LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

GS or LS

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-04, 12:31 PM
DrumProdigy83
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The two killers for me are:

LS = booooring exterior

GS = lack of sport driving...

I still haven't test driven the cars, but I trust what you guys have been telling me and it sounds like the LS is just amazing to drive, but it still is very unattractive to a 21yr old. : /

The GS looks very nice, but you guys say it lacks inside? Maybe compared to the LS it lacks... but compared to say, my Honda, it shouldn't lack a thing, right? Nearly every GS owner has complained that the steering just is not sporty at all. I am not a fan of mods, mainly because I don't have the time, space, or money to do it yet, so any car I get will have to be as flawless as possible stock.

I'd opt to get the LS and just fix up the exterior a bit, but I just won't have the money to do it and it is so incredibly boring to look at. The again, the driving experience is more important than looks... to an extent. The GS sounds good on paper but in reality appears to be more entry level luxury without the sport.

I've been thinking a lot about this and I think maybe a Lexus isn't best for me. I wanted a reliable car... but I won't even be driving much at all while I'm in school. I figure I'll do like 1,000 miles of driving tops every year I'm in school. Then after that I will be working all the time. I strayed away from BMWs because of their reliability record, but if I'm barely even driving the car I doubt I will run into any problems, especially in only 4,000 miles of driving. I still have a year to figure out what I'm going to do. I may just invest that $35k afterall so that when I am out of school I will have a good amount of money set aside to put down on a house or something. I still have to think things through, but gradually I think I am becoming less intrigued by Lexus. Sorry guys.
Old 12-11-04, 10:40 AM
GS3Tek

Received 165 Likes on 126 Posts

I don't know if you can call this a grandpa car. Everytime I see an LS, this is what I see :

Well, if a grandpa drives this, then
Attached Thumbnails GS or LS-ls430.jpg  
Old 12-11-04, 11:00 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,238 Likes on 1,357 Posts

Originally posted by DrumProdigy83
I still haven't test driven the cars, but I trust what you guys have been telling me and it sounds like the LS is just amazing to drive, but it still is very unattractive to a 21yr old. : /
If you're still thinking about buying, I'd highly recommend you get out and drive both cars and the others you are considering rather than just reading about them. You are being swayed a bit too much by popular opinions from various forums without any real personal observation. You've been vascilating for two weeks doing online research, how about moving it into the 'real world' and make up your own mind with your own experience .

Last edited by DaveGS4; 12-11-04 at 11:01 AM.
Old 12-11-04, 02:44 PM
Diesel11
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The two killers for me are The two killers for me are:

LS = booooring exterior

GS = lack of sport driving...:

You haven't even driven the LS430 and you think it's boring??? Sort of sounds a little strange doesn't it?

I think you need a little bit of time to develop your evaluation skills... hopefully medical school will give you time to do this. Unfortunately you have essentially wasted the time of the people on this forum who were legitamitely trying to provide you with useful info. Best of luck.

Fred
Old 12-11-04, 04:07 PM
lexusls430
Lexus Test Driver

If i was you id go with the gs, its good for someone your age. I really dont think the ls is boring, a lot of people comment me on my car and i get a lot of people looking at my car.
Old 12-11-04, 08:24 PM
jvcn
Driver School Candidate

If you really feel the LS is that boring, your questions were pointless. You would have known that without asking us. So you are either immature or needlessly provocative.

Waste of time. I hope you are more thoughtful with your patients. Please buy a BMW.
Old 12-11-04, 08:29 PM
SpoonSport
Rookie

The LS's ride isn't boring. The car wasn't to chase the 7-series. The GS is a great car but not as stiff as the 540i or E500. I drove all of those and the GS 430 was a "smarter" buy! I'm happier with the GS b/c you don't see them at every freaking stop light.
Every car on teh market will have its own fan base. BMW has an outstanding history for performance vehicles, until lately. Lexus built it reputation on reliability and timeless beauty.

Spoon aka grandpa
Old 12-11-04, 08:37 PM
DrumProdigy83
Driver School Candidate

Wow you guys are very quick to turn on a person. I said the EXTERIOR is very boring, and THAT is what kills it for me. From what it sounds like, the ride is amazing and it is a pure joy to drive. And didn't I also say that the ride and interior > exterior looks? Maybe you guys should reread what I wrote instead of jumping down my throat telling me I've been wasting your time...
Old 12-13-04, 12:32 AM
damon
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Chase a 7 Series?? Now that is funny!
That "I-Drive" system is a mess!!

