LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Question for non biased lexus owners please

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-04, 11:27 PM
lexsee
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question for non biased lexus owners please

Hey everyone.
i have been really considering 2 different cars...narrowed it down.
1.a 96-98 lexus ls400 with 85,000 to 110,000 miles
or...
2.98-99 cadillac seville sts with 52,000-62,000 miles.
both seem around the same price of 13-15k.

my gut tells me the lexus is more reliable as its a toyota brand and all the reading i have done.
and i like that i have herd its really quiet and smooth.
on the other hand...i really like the look of the sts and herd its a better performer all around and has more "gizmos" on it.

have any of you had experiance with this cadillac and how do the 2 cars really mesure up????

thanks for the info you can give. Mark.
Old 07-18-04, 12:55 AM
Lexs400
Lexus Test Driver

the lexus holds it's value as a toyota/japanese car.
the reliability is best in the industry.
customer service is way on top amonst the top 10.

as a non-biased owner, i still have a biased answer for u.
lexus is the way to go.
Old 07-18-04, 02:35 AM
j three
Lexus Test Driver

Default Test drive

Take a test drive. That is all you need to see and feel the difference. The sts is a good car, the Ls is an exceptional car. Drive the sts first, if you dont it wont be fair for the caddy. If you drive the lex first you wont want to touch or look at a cadiwack ever again. This is not bias just the truth as I see it.
Old 07-18-04, 02:55 AM
j three
Lexus Test Driver

One more thing check out the fit and finish. This is a big one,look at the wood. Caddy wood is like a cheap coffee table. Lexus uses real wood. Feel the dash, caddy's dash is hard plastic w/ no texture. Lexus' dash is supple w/ lots of texture. Leather in both cars are good, giving the edge to lexus. Just giving my 2 cents to asist your decision.
Old 07-18-04, 10:02 AM
SRK
Driver

In addition to the Lexus, I also own a 94 Camaro Z28. The Camaro is a great car, well designed, great ergonomics, fits a big person like me really well, is very fast, gets excellent fuel mileage, very stable at speed, rides wonderfully for a performance car, and scares the pants off owners of other "performance" cars. It does have some problems : the assembly quality is poor, the materials quality is poor, and the reliability is poor. It is the nature of the beast. What the engineers and designers hoped for the car, didn't translate as the bean counters built it. I will sell the Camaro one day, and replace it with another LS or maybe a GS400 (I haven't driven one of them yet).
So my vote is for the Lexus. The Cadillac may seem very impressive, but the repair costs on it will make the Camaro seem cheap. Most major GM and Cadillac dealerships have at least one tech whose job it is to sort out electrical maladies, and these cars have lots of them.
Buy the Lexus, don't look back.
Old 07-18-04, 12:23 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 470 Likes on 362 Posts

A neighbor just picked up a '98 SLS and I had a look at it. Granted, it is a nice car as far as American iron goes. Both go almost featrue for feature comparing a '98 LS400.

My impressions being 5'7" and 160#'s. Seats are like couches, little-no support for me. The leather appointments and seats seem to have a variety of grades and while some are soft, others seems stiff and economy minded. Egronomics...okay reaching for radio and climate controls, not quite right same with the gas and brake pedals. Visibility out, acceptable. Fit finish...the interior while more appointed than my '97 while appearing nice doesn't give me that "luxury feel". It doesn't seem that special. Engine is nice though FWD. Propriety battery that costs $150 from the dealer and is located under the back seat. The reliability... The paint is okay on his sample, I think the Lexus looks nicer.

The value of the car drops like a stone with a jet engine attached. At 130K miles, he bought it for $6,500 and tax. The other one he was considering with 90K miles was $7,800.

Last edited by RA40; 07-18-04 at 12:28 PM.
Old 07-18-04, 12:56 PM
Lexs400
Lexus Test Driver

one thing i've noticed, however, is that you mention a very high mileage LS versus a 60k mileage caddy. that's a factor as well. i suggest that you opt for a lexus with 90K or less miles and buy an extended warranty for about 1500 or so. that will ensure that the next 36K miles you'll be in safe hands and whatever immediate problems occur on the car will not have to be expensed out of your pocket. once the car reaches around 125K most of the common problems would've been addresed by the extended warranty compay and you'll be able to enjoy the car for the next 100k miles. I also suggest that you go for the 98LS rather than the 96-97LS given the newer shape and upgrades.
good luck.
Old 07-18-04, 04:15 PM
Phil
Driver

Default Re: Question for non biased lexus owners please

Originally posted by lexsee
Hey everyone.
i have been really considering 2 different cars...narrowed it down.
1.a 96-98 lexus ls400 with 85,000 to 110,000 miles
or...
2.98-99 cadillac seville sts with 52,000-62,000 miles.
both seem around the same price of 13-15k.

my gut tells me the lexus is more reliable as its a toyota brand and all the reading i have done.
and i like that i have herd its really quiet and smooth.
on the other hand...i really like the look of the sts and herd its a better performer all around and has more "gizmos" on it.

have any of you had experiance with this cadillac and how do the 2 cars really mesure up????

thanks for the info you can give. Mark.

