LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-01, 07:13 PM
zushwa
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hey lou or JB...I have a two part question I'd like to pick your brains about...or anyone else with some insight...

I've noticed the GS's and SC's upgrade brakes quite a bit, whether it be because of other performance mod's or just because of larger, heavier wheels....

first, are there any reasonably priced brake upgrades for the LS's??? I saw on carparts.com that they have Goodridge G-stop SS brake lines...this helps with the "mushy" feeling...is that right????

and second, when I upgrade my wheels will I need to take into consideration (diameter, offset) a future brake upgrade....

I don't really see the necessity in a "major" upgrade but something simple and affordable is worth the homework.

any wisdom on the subject would be appreciated
Old 05-09-01, 03:14 PM
TonyN
Instructor

Received 119 Likes on 82 Posts
Arrow

well if you want a complete brake up grade..disk(slotted or drilled)pistons, pads and lines then you are looking abover 1200+. I would suggest high performance pads. Axxis Metal master are great.. they emmit no brake dust, almost no rotors damage, and increase stoping by 10-15%. I have just installed new stock rotors on the front and new axxis pads on all four sides. It's great!!!, no need for all othes performance package you want the look or are pushing 500+hp.
Steel brakes line do help alot, i would suggest them if you have spare money, i dont' so i didn't do it. Lexus has a great setup already so no need to go all out..
tony
Old 05-10-01, 07:01 AM
SQ-LS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think Manaray can help you out. Last time he got RMM brakes disc and lines for a group buy around $800. I plan on doing one in the future and recommend it if your increasing HP. On the wheel size just make sure you can clear the current brakes calipers and that be sufficient enough, especially since your planning to go 18".
Old 05-10-01, 08:29 AM
TonyN
Instructor

i dont' think that you need to worry about the larger rims just as long as you make sure the brakes you buy will fit your stock. I have 18's on mine, and any new brake package will work with it.

Old 05-12-01, 11:10 AM
anju

Hi I'm new to this forum, and I too have been researching brake upgrades! With stock 16" wheels, choices are limited to pads and stainless steel lines.
I understand that Lexus uses organic pads and have been reluctant to try the semi-metallic Axxis Metal Masters (noise?). The RMM complete upgrade looks good on paper, but would entail new 17" wheels (minimum) and tires. I haven't found a set of wheels that I like yet. Any suggestions?
How does one improve brake feel? My wife's '97 E420 brakes feel great! It's like stepping on a brick - solid!
My '98 LS400 brakes feel mushy in comparisson.
Where in the design does "feel" come into play?
Amount of boost?
Any feedback from those who tried different upgrades would be welcome!
Thanks in advance.
Old 05-13-01, 01:37 AM
zushwa
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for everyone's replies...

I think the SS brake lines and new pads will suffice for now...if I decide to go with an actual brake upgrade then I'll contact manaray (thanks Lou)....

If anyone has any other input as to a specific brand of SS brake line or pad, good or bad, please let the rest of the forum know....

anju, welcome to the forum...as I understand it from other threads all the LS's have soft feeling brakes, as well as the rest of the Lexus family, and the stainless steel brake lines will help with this but in my original post I was looking for confirmation on this...
Old 05-13-01, 09:13 PM
TonyN
Instructor

I recomend Axxis Metal Master for the front, and Axxis Deluxe for the back. These are semi metallic pad, and are great. The have no brake dust ( Deluxe does a little), close to zero rotor damage, and last 3 times longer than standards. I have them on my car and it's great. The only other brand that i think is better is kevalar.