LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

LS400 vs ImpalaSS vid

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-01, 06:35 AM
JacobT

Thumbs up

http://www.cs.utexas.edu/~dat/TSR/LS...nks-impala.mpg

See the LS400 spanks ImpalaSS, TWICE!
Old 04-24-01, 09:47 AM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

What year LS400, 95-97 or 98-00? Any mods? Impala mods?

Looks like the LS got the jump both times and the Impala closed the gap then it went equal with the LS gaining slightly on the top end of the 1st race. Yes, the LS won but hard to say it was a spanking. The Impala's 340lbs/tq are definitely evident in the mid range but the driver didn't even spin the tires. The Lexus driver left spinning
Old 04-24-01, 11:22 AM
JacobT

Default jbrady

I believe its a 96 LS400 and 95 ImpalaSS. There's a poll going on http://www.texasracingscene.com about who's winning. Most people voted for Lexus
Old 04-25-01, 08:19 AM
The Ikon
Lexus Champion

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

That web site is not working for me. Do you have another link...? What are the results of the poll???
Old 04-25-01, 08:27 AM
JacobT

The "ezboard" site was down for maintenance. That's why you had problems accessing it. It should be up sometimes today.

Last time I check the poll, 70% people think the LS beats the Impala and 30% think it's not a fair race because the LS jumped first.
Old 04-26-01, 08:33 AM
Kyle F

Default You must be kidding

I cant believe I found this. You (edited) think you are cool for modifying a Lexus. Well I got 231 cubic inches of pushrod power you will never touch, (edited).
I saw that video and just laughed my (edited) off that you though it was cool that a Lexus could run side by side with an Impala SS. Well I would hope so if you paid that much for a "performance car". I could imagine what would happen if the impalla owner spent the money he saved on the sticker price of the two cars on mods. He would have riped that (edited) a new one and then spit lubed it for the rape he is going to give him. I think that is pathetic. I guess people will modify anything, even a glorified Toyota. Tell me how does it feel to drive a $40,000 Toyota (edited)?

Last edited by SQ-LS; 04-26-01 at 09:21 AM.
Old 04-26-01, 09:19 AM
SQ-LS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Kyle F you are welcome to our club but please refrain from foul language and attitude. If you continue then I must ask you to leave our club. We appreciate your interest to the club and welcome you as a new member but we are very strict in keeping this a clean and friendly community. I have edited your message. Thank you.
Old 04-26-01, 09:21 AM
sc300tt
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Kyle, thanks for your wonderful comments. We are all aware of the superior build quality and creature comforts inherent in the Impala SS as most of the upper class execs are always driving to work in them. We are simply bitter snobs and need to make ourselves feel better by racing underpowered vehicles such as the Impala SS which are clearly built for luxury, unlike the LS400 which is a cheap plastic boat built solely for the drag strip.

BTW, that LS400 stickered for $57,000 and I'd love to run your big ole 231 cubic with my teeny-tiny 183 cubic inch Lexus. Still wanna talk big?

Clint
92 SC300TT HKS-Twins/6spd/NOS Black/Tan
97 SC300 5spd/BoneStock Black/Black
TurboLexus.com
TurboImports.com

Last edited by sc300tt; 04-26-01 at 09:25 AM.
Old 04-26-01, 10:23 AM
The Ikon
Lexus Champion

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Default HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A $40,000 Toyota actually our car cost in the $60,000 - $70,000 price range with our options... thanks for the COMPLIMENT!!! Hell, a $15,000 is a better car in terms of quality, effiency, reliability, value VS. any Chevy(sorry Vette' we have a '98 at home)...

My '92 SC4 is a much better in terms of all the above by a greater margin than any US car company...

I'm proud of the history of my/our car(s)!!! Without Lexus(Toyota) also Acura(Honda, They get the props for the intro to the US market w/the Legend in '86/87), Infiniti(Nissan) and yes Mazda(Millennia, 929) the luxury car market would not be this advance in terms of tech., luxury, value, maintenance, etc....

Hey son, check out the surveys...J.D. Powers, Motor Trend, Consumer Reports/Review.... And the winner is LEXUS.. Best buys of ALL LEXUS CARS...SC, LS, GS, ES and the IS next year... in ALL used car review/consumer reports.... The owners don't lie, when they have to spend their big $$$$ for their Toyota...

You can also tell by the attitudes of LESSER car owners, by the owners demeanor...

CRAPPY QUALITY = CRAPPY CAR = CRAPPY OWNERSS ATTITUDE

This is not the Club Metro, Cavalier, Lumina, Monte Carlo, Impala, Blazer, Sunfire, Grand Am, Bonneville, and yes Aztec... Just a few examples of $#!T.....:eek: Look at these cars and leave our forum!!!

No, stay here!!!

"HOW FAR YOU GO, DEPENDS ON THE COMPANY YOU KEEP..."

So enjoy the company of the LEXUS aura........ and the members at CL...