When I chase one, it is to get dropped off for repair.

I am unfortunately no longer young. Love my LS, but understand full well that it is a compromise of automotive technolgy. Lots of cars I would rather have & that Dallas women would find more appealing ,but none make more sense for me.

911's are a dime a dozen here.

You ask a good question, but if I were your age and wanted sporty , I would buy sporty. 22 & driving an LS 430 is smart ,but may not attract what you seek.

If this is really a hard decision ,Please , Please , Please make your domicile a pre-marital asset.

In truth I would wait for a 500 HP GS 430 hybrid & tell all the ladies how environmentally concerned I am.

Real truth, I would put a turbo on the 1.8 ltr. Lotus & laugh at everyone that tried to keep pace.

Last edited by damon; 12-14-04 at 01:48 PM.
Old 12-13-04, 12:41 AM
KyleC
Driver School Candidate

I own both a GS300 and an LS430

I find myself wanting to drive the LS more often now. Mostly because I like larger cars. But I still enjoy the difference between these cars. It nice to be able to switch between them. In comparison to the LS the GS seems really stiff and sporty if you drive them back to back.

With the LS comfort I can drive around to errands all day and I enjoy it, the GS can get tiring, the steering is heavier and suspension stiffer, but still a smoother ride than the BMW equivalent.

They are both super fun cars. Enjoy your decision.
Old 12-13-04, 09:37 AM
GS3Tek

Received 165 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally posted by adidas75
I would love to drive a BMW or Mercedes Benz but their service and reliability doesn't touch Lexus.

I love this line adidas
Old 12-15-04, 04:50 PM
MikeC4w
Driver School Candidate

I had a 01 LS430 & now have an 04 LS430. the 01 was the BEST car I have ever had. The 04 has had some recall problems & is not as smooth as the 01 was.
My Mother in law (78 years young) has a GS 430 that i drive quite a bit. The GS is DEFENETLY more fun to drive.... I would not trade my LS for it full time..... BUT I am 52 years old....... IF I was in college & could swing it ,I think i would rather have the sportier looking & handling GS430....... There will be plenty of time for you to have the Quietest,,,, Most luxurious,,,,, PERFECT ( some say boring) full size LEXUS
Old 12-15-04, 05:08 PM
DrumProdigy83
Driver School Candidate

Thanks Mike. That is exactly the point I was trying to make. Now, taking things a step further... A BMW is a bit sportier than the GS so I want to take a look at those once again considering I won't really be driving the car much until after I am out of school and making money (and can therefore afford repairs... not that I want a car that will be breaking down). Lexus is still in the back of my mind, but lately I've been checking out other cars. If I stay too hung up on one car for too long it ends up getting old in my mind and therefore loses it's luster. A lot can happen in one year. It will all depend on what I can afford and what pleases me most when I drive. I appreciate all the advice and suggestions that have been made, and none of it has been offered in vain so no worries.
Old 12-15-04, 05:21 PM
DrumProdigy83
Driver School Candidate

What do you guys think of Jaguar? X type, S type, and XJ? I heard reliability is terrible, but who knows. I heard Mercedes is the same way. Any thoughts? You guys consider either of these cars before the Lexus?
Old 12-15-04, 05:30 PM
MikeC4w
Driver School Candidate

I would never buy a BMW or a Mercedes.... Great looking Cars. BUT who needs the headaches of Repairing them.
When Mercedes & Chrysler merged or whatever, the Thought was that they Could bring Chrysler up to their level. NOW I am NOT Saying that Mercedes has come down to Chryslers level BUT I feel they have met some where in the middle....... Do you see some of these little pieces of #$%^ they are Calling Mercedes??????? The SL is Awesome The S 430 or 500 is Unreal The Es are ok & the reast of them are trash as far as i am concerned. They OVER Engieneer everthing . I cant stand when i have to take a manual out of a glove box to change the clock......
BMWs just have a bad rap for breaking down... Stick with the Lexus. Where they have gone in 14 years
says it all...... They make no stupid little cars so people can say they are in a Lexus when they cant afford one.............

Quick Reply: GS or LS