blood sucking creatures" Polyticks.
I'll let ya'll know what happens.
Old 06-23-04, 08:33 PM
JC1688
Driver School Candidate

NC211. Found the TSB printout from '98 from Alldata. The TSB number (EG00396) and the issue date (Oct 96) is the same but TSB title ("Driveability Improvement for Speeds Above 40MPH") is named slightly different from what they called it now.

http://www.alldata.com/TSB/31/95310202.html

Hope this helps.
Old 06-24-04, 12:31 PM
NC211
Rookie

JC, thanks amigo! Yeah I would have to say
"Engine Controls - Poor Driveability"
as a TSB title implies a more serious issue than what a "courtesy" would allow.
I'm still waiting to hear back from the shop on the issue. I did however make the dealer reply to an email
stating that if they do not respond before my 3/3000 warranty, the warranty will STILL apply. Got that in writting, so they can take their time as far as I'm concerned. The facts just keep leaning more and more in my favor. But, they are car dealers, it doesn't matter if it's Lexus or Chevy, the basic principles apply to all.
I'll let you know what happens.

Thanks JC, you saved me a lot of hassle and b/s with trying to figure out what it was. I would have been pretty bummed if they had replaced the trany mount and torque converter without fixing the real issue.
Ever find your way down south, Carolina bb-q and cold beer are on the house.
Old 06-24-04, 02:11 PM
JC1688
Driver School Candidate

NC211, glad to be of help. I've been following ClubLexus for a very long time and this was the first time I ever posted on it. I didn't want anyone to go through the problems knowing what I knew.
Southern bb-q and beer... what a combination!! Thanks for the offer!
Old 06-24-04, 02:31 PM
NC211
Rookie

I must steal a promotional line from Pioneer car stereos when it comes to Carolina BB-Q and Beer....
"A million red necks can't be wrong"

It's some gooooood stuff. Kansas City "ribs" and Carolina "pork" BBQ have the potential to start another civil war.

The dealership has still not responded to me, nor are they calling me back. Hahahha, gee, must mean they're dodging me? I wonder why? Pay up suckers, dropping the ball isn't cheap. I bet they never sell me another used car again for as cheap as they did. I got mine for $14k. It has a perfect service history from the dealership, even the tires were balanced and rotated there over the years. It's got 82k miles on it and not a single flaw. Some ole' CEO had it in his business name and ran it down the depreciation schedule. His accountant told him to get a new one for tax reasons, so he traded that one in. He drove it from home to work, that's it for 9 years. Plus the 90k mile service was included with the timing belt and water pump "$1,900 service." Now it's going to cost them whatever $$$ to replace the ecu units. As that dude from the A-Team used to say "I love it when a plan comes together."

This site is a MUST for anyone who owns a Lexus, simply a MUST.
Old 06-29-04, 10:56 AM
NC211
Rookie

Update:
Well, it's probably a "breach of warranty campaign" lawsuit now. The dealership has side-stepped me for the past week with some very funny excuses. One of which is my favorite "since it didn't bother the previous owner, it must be a personal preferrence thing and we're not obligated. But feel free to purchase the upgrade on your own if you like." I've contacted Lexus directly, and sent my final shot across the bow straight to the dealership manager. Contacted a lawyer buddy in Tampa on the issue and he said to file a breach of warranty suit in small claims court, as I am clearly in the right. So, we'll see. If it goes that far, I will tell you all which Lexus dealership in NC to never purchase a vehicle from.

Does anyone know if the ECU unit will stop a vibration from 30-50 mph? It seems the harder the transmission spins, the more prominent the vibration. I think it's the tranny mount, since it is nearly 10 years old. Any suggestions? Or will the ECU have that much of an effect on the car? Will it also smooth out the shifting characteristics of the car? I notice it doesn't quite shift like I would expect a LS400 to shift. It's smooth, but not very smooth.

