LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Best wood trim kit?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-04, 12:18 PM
usermel
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs up Bad woodkit?

I feel for lkirchner and what happened to him. I just want to say he might have gotten the wrong color match-up. I have been buying woodkits for my cars for the last 10 years so i am aware of the different shades and grains year by year. Lexusk8 showed how you can get the wrong color match for the kits. The kit in the picture Lexusk8 has showed looks like birds eye maple or some other lighter wood choice. I can't post pictures because i have no way of doing so, but my woodkit is a perfect match. Also lkirchner makes a good point buyer beware, the company you buy from won't give a refund after you have installed the product. Also woodkits are nice but do them because you want one, not because you saw another person with it and it looks nice. The choice of buying a woodkit adds next to no value on a trade to a dealer for another car. And be sure that you want it because removal of these kits i have never done, but im sure if they can be removed it will be costly. The dealer made an error with my CD player in my LS430 and i have a woodkit piece on the audio area. They had to replace the whole audio system and purchased another woodkit piece for my car. I hope caliness can find the exact match, be careful caliness if you decide to buy the kit and make sure the color choice is exact. GOD IS GOOD ALL THE TIME.
Old 08-27-04, 12:21 PM
caliness
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Bad woodkit?

Originally posted by usermel
I feel for lkirchner and what happened to him. I just want to say he might have gotten the wrong color match-up. I have been buying woodkits for my cars for the last 10 years so i am aware of the different shades and grains year by year. Lexusk8 showed how you can get the wrong color match for the kits. The kit in the picture Lexusk8 has showed looks like birds eye maple or some other lighter wood choice. I can't post pictures because i have no way of doing so, but my woodkit is a perfect match. Also lkirchner makes a good point buyer beware, the company you buy from won't give a refund after you have installed the product. Also woodkits are nice but do them because you want one, not because you saw another person with it and it looks nice. The choice of buying a woodkit adds next to no value on a trade to a dealer for another car. And be sure that you want it because removal of these kits i have never done, but im sure if they can be removed it will be costly. The dealer made an error with my CD player in my LS430 and i have a woodkit piece on the audio area. They had to replace the whole audio system and purchased another woodkit piece for my car. I hope caliness can find the exact match, be careful caliness if you decide to buy the kit and make sure the color choice is exact. GOD IS GOOD ALL THE TIME.
Since you have experience in wood kits, which company in your opinion has the best quality kits??
Old 08-27-04, 01:38 PM
lkirchner
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

Originally posted by lexusk8
Is it possible that you ordered/installed the wrong trim to match the OEM wood pieces? I know that Exotic Wood Dash has different trim kits for each Lexus model year, and it can be drastic to install the trim kit and find out later that it looks so off compared to the rest of the wood trim, but it does happen (this is why I double-checked on my kit to make sure it is the true match before ordering and installation).

One of the ES members unfortunately did that to his car and is obviously not happy about it (well it's sort of really his mistake for ordering the wrong colored trim kit):

There were 3 wood trims available on the exoticwooddash site. 2 were birdseye maple and one walnut. My LS does not have the birdseye but has the walnut. One thing that makes me certain that they are not too particular about the trim match, is that the kit had parts for both the standard LS and the Ultra. There are distinct differences between the 2; in particular the light switch, rear reading lights and the rear door handle covers and they include parts for each option.. The interesting thing here is that the wood trim is different between the 2 options one is standard walnut and the other is antique walnut but the parts were all the same in the kit. They seem to have a one size fits all philosophy.

The thread above that shows the installation where somebody said it looks more red is exactly how my installation came out ; not too close is it?
Old 08-27-04, 04:29 PM
usermel
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs up Woodkits.

Well caliness its a judgement call for the most part. I started of paying the extra bucks (over $300) intially, just so i could see what was going on with woodkits,window tinting,and rear spoilers etc. What im saying is take your time and shop around for the proper woodkit and company. The safest bet might be to check with a local company who does window tinting, wheels and tires or other aftermarket work. That way they can see first hand what color choice you need and the exact pieces you need. In person is how i prefer to help people so this is the next best thing. Be patient, lkirchner is right about what his problems are with woodkits, thats why its important to be patient and buy it right. If you don't have but a certain amount to spend on the kit, wait and save about $100 more. The price you may pay later if you recieve the wrong kit could cost alot more. The 2 sites i gave you are the one's iv'e dealt with, do your homework first, don't take the good side of my experience only. Pay close attention to what lkirchner is saying because when dealing with any company they are only concerned with the money. Also try to talk to someone who works for the company you chose on the phone to double check on color choices of the kit you want caliness. Again BE PATIENT.Your money is a tool , just a piece of paper, but a tool none the less don't waste it with a quick decision. And keep the emotion out of your choice, to buy or not to buy. Wait until you get what you want, including price. What i said about spending more is only a suggestion, take it like a grain of salt. GOD IS GOOD ALL THE TIME.

Last edited by usermel; 08-27-04 at 04:33 PM.