LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Addco rear ant-roll bar

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-07, 01:49 PM
Thermactor
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can easily do the work that's needed. I figure that just this will help tremendously for my intents and purposes - all-stock suspension and wheels, want to keep it that way, but want to reduce roll. Rockin!
Old 01-28-07, 03:37 PM
akxx
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by steveski
For those following this thread I finally received the new sway bar from Addco. It is installed and it cleaned up the rear suspension nicely. A few words of caution if you order this bar:

1. The bar comes only with: sway bar, bushings and mounts - NOT sway bar links like many pictures show. Sway bar links can be bought for $30 each if they are in need of replacement.
2. Addco says this bar is a direct fit for the 1995 LS. However, the holes at the end of the sway bar that connect the sway bar to the end links were too small. I had to drill both of them out in order for my sway bar links to fit.
3. The installation brackets (over bushings) have pre-cut holes (2 bolts each) which were not alligned properly. I had to modify one installation bracket to make both sides fit like the stock bar. It took me drilling a new hole and elongating the other.

All in all it is finally complete and I am impressed with the handling difference. Up front I have the Tom's STB and it works nicely with the rear sway bar. Next I will install a Tom's lower brace to further stiffen the front chassis.

Handling impressions?
Front planted better/reduced understeer?
High-speed on-ramp tests?

Inquiring minds want to know!
Old 01-28-07, 07:28 PM
steveski
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
any pics of the mods u had to make? i was thinking of picking up one as a birthday present to myself

about how long did the install take?
No pics but it was easy with a decent drill and bit set. At the end of the bar there are 2 pre-drilled holes for the sway bar links. I just drilled them slowly with a bit of oil to cool the bit. I had to drill two spots on one bracket so the holes would align properly. All in all it took about 40 minutes to install. Here are some helpful tips:

1. Remove one rear wheel or both. Remove the 4 muffler nuts (12mm) so the mufflers will hang and give you a bit of clearance. You can slide the sway bar in through the side.

2. The two sway bar links are tricky to remove. There are 17mm nuts and the bolts the are attached to are little ball joints. To remove the sway bar links and install the new bar you NEED a 6mm allen to insert into the bolt end (ball joint). I recommend a 6mm allen tool that you attach to a 3/8 driver or breaker bar. Don't use an allen wrench - there is a good chance it will round out. You must turn the 6mm allen clockwise and the 17mm nut the opposite. I sprayed liquid wrench and let it sit for a bit. You only have to remove the end link that attaches to the sway bar unless you want to check all 4 ball joints.

It was easy and worth the time and money. Even though it took 2 months to get in and I had to drill larger holes and new ones in one bracket I would do it all over again....handles nicely.
Old 01-28-07, 07:36 PM
steveski
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by akxx
Handling impressions?
Front planted better/reduced understeer?
High-speed on-ramp tests?

Inquiring minds want to know!
It handles fantastic. Balanced, firm and planted. Remember I have other suspension mods but if you go with this or a similar sway bar and maybe a STB up front you would see dramatic improvements over stock even with OEM struts/springs. My LS handles considerably better than my Father-in-Law's GS 400.

You can push the car with your hands up by the roof trying to rock it side to side (body roll) and it is stiff as can be. I did the same test on the GS and it moved considerably more. I threw it into some corners today and the rear was planted more solidly than before - it should considering the increase in the bars size, etc. The front end always felt good due to struts/springs and STB. High speed ramps are smooth also. My 350z handles better of course but the old LS is really close considering size and weight. I am very pleased.

What next.......? My original plan was to re-engineer the suspension and I have - there will always be more to do
Old 02-22-07, 02:53 PM
steveski
Lexus Champion

One last update to those reading this thread. It has been a few weeks since the install and I have driven considerable miles since then.

I really like the bar and would suggest it to anyone who wants to keep the car stock looking but drastically improve the ride performance. The rear sway bar coupled with the Tom's STB makes for a stiff ride - especially with 4 passengers.
Old 02-22-07, 08:18 PM
akxx
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks for the update Steve.
Old 10-24-08, 04:23 PM
hobojoe
Lead Lap

Steve or anyone who did the mods i am trying to install my bar right now and the gold brackets shipped with the bar well the holes line up but the bracket is longer than the old ones and thus sit up against the metal rather than fit inbetween..... so if i install them like that id have metal rubbing together. any ideas?
Old 10-25-08, 11:38 AM
Dutch
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i read through the whole thread and dont remember seeing where you guys are getting these bars from? other than addco but through what distributor?
Old 10-25-08, 03:06 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

performancecenter, summit, and iirc Jegs all sell them.
Old 10-25-08, 05:41 PM
hobojoe
Lead Lap

summit here and too all who care i figured out my problem and OMG this thing is an amazing mod to the handling of this car!
Old 10-26-08, 07:12 PM
steveski
Lexus Champion

Now if we could get the front one engineered we'd be in business. I upgraded the front bushings to Energy greasable poly's. They did their part to stiffen the front. Those with the Tom's strut bar make the front stiffer then OEM.
Old 10-26-08, 08:38 PM
hobojoe
Lead Lap

Yea as for the rears did yours come with a gold bracket? mine did and the only way it would mount it came in contact with the metal around id and from time to time i can now hear it rubbing. as for the strut bar i am going to go with a jic carbon fiber strut bar ment for the supra.
Old 10-26-08, 11:30 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

don't go with carbon or you're going to have to shim it with washers. if you use metal you can bend it a tiny bit.

can't bend carbon.
Old 10-27-08, 07:01 PM
hobojoe
Lead Lap

Yea but to me i like the looks and 2-4 mm of shims isnt so badd.
Old 10-28-08, 07:31 AM
steveski
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by hobojoe
Yea as for the rears did yours come with a gold bracket? mine did and the only way it would mount it came in contact with the metal around id and from time to time i can now hear it rubbing. as for the strut bar i am going to go with a jic carbon fiber strut bar ment for the supra.
Yup I got the gold bracket and had to modify. It was a job for sure but when I switched to Energy poly's with grease port I had to do it all over again

Either way it worked out well - the Addco bar works but it is definitley not a direct fit by any means.

I would consider the Energy poly's with grease port. Some AutoZones sell them. If not you can order from their web site using the OD of the sway bar. I grease them on every oil change

Quick Reply: Addco rear ant-roll bar