Thanks ya'll
Old 06-29-04, 12:59 PM
JC1688
Driver School Candidate

I don't think the ECU will stop the vibration. The upgraded ECU's only alters the engine speed (rpms)by "holding it slightly" when you let go of the gas. (That's why you don't feel the jerking with the upgraded ECUs). You mentioned that you feel the vibration through the steering wheel. Are you sure it's not the tires? The LS are very sensitive to out of round or unbalanced tires and even with new ones, it sometimes takes a couple of miles to smooth them out. There are several ways to try to find out if it is the tires or the transmission. First, raise all 4 tires psi to 44. Get on the highway. Does the vibration problem get worse or stay the same? Repeat with 20 psi. If you feel a noticable difference, I bet it's the tires. Also what is the brand of the tires and how old are they? (Look for a number that starts with DOT and ends with 3 numbers on the sidewall. The last number is the year and the next two is the week the tires were produced. Ex. DOT....239. 23rd week of '99.) Second, leave the transmission in 3rd (not overdrive) and test between 30-50mph. Third, accelerate to the speed and quickly slap it into neutral and coast. If it is the tires, no matter what you do to the transmission, you'll still encounter the vibration. This, of course has to be done on very smooth roads. Drivin normally, I can't detect the shifting of the transmission so maybe there is a hitch in your transmission or torque converter somewhere.

On the issue of the TSB, don't give up. I remember it took them at least a week before the work was approved.
Old 06-29-04, 01:17 PM
NC211
Rookie

Thanks JC! In all honesty I think the tranny mount might need to be replaced. I pop it into N when I notice it and it seems to go away. It's nothing to major, but something that could be at a future date. I hear the mounts are nothing major. I'll probably just order a whole new set for tranny and motor and have the guy around the corner put them in. He does things for us for free. I plan on having this car for a long time so I figure it can't hurt.

I'm one the dealership like white on rice. Those guys will eventually do the right thing, if nothing else but to get me to shut up about it. Hahahaha. I figure nagging works for my wife to get me to do stuff, so I figure what the hell, I'll give it a shot myself. If anything, I'll hand the case over to her. God help those poor bastards if she get's on their case. Irish, Southern and stubborn makes for a wicked mix! That's why I love her so!
Old 06-30-04, 02:55 PM
NC211
Rookie

JC, am I ever glad you responded to this thread!!

Well I signed up for Alldata today to get a better feel of what I am looking at. They have TSB's from 1987 to 2001 for the LS400. They've got everything. One question, is Alldata the same as what they see at the dealership? If it is, they're goose just got cooked. Out of 3 pages of TSB's there is only one recall, for a start assembly in 97. We all knew that. But, out of all those TSB's, there is only ONE that LEXUS the MANUFACTURER RECOMMENDS DOING! And can you guess which one that is? Yep, EG00396 labled "poor driveability improvement". Now who is going to tell me that out of probably 100+ TSB's, ranging from cigerette lighter assemblies, to the remote lock buttons that the only one Lexus says should be fixed is a "courtesy"?
This just keeps getting better and better. They want the car back so the master tech and take a look at it. I've got $20 on the table that say the master tech says it's perfect as is. I've also got $50 that says a judge in small claims court says it AINT'! I got these hill-jacks cornered.

JC, you rock! Get the word out on this website that the ECU replacements are the only thing Lexus highly recommends replacing! You should get Club Lexus member of the year.

Thanks AMIGO!

I can't wait to speak to the general manager face to face tomorrow.
Old 06-30-04, 09:26 PM
JC1688
Driver School Candidate

You've got them Nc211! Alldata gets their information from the manufacturers so there is no way they can say " Oh, that information is incorrect or out of date". Lexus might not be using Alldata but what they see (TSB info and details) is the same. I'm glad you signed up for Alldata because the printout you show them is going to make the difference. Of course the dealer is going to say "Oh why yes, the manufacturer recommends this fix but my master mechanic has to approve it ". I don't think the service advisor can influence the master tech as he is the "expert" of the dealer. If the service advisor says that the master tech said it's perfect as is, insist on setting up an appointment with the master tech to duplicate the problem for him. I'll bet it won't come to that. I'll love to see the look on the Gm's face when you show him the Alldata printout!

Good luck!
Old 07-01-04, 06:28 AM
martin01
Driver School Candidate

Default I have the same problem with my ECU

Se my thread about vibrations and a jerking car!

My dealer replace my ECU for free, thru the warranty I got when I bougt the car!
I have a -96 LS 400 and it seems that some cars of that yearmodel has the same problems as for the
-95:s. In Sweden Lexus-dealers has replaced the ECU at three sold cars. It´s not many cars but I think some people not notice the jerks or they dont understand the problem when the car jerks.
I´m happy anyway. It is very expensive to replace the ECU! In sweden it costs about $2000!!!!!

I hope my LS 400 will go smoothly when the ECU is replaced!

