LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Knock coming from right front

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-04, 10:12 PM
Brian S
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I picked the belt for about $50, but do I need the rest of this stuff for a proper timing belt replacement (that will be done by my local mechanic)?

Sincerely,

A Novice About Timing Belt Replacements
Old 11-18-04, 05:20 AM
thekat
Driver School Candidate

I am going to have a shop do the work.. I usually just order the parts
for the mechanic.. since I can get a good price on them..

Some shops won't let you do this.. so check first.. but you can argue that
the parts are new OEM in a sealed package.. I figure if the labor is several
hundred dollars a shop won't complain much if you provide the parts..

If you are going to replace the timing belt.. the water pump and all
the other parts I had listed (minus the hood struts) all have to be removed so most go ahead
and replace the water pump and tensioner are replaced at the
same time as the timing belt.

hth
Old 11-20-04, 09:06 AM
Brian S
Lead Lap

Originally posted by thekat
If you are going to replace the timing belt.. the water pump and all
the other parts I had listed (minus the hood struts) all have to be removed so most go ahead
and replace the water pump and tensioner are replaced at the
same time as the timing belt.[/B]
Is this generally what Lexus would do? I didn't know the timing belt was one of those go-ahead-and-replace-other-stuff-while-you're-at-it things. I guess this will be a bit more expensive than I thought.

Thanks,

Brian
Old 11-20-04, 03:04 PM
VVT-i
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally posted by Brian S
Is this generally what Lexus would do? I didn't know the timing belt was one of those go-ahead-and-replace-other-stuff-while-you're-at-it things. I guess this will be a bit more expensive than I thought.

Thanks,

Brian
Your knocking noise is from the strut bars and replace both sides at the same time.

The timing belt question, you can just replace the timing belt, but if the water pump leak in the future or the tensioner goes bad on you. Then they will have to tear down the timing belt cover, remove the timing belt just to replace the water pump and tensioner. So, you have to pay the labor twice. This is one of those " Pay me now or pay me later".

I know every shop will love to do just the timing belt, because they don't have to drain the coolant and some extra time to do the water pump. But they will note on the repair order " Recommend Water Pump, customer declined". Now, they covered their butt, because they tell you to replace the water pump, but you don't want it. If your water pump leak, they will charge you another $300.00-$400.00 to do the job again.
Old 11-21-04, 04:06 PM
Brian S
Lead Lap

Originally posted by VVT-i
Your knocking noise is from the strut bars and replace both sides at the same time.
Lately, the knock had actually gotten quieter or is non-existant at times. It's weird. I'm not going to rush into replacing anything yet.
The timing belt question, you can just replace the timing belt, but if the water pump leak in the future or the tensioner goes bad on you. Then they will have to tear down the timing belt cover, remove the timing belt just to replace the water pump and tensioner. So, you have to pay the labor twice. This is one of those " Pay me now or pay me later".
I will definately get everything taken care of now. Anything to add to the thekat's list, or do you second this recomendation?
  • Timing Belt
  • Tensioner
  • Idler 1
  • Idler 2
  • Drive Belt
  • Water Pump
Thanks,

Brian

Last edited by Brian S; 11-21-04 at 04:07 PM.
Old 11-22-04, 03:45 PM
thekat
Driver School Candidate

Originally posted by VVT-i

I know every shop will love to do just the timing belt, because they don't have to drain the coolant and some extra time to do the water pump. But they will note on the repair order " Recommend Water Pump, customer declined". Now, they covered their butt, because they tell you to replace the water pump, but you don't want it. If your water pump leak, they will charge you another $300.00-$400.00 to do the job again.
Isn't that the friggin' truth.. although a couple of shops want about 300 for labor for both water pump
and Timing belt..
I wasn't aware that the timing belt could be changed with out removing the water pump.. every car that I have
had the timing belt replaced on involved removing the water pump.. ie 350Z and an Acura TL..

I will probably do this sometime after Christmas.. the boss has just spent my Timing Belt cash..
Old 04-28-05, 11:25 AM
Brian S
Lead Lap

Finally figured out what my rattle was. I started banging around the the wheel well and found a rattle coming from behind the plastic flashing, towards the rear of the passenger wheel well. Turns out there was a little connector back there that was banging again some metal on the car during hard bumps. It had some electrical tape around it that had come loose. So I just taped it to a nearby wire loom, and the rattle is gone!

Brian
Old 04-28-05, 11:59 AM
Lexozz
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by thekat
Funny you should mention timing belt.. just got qutoes for parts..
Check em out.. good prices..

16100-50023.....WATER PUMP.....$99.56
13568-59045......TIMING BELT.....$53.17
13540-50030.....TIMING BELT TENS......$40.64
13505-50022.....TIMING BELT IDLER NO 1.....$101.14
13503-0F010.....TIMING BELT IDLER NO 2.....$64.11
90916-D2230.....DRIVE BELT.....$72.86
53440-59025.....HOOD STRUTS.....$71.25 EA.
SHIPPING.....$15.00
Where you got your quote from? I was quoted $142 for the T-belt tensioner. I know the tensioners aren't cheap! Is that price correct?
Old 04-28-05, 12:43 PM
Brian S
Lead Lap

I think he got his from Sewell Lexus - http://www.lexus-parts.com . I ordered from Carson Toyota and the price was similar; http://www.l-tunedparts.com .

Brian