The Ikon

Last edited by The Ikon; 04-26-01 at 10:25 AM.
Old 04-26-01, 10:31 AM
LexRX
RX 300 & 350Z Guru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: You must be kidding

Originally posted by Kyle F
I cant believe I found this. You (edited) think you are cool for modifying a Lexus. Well I got 231 cubic inches of pushrod power you will never touch, (edited).
I saw that video and just laughed my (edited) off that you though it was cool that a Lexus could run side by side with an Impala SS. Well I would hope so if you paid that much for a "performance car". I could imagine what would happen if the impalla owner spent the money he saved on the sticker price of the two cars on mods. He would have riped that (edited) a new one and then spit lubed it for the rape he is going to give him. I think that is pathetic. I guess people will modify anything, even a glorified Toyota. Tell me how does it feel to drive a $40,000 Toyota (edited)?
Modified Lexus vehicles are cool aren't they. Some people get real fired up over this huh...hmmm. Oh, and if the Impala owner had spent more money, he would have more luxuries. You're not just paying a lot of money for nothing...Lexus is loaded. That's what a glorified toyota is I mean they are even called toyota in Japan, instead of Lexus. It feels GREAT to drive a $40k toyota, and yes we call them Lexus. People take a lot of stock in the name, but what really matters is the wonderful quality you get. And, if you're referring to the LS, go higher...more like a $60k toyota.
Old 04-26-01, 10:59 AM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Kyle, clearly you have never ridden in or driven a LS400. Do you know anything at all about this car or are you just anti-Toyota (or anything imported)? If you check carefully you will find a fair amount of imported content in ANY American made (or so labeled) car. You really should be more careful with your statements, you come off as someone making "racial" slurs just to make their own insecure self feel "better". If you had family killed by the Japanese in WWII and you hate Japanese anything because of it, you at least have a reason, sad, but a reason. If not, get over it.

As you are probably unaware, the LS400s in 95-97 (was this a 96?) had a 4.0 liter (244ci) V8 making 260hp. The SS has a 350ci motor making 260hp. Both vehicles are around 4000lbs. The SS has a torque advantage, the LS has a rev advantage. I do not know the top speed of the SS but the LS is 156mph. Was the LS built for racing? No. The SS? Much more so than the LS.

The interesting thing about this race was that it WAS a Lexus. It is great to see all performance people that are willing to race, win or lose. There is always a faster car, always.
Old 04-26-01, 05:44 PM
Harrier
Pole Position

Was there any mention of the LS being modified? I don't remember reading so. I think Kyle F is a hit and run poster.
Old 04-27-01, 06:32 AM
Kyle F

Angry

Nope, Im not a hit and run poster. My 231 cubes runs a quarter mile in 11.5, sorry no lexus on here with the stock motor is going to touch that. My trans am has the stock heads, block, and cam and only displace 3.8L.

I have to apologize about my language, I was being very imature. Its not imports I hate because I love BMW and VW(Porche, Audi all the sam manufacturer). I don't see why a $60,000 is competing with a $25,000 car. I mean if we want to talk money to money how would a race tuen out against an Caddy STS?

I am a through back to the old days, I love big torqey motors with a nice low rumble exhaust note. Sure American cars have a higher repair rate, that is because the is 3 times as more of them on the road. SO logic goes to say all things being equal there should be 3 Times as many Problems with them. I could go on and on about this subject, but it makes no difference because you guys love these cars the way I love Trans Ams and other Classic Pontiacs. Though Toyota, Honda, or Nissan(Besides the Z Cars) will never make an Icon of a car. Like Chevys 57 Bel Air, 65 Pontiac GTO, 65 Ford Mustang. The only Import manufacturer to be able to pull that off was VW with the "BUG"

Quality may be better because the Japanese workers that work in those plants were made to leave school in the third grade and had a choice to work there or in a sweat shop for Kathy Lee. SO ofcourse they will do a better job because they have to.
Quite Frankly I would rather drive an American car and keep money in my pocket rather than push any Lexus or Acura and owe my soul to the bank.
Old 04-27-01, 07:35 AM
LexRX
RX 300 & 350Z Guru

I'm not so sure about imports not making an icon of a car, that really depends on the person(s) considering the car. I suppose rationalizing the quality of japanese automobiles makes people feel better about not owning them, whatever helps them sleep. The truth of the matter is that nothing is as black and white as many people percieve it.

The thing about racing the LS against the SS is that the Lexus may be more expensive, but that is more vechile technology and luxuries more so than performance parts. While the LS is more expensive, the SS is acutally built for being fast...the LS is not - it is a Luxo cruiser. What is amazing here is that, while not being built to race like the SS is, it still does a greatd job at it while still retaining it's qualities that make is so plush.

And who says you have to owe your sould to the bank. Buying a luxury car doesn't necessarily mean you owe your soul...some people do have the means to pay for it all at once. I'm just tired of generalizations and "fuzzy logic" (Kind of like George W's "fuzzy math"...lol) If everyone like the same car then we wouldn't have the variety we have today, and if everyone owned a Lexus then who's car would I make fun of...just kidding.

You are certainly entitled to you opinion and I will see that, but it just isn't a good idea to argue you point on a LEXUS site. I just hope this doesn't turn out to be another one of those long pointless drawnout argument so common to message boards. That means me too.

Last edited by LexRX; 04-27-01 at 07:38 AM.
Old 04-27-01, 02:12 PM
Rollin
Driver School Candidate

Knock, Knock, knock, Kyle..... anybody home?
The Lexus SC-300 and a Twin Turbo Supra have alot of basics incommon, hint hint. TT Toyota's respond to mods as easily as any Turbo TA/TurboRegal if not better and have been known to run well into the 10's with a stock unopened motor, just like TR's it's all in the tune.
Read the replies Kyle, your bringing a knife to a gunfight.

Quick Reply: LS400 vs ImpalaSS vid