LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

How to replace signle sidemarker bulb on a 98?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-04, 04:37 PM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Default How to replace signle sidemarker bulb on a 98?

Hey guys, well my signal side marker lamps are both burned out (I’m not talking about the amber one, but the one touching the fog lamps).

I only witnessed one screw that I can take out, and even then I couldn’t take out the assembly and didn’t want to break anything. Are there any screws I have to take out from the back of the assembly? Anyone have the instructions?

I have a long trip tomorrow night, and could use the extra lighting, THANKS GUYS!

Did I mention I just got this LS and I couldn’t be any happier?
Old 08-11-04, 07:23 PM
Shaffer
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a similar problem with the front passenger side parking lamp on my 1990. Owners manual showed that only one screw to be removed in order to remove lens. Actually, it has a "plunger" type holder. I had to pull so hard, I thought it was going to destroy it. It finally popped loose. LIke I said- my car is 8 years older, so it may have a totally different set-up. Good luck.
Old 08-11-04, 07:37 PM
SharpLS-96
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Both sides are out? Did you happen to notice if they went out at the exact same time? Sounds like it might be a fuse if they did.

If they went out at different times then like Shaffer said, there probably is a plastic prong type clip that pops in & out holding the light in place so you just have to wiggle it out.
Also, you might just want to remove the plastic shroud panel a bit first from underneath the car to see if any nuts are holding it in place from behind the bumper prior to attempting to pull the light out, I doubt there is but I would look first.

Good luck!

Last edited by SharpLS-96; 08-11-04 at 07:43 PM.
Old 08-11-04, 08:14 PM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

I’m going to try, problem is, I got this car Monday and they were both out, so i have no way of telling when/how they went out at once.

I checked from the bottom, and there are lots of parts behind it, so I doubt there are any screws holding it behind there. I can almost pull it out with the front screw taken out, but it feels like its hanging on to something, and I love my fog lights

Anyone know how to do it for sure just to be safe? Thanks guys.
Old 08-11-04, 08:21 PM
SharpLS-96
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by GRAND_LS 4
I’m going to try, problem is, I got this car Monday and they were both out, so i have no way of telling when/how they went out at once.

I checked from the bottom, and there are lots of parts behind it, so I doubt there are any screws holding it behind there. I can almost pull it out with the front screw taken out, but it feels like its hanging on to something, and I love my fog lights

Anyone know how to do it for sure just to be safe? Thanks guys.
Yeah, if it feels like it's hanging up on something then it's a plastic pop-in prong holding it in place.
Believe it or not you just have to wiggle it back and forth for a while, it can be frustrating but it will eventually come loose and pop out.
Old 08-11-04, 09:22 PM
Shaffer
Pole Position

That is how it was on my 1990 LS. Screw was out and it was loose, but it was like something was holding it. It was actually a chrome peg looking thing, that went into a plug in the rear center of the lens. Good luck.
Old 08-11-04, 09:44 PM
SharpLS-96
Lexus Champion

BTW, are you sure they don't come on solid when your signaling because there known as cornering lights (not parking lights or directionals) if I'm not mistaken. Play with your directional (not hazards) and see if either the left or right one comes on solid.
Old 08-12-04, 08:36 AM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Originally posted by SharpLS-96
BTW, are you sure they don't come on solid when your signaling because there known as cornering lights (not parking lights or directionals) if I'm not mistaken. Play with your directional (not hazards) and see if either the left or right one comes on solid.
Yeah, I’m very sure they are completely inoperational. Im going to wait until the weather cools down before doing anything.

Last edited by GRAND_LS 4; 08-12-04 at 08:36 AM.
Old 08-12-04, 03:45 PM
Stefwilli
Wheel Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If your talking about the light next to the fog light than you don't have any thing to worry about. That is a nonfunctional light, it's just there I guess to add to look of the car. If you want you can look through the lense and you'll see that there is no bulb in there. Enjoy you car
Old 08-13-04, 03:55 PM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 254 Likes on 201 Posts

Over on the LexusOwnersClub forum someone once posted a pre-production photo of a 98 LS which showed the lens next to the fog light being used as an amber side marker light. The story that was with the photo said that Toyota didn't realize that this lens was below the DOT required heighth for a side marker light and that the tacked on front side marker was a hurried response. I had always wondered why the front side markers on the 98-00 looked like they didn't belong.

Some people convert the lens next to the fog light as an additional turn signal or marker light. Here are some instructions: http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums...hl=side+marker
Old 08-15-04, 11:33 PM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Originally posted by Stefwilli
If your talking about the light next to the fog light than you don't have any thing to worry about. That is a nonfunctional light, it's just there I guess to add to look of the car. If you want you can look through the lense and you'll see that there is no bulb in there. Enjoy you car
THAT’S what I did, and I saw nothing in there! But i could have sworn I’ve seen LS's with Side marker lights, so i went to the dealership to check it out while waiting for my oil change, and they told me it works and I even bought the light bulbs, that’s why it really made me think there was an actual bulb there, but I just couldn’t see it.
Old 08-18-04, 01:47 AM
Falcon LS
Lead Lap

Default Re: How to replace signle sidemarker bulb on a 98?

Originally posted by GRAND_LS 4
Did I mention I just got this LS and I couldn’t be any happier?
Congrats!
Old 08-18-04, 01:07 PM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Default Re: Re: How to replace signle sidemarker bulb on a 98?

Originally posted by Falcon LS
Congrats!
Glad to see you here bud!