LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Addco rear ant-roll bar

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-06, 12:36 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 470 Likes on 362 Posts

With the car set-up on adjustable coil-overs for ride height and rebound adjustments, that is about all you'll need. Bushings will help too and these are readily available.

You can try giving Todd a call. His experience with Daizen and tuning the GS's handling may provide insight.
Old 12-12-06, 03:46 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

all that has been confirmed is that they make a separate bar for the UCF20 fromt he UCF 10/11 but nobody here has it.

its been put on hold for me til i get the rest of the susp together
Old 12-13-06, 06:11 PM
steveski
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have the Addco coming from performance center - it ships on the 15th. It is a kit and comes with all bushings, hardware, etc. I don't have coilovers so I will let everybody know how this works in conjunction with the Toms STB and my suspension setup. They say it is a direct fit - we'll see.
Old 12-13-06, 06:44 PM
pito
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To be honest from the way that the LS feels stock I think you would more benefit from a drop, with a front strut bar and bushing replacement on the front suspension components.
Old 12-14-06, 08:40 PM
Thermactor
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pito
To be honest from the way that the LS feels stock I think you would more benefit from a drop, with a front strut bar and bushing replacement on the front suspension components.
Well, some of us aren't "ruff ryders" or "VIP" maniacs and want to maintain the docile Lexus characteristics, while just reducing body roll. A rear sway bar made ALL of the difference in the world to my otherwise-stock suspension Cressida.
Old 12-14-06, 08:54 PM
pito
Lead Lap

What I mean to say is that compared to other cars the *** of the LS feels pretty well planted on the roads. I am under the impression that a rear sway bar is more to fight against oversteering.
Old 12-22-06, 08:03 AM
steveski
Lexus Champion

Addco says the bar will improve the overall handling which is what I want out of the car. The ship date is 12/28 so when I install it I will post the difference.
Old 01-05-07, 12:09 PM
steveski
Lexus Champion

Shipment delayed 3 times since November 20th. Now on track for January 9th shipment. I will advise when I receive it and install it - GEEZ
Old 01-08-07, 04:32 AM
Joshwa
Rookie

Originally Posted by RA40
After discussion with Todd...our conclusion at the time was that this bar was too stiff to give balanced handling. In development trials with Daizen sway bars for the GS, he suspected that this would cause the car to oversteer quite easily.
This is what we are trying to accomplish with my LS400 build up, please advise if the stiffer bars are still available, and wether they can be made to fit ucf10/ucf11. If not, can a custom order be made.

Many thanks!
Old 01-08-07, 11:20 AM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 470 Likes on 362 Posts

Originally Posted by Joshwa
This is what we are trying to accomplish with my LS400 build up, please advise if the stiffer bars are still available, and wether they can be made to fit ucf10/ucf11. If not, can a custom order be made.

Many thanks!
I'd try and contact Whiteline and see what they could do for you.
http://www.whiteline.com

Are there many first gen LS400/Celsiors on the streets these days?
Old 01-08-07, 12:01 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

I had addco bar on my former 92' acura legend with stock suspension. The bar itself made my drive a lot better. My car was FWD so it understeered. The rear bar helped balanced it out.

But now we're talking about the LS400. IMO, 300%+ increase over stock bar is a bit too much, unless you have a front bar to help shift the bias.
Old 01-08-07, 05:20 PM
Joshwa
Rookie

Originally Posted by RA40
I'd try and contact Whiteline and see what they could do for you.
http://www.whiteline.com

Are there many first gen LS400/Celsiors on the streets these days?
Thanks, but they refuse to make me bar’s as it’s “too hard for a LS400” not too many people want to know about anything custom in Australia for LS400, or Lexus for that matter.

We had a huge influx of 1st gen’s up until the import rules changed, pulled the value out of local delivered ones, but such is life, plus with all the anti “hooning” media we have, and with the recent change’s to power restrictions that will come into place they are now even harder to sell, being a V8.

Main reason why I decided to pull mine apart an build it up to have some fun, couldn’t bare to lose so much money.
Old 01-19-07, 07:31 PM
steveski
Lexus Champion

A quick update - UPS lost my Addco bar last week. There is another one coming on track for delivery next week.
Old 01-28-07, 01:26 PM
steveski
Lexus Champion

For those following this thread I finally received the new sway bar from Addco. It is installed and it cleaned up the rear suspension nicely. A few words of caution if you order this bar:

1. The bar comes only with: sway bar, bushings and mounts - NOT sway bar links like many pictures show. Sway bar links can be bought for $30 each if they are in need of replacement.
2. Addco says this bar is a direct fit for the 1995 LS. However, the holes at the end of the sway bar that connect the sway bar to the end links were too small. I had to drill both of them out in order for my sway bar links to fit.
3. The installation brackets (over bushings) have pre-cut holes (2 bolts each) which were not alligned properly. I had to modify one installation bracket to make both sides fit like the stock bar. It took me drilling a new hole and elongating the other.

All in all it is finally complete and I am impressed with the handling difference. Up front I have the Tom's STB and it works nicely with the rear sway bar. Next I will install a Tom's lower brace to further stiffen the front chassis.
Old 01-28-07, 01:39 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by steveski
For those following this thread I finally received the new sway bar from Addco. It is installed and it cleaned up the rear suspension nicely. A few words of caution if you order this bar:

1. The bar comes only with: sway bar, bushings and mounts - NOT sway bar links like many pictures show. Sway bar links can be bought for $30 each if they are in need of replacement.
2. Addco says this bar is a direct fit for the 1995 LS. However, the holes at the end of the sway bar that connect the sway bar to the end links were too small. I had to drill both of them out in order for my sway bar links to fit.
3. The installation brackets (over bushings) have pre-cut holes (2 bolts each) which were not alligned properly. I had to modify one installation bracket to make both sides fit like the stock bar. It took me drilling a new hole and elongating the other.

All in all it is finally complete and I am impressed with the handling difference. Up front I have the Tom's STB and it works nicely with the rear sway bar. Next I will install a Tom's lower brace to further stiffen the front chassis.
any pics of the mods u had to make? i was thinking of picking up one as a birthday present to myself

about how long did the install take?

Quick Reply: Addco rear ant-roll bar