Good luck with your replacement of your ECU!

Regards
Martin
Old 07-01-04, 12:06 PM
NC211
Rookie

Man, this site is great!!!

Well, the vehicle is not only in the shop now for the EG00396 tsb "ecu unit" but everything else is being fixed for free too! The dealer backed down, realized I had them in the corner not only for the ecu units, but for trying to defraud me with their lame excuses and attempting to practice "shady" lexus service. I have learned that reporting them to Lexus of America really makes a difference. It is explained to me that a dealership is rated on it's satisfaction by the manufacturer, which in turn impacts the amount of vehicles issued to the dealership to sell. Higher rating = first in line for delivery of new models. I have in writing everything that will be done for free, and, get this, if they can't fix it, they will refund my money back. Although I don't want that, I want that car, especially since the 90k service was done for free already, including timing belt / water pump and it's only got 82,800 gentle miles on it. It's perfect in everyway except for this. I seriously think the ecu unit will fix the problems all the way across the board. Now all I need to do is once the car is returned, have it inspected by a third party to verify all parts are correct, and not replaced with refurbished models of the same kind. If they did that, then I'll be driving a brand new LS430 Ultra Luxury for free or one hell of a settlement in litigation. They said they would comply to the TSB, and I have a copy of it, including all old part numbers and new part numbers to be replaced with.

Happy 4th of July everyone! It's redneck Christmas time, and I'm outta here! My collar might be white, but my instincts are red, white & blue when it comes to the 4th of July. I've got a broken tv that is going to meet it's fate with an M-80! And the wife can't stop me! It was a condition of the marriage, I get the 4th of July to act like an idiot.

Thanks JC, if you've got any questions about TSB's on the LS model, let me know, I've got access to them all for the next 12 months.
Old 07-01-04, 08:48 PM
JC1688
Driver School Candidate

You're welcome NC211. Your persistence has paid off as most people would have given up long ago.
It's good to hear car owners win one over the car dealers.

Anyways, let us know how the car drives when you get it back.

Have a safe and happy 4th of July!
Old 07-02-04, 06:45 AM
1994 LS400
Driver

Hey NC211 ~
I have been reading your post on your 1995...I am happy that you got the mothership to comply! I guess my question is do any of these issues occur in model year 1994? I am curious to see what issues plague my LS400; I also got my LS400 with 82,000 in May of 2000. We had all the Power Steering problems early on but now I am just doing all routine replacements/service. Are all the recalls etc... posted at ALLDATA....how much did you pay? Is this what Lexus uses?.....
Happy 4th...... Awesome Posts guys !!

Paul
Old 07-02-04, 08:03 AM
NC211
Rookie

Hey Paul,
I would highly recommend joining Alldata for your car. It cost me $25 for a full year on the car. It is for only that one car however, if you have additional vehicles I'm not sure how much that would be. Alldata does show all recalls, issues and the recommended services Lexus says to do. On my 95 there were 88 TSB's issued from 1987 - 2002. I would figure that would be the same list for yours, but then again it may be specific to the 1995 model. They made some changes from 94-95 and I'm not sure how that would impact the TSB list. JC was correct with the data being reported to Alldata straight from Lexus. After I sent an email straight to the general manager stating I have learned that the TSB in question appears to be the only recommended service on the list, he agreed. So I would assume what he sees from Lexus, and what I have from Alldata line up perfectly. I did not see too many big-ticket issues "relatively speaking of course, it is Lexus afterall." Some axle grease patterns, stereo static, heated seat coil replacement parts and so forth. If you plan on keeping the car, I would highly recommend joining Alldata and getting the list. They even break down each TSB with what Vin#'s are effected, what part numbers are needed, estimated hours of labor required and all that good stuff. I am printing off every single one myself and putting it on my shelf at home for future date. Nothing like going into a dealership with their information in your hands already. Keeps everyone honest. I found a website to order parts from and estimated the parts alone for my issue came out to $2,700 +/- without labor. Labor estimates were around 1.8 hours. They wanted to charge me something like $3,800 dollars. If that's what Lexus mechanics get paid, then I'm in the wrong line of work. The parts website is:

http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...&siteid=213956

or simply www.trademotion.com and go from there.

I would recommend the Alldata for sure! JC and Alldata saved my tail big time!

Got to wrap up work and catch a flight.
Ya'll have a good one!

Quick Reply: Transmission Stutters 95 LS400