Mark - I am happy that you are comparing and evaluating you cars because, after all, it is your money and investment. I purchased a '90 LS400 when they came in (ex-Chevy - Ford owner). In '98, purchased a Cad STS Seville. I compared it to my past Lexus and thought I was happy until I came to the conclusion it was nothing more than a souped up and fancy Chevrolet. Seriously. Also, had problems with with it, from windows not working, to ill fitting fixtures. I wasn't happy until I "Gave it away" and bought a '03 LS430 and am happier than a pig in the mire. Go Lexus, and I, as another person did, suggest you purchase the extended warrenty to protect yourself - after all it is just a machine and "things" can happen. Buy the Lex, extended warrenty and you will be one happy puppy - plus be in love again...... : ). Let us know what you decide and the reasons. Thanks and Good Luck.

Phil

Last edited by Phil; 07-18-04 at 04:17 PM.
Old 07-18-04, 04:15 PM
migjam
Driver School Candidate

If the Lexus was well maintained there is no doubt that it will be more dependable and the better investment. If the info. I found on the internet is reliable, it will cost less in fuel, insurance, and depreciation. I also remember reading about the STS having some major issues with the electrical systems (as did other models of Cadillacs). I have had several friends and family members who spent huge sums of money replacing the entire wiring system or major electronic components shorty after their warranties were expired.

Good luck
Old 07-18-04, 07:25 PM
lexsee
Rookie

thanks for all the good info everyone.
how much is a fair amount for a 98 ls400 with under 100k ?

i hear how everyone says they are the quitest cars,how quiet should it be?
so i know when i go look at them...sounds can tell you alot about the car!

should i be able to hear it idle?
what about the starter on start up?
and how about cruising and full throttle?

thanks everyone for the info....im trying to compile as much as possible so i can be a well informed buyer.
is a dealer or private party better to buy from?

thanks for answering my numorus questions.
Old 07-19-04, 12:33 AM
j three
Lexus Test Driver

idle - silent
startup - starter whine then silence
cruise - silence
full throttle - purr baby purr
Old 07-19-04, 10:03 PM
lexsee
Rookie

nice, so your saying alot more quiet then my gt mustang. lol
Old 07-19-04, 10:42 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 470 Likes on 362 Posts

I had heard all these things about the LS being "tomb like"...this seems to be some creative jargon by writers to exaggerate it. It is a quiet car no doubt however it is not like an isolated sound proof chamber. I hear the highway noise, the stereo from the car next to me, I hear my tires as they roll over rough pavement and I can faintly hear the engine of the LS rumble while sitting at a stop light...my rough guess is that the sound deadening on the UCF20, attenuates about 15db or so.

Passenegrs riding in our car for the first time remark that it is very quiet. To me, the S Benze and 7 series BMW are quieter. The '04 ML optioned LS430 we test drove was perhaps 1-2 db quieter than our '97.

Putting it another way, over an 800+ mile one-day drive, my ears are not fatigued by road noise. Most anyother car I have been in on a highway longer than 2 hours, my ears will ring.
Old 07-20-04, 06:14 AM
Vik
Driver

Originally posted by RA40
I had heard all these things about the LS being "tomb like"...this seems to be some creative jargon by writers to exaggerate it. It is a quiet car no doubt however it is not like an isolated sound proof chamber. I hear the highway noise, the stereo from the car next to me, I hear my tires as they roll over rough pavement and I can faintly hear the engine of the LS rumble while sitting at a stop light...my rough guess is that the sound deadening on the UCF20, attenuates about 15db or so.
100% correct.

Tire noise actually is quite annoying much higher IMHO than in my wife's mazda.
I can't hear my engine at stop BTW but I can feel it through pedals and it leaves me with impression that I actually hear it
Old 07-20-04, 09:52 AM
Faraaz23
Lexus Test Driver

Just curious guys, can the tire noise be attributed to the brand tires you have on your car? I know those make a pretty big difference. The really soft rubber (which also wears quicker) tends to have the quieter rides I believe... but then again, I don't really know what noises are common to the LS or not cuz i don't own one.

Quick Reply: Question for non biased lexus owners please