LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

130mph in my LS400

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-01, 10:04 PM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts
Thumbs up

Getting there, faster, faster, faster...

Still haven't located the right spot for a top speed assault but ran it down a lonely 2 lane road this evening up to 130mph. It shifted from 3rd to 4th in the high 120s. This road has NO lights and NO shoulder. Seems MUCH faster than blasting down a lighted 6 lane highway at 125 :eek:

Hope to find a good stretch soon. I want to test the top end on the car but DO NOT want to endanger anyone else and DO NOT want to be arrested for going 150mph. Guess I am getting soft in my old age.

BTW, I posted this in the racing section also but figured it deserved to be in the LS forum also.
Old 04-18-01, 06:56 AM
SQ-LS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your crazy Jbrady! LOL I took my car to the HRP last Fri and ran a 16.5 for my first time with the car fully loaded with the stereo system, a hot engine from getting there, and a humid and hot weather condition at the tracks! Then I did some highway racing going back with some Hondas at speeds up to 125! I figure when I get my heat shield on, take out my subs, and get better weather conditions I can definitely get down to the 15s! :eek: Remember this was my first time. With some experience I should get a better time. Any tips from the pro (jbrady) on how to get a better time? Tips like how to lauch the car, shift, etc.? I'm getting ready for you Jbrady!

Last edited by SQ-LS; 04-18-01 at 07:01 AM.
Old 04-18-01, 10:09 AM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Lou, next time you go to HRP give me a call. I will go with you and see what you've got

Look at the time slip and tell me:

60ft time:
1/4 mile ET:
1/4 mile MPH:

If you didn't do it, next time pull up on the scale just after the time shack. Get a good weight with you in the car. The lighter the better (hence your comment to remove the subs). Mine was 3915 with me in it. I went 2.33 60ft
15.5 @ 90 off the highway
15.4 @ 91 after a cool off

What is the redline on the 1st gen cars? Does it shift at or very near redline by itself? Did you launch from idle or did you load the converter?
Old 04-18-01, 01:20 PM
SQ-LS
Lexus Test Driver

I don't have the slip with me but I'll get it tonight.
I basicly rev the car to 2500 on launch. Should I rev more? Yeah I forgot about the weight thing, next time.
I know for sure the 1/4 was 16.554. It was my first time so I wasted a whole second and a half at the light.
I did shift around 5500-6000 or red line.
Forgot to turn off O/D.
Next time I call ya when I go.
Old 04-18-01, 04:46 PM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Lou, your Dragon TC stalls at I believe 2850. This is the rpm that it achieves fluid coupling. It multiply's the torque MORE at lower rpms. Loading the TC is good for turbo cars as it allows you to make boost off the line. On a NA car I would start at idle. If it smokes the tires too much raise the launch rpm. You are looking for the best combo of slight wheel spin and traction. Post your slip when you find it. Weigh that car next time at the track. You mentioned 6000rpm shifts, is that manually shifted or left in drive? If it does it on its own I would leave it in drive. The O/D never comes into play. The traction control does.
Old 04-19-01, 06:44 AM
SQ-LS
Lexus Test Driver

6000 is redline and it did it in drive. So basicly your saying I should just start it from idle?
I'll post my times up tomorrow when I can find the slip.
Thanks John.
Old 04-20-01, 12:10 AM
Rollin
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

I've gone 153 and change in mine a 94 LS-400 I haven't had it to the track as of yet but will get it there eventually. I took a Mustang bud for a ride last weekend before the "Princess" was taken to school by "Barrara" fight and took it to 140 before he start hitting the passenger brake lol. He was amazed at the solid feel and the fact that we could actually hold a conversation at 120. When I launch it I load the convertor and go, I used the same technique in my GN I load it to build boost and leave at 11lbs. BTW I ran across a STS Wed that was feeling frisky, he just killed a Camary. I got out on him but hit a expansion joint in the road and the Trac Control came on(mental note turn it off next time), he pulled around me then as he hit second I pulled back even on him then hit second it was fairly even then he bowed out. I took the merge Later Geoff.
Old 04-20-01, 01:55 PM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

153mph in a 94 LS400 :eek: wow. Car&Driver listed the following:
1990-1992 LS-400 Top Speed 150mph Car and Driver
1993-1994 LS-400 Top Speed 145mph Car and Driver (wider tires increased drag for years 93 to 94 reducing speed)
1995-1997 LS-400 Top Speed 156mph Car and Driver (new body style, improved drag coefficient)
1998-2000 LS-400 Top Speed 150mph Car and Driver (governed) further reduced drag and 290hp VVTI. I would guess ungoverned speed to be around 160-165mph.

This is not to say that your car could not top 150 under ideal conditions (tail wind, down hill etc). What size tires are you running?

What was you 1/4 mile performance? Any performance mods?
Old 04-21-01, 10:36 PM
LOTC
VIP 様式

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default wow!

you guys got me all excitied. now i want to try the 1/4. hey you guys does the pwr ect button on the 90-94 LS 400 really do anything and also i have a stereo system in my trunk does it really slow down that much.
Old 04-22-01, 01:18 AM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

The power ECT makes the tranny downshift faster. I am unsure as if it makes it rev higher before shifting. If it does you DEFINITELY want it set to power. I leave mine in power all the time. To get your fastest 1/4 mile times you want the car as light as possible. Weight will slow you and increase friction. You also want your tires inflated to there max range to reduce friction. If you stereo is heavy and removeable, TAKE it OUT before racing. Let us know how you do
Old 04-22-01, 01:44 AM
Rollin
Driver School Candidate

Jb I run 225/45/ZR 17 Potenza's as far as mods I made a cold air intake, removed the Mufflers and added 2.5 Race Magnums in place of the Resonators out back they are black and look killer back there The night(4:00 am) of the Top speed run it took awhile. There were no other cars out. I heard they were 150 mph cars I was curious so I just planted the pedal. I was at 148 for some time the I hit a small valley on the expressway and it started climbing I just as I reached a large under pass I hit some real dead air and it shot over 150. I was flat moving I wouldn't recommend it to those who panic easily, the car still felt stable but had a significant amount of wind noise Mine runs good if feels like a mid-high 15 sec car I haven't had it to the track yet.
Old 04-22-01, 10:50 AM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Thumbs up

150+mph...That's movin Sounds like your mods are giving you extra power. You say a cold air mod...is it true cold air or an open filter attached to the MAF? You say you removed the stock mufflers and resonators and have race magnums ONLY :eek: How loud is it? Glad to have another RACE minded LS owner here
Old 04-22-01, 02:31 PM
Rollin
Driver School Candidate

Its a K&N mounted with a cold air box mounted around it, the pick up is in the stock location. The Magnums sound awesome there quiet at idle with a slight burble but under WOT it sounds similar to a 4.6 Cobra kinda racy but subltle if I went to the 3" it would sound alittle deeper. I originally just took the Muffler's out and left the resonators but it was still so quiet you couldn't tell they were gone.
Old 04-22-01, 03:05 PM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Good deal, I have often counseled people to NOT go with open element filters drawing HOT underhood air. You did it right and are reaping the rewards. Did you notice any change in the low end engine response with the open exhaust? I would like to hear the car, I doubt I will be in Tulsa but if you are in Houston for any reason drop me an email.
Old 04-23-01, 07:57 PM
LOTC
VIP 様式

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default setup pictures!

hey,rollin can you post some pics of your intake setup and your magnums?

Quick Reply: 130mph in my LS400