LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Just Took Delivery of New LS430

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-01 | 02:00 PM
bobkon_ls430
Driver School Candidate

I just took delivery of a new Lexus LS430 in Northern California about two weeks ago, in parchment crystal with ivory interior. Kind of standard equipment package around here, the navigation system with the Mark Levinson audio system. I was drooling over the Ultra Luxury package, but it sure was a lot more expensive. Still saving for the kids' college education, so thought it might be better to cut back on some of the extras. The only problem I have had to date with it is I can't get it away from my wife. She has practically moved in to it. She said I could have it back when she can get a new SC430. She already scheduled an hour test drive appointment at the dealer.

I originally saw LS at the 2001 Chicago Auto Show when I was there on business, and knew right then and there, this would be my next car. I was really into Acura, and was waiting to see if they would announce their RL with a V8, but they put it on hold for another year, and added a few changes to the RL, but it sure can't compete with the Lexus or the new Infiniti.

Also looked at the new Q45, and it has some pretty cool stuff, and is less expensive than the LS, but it looks like they just tried too hard to come up to Lexus' standards. It was nice, but not that nice. The back door openings on the Q are so low, the kids banged their heads getting in and out.

So, someday when I get my car back, I may actually be able to post some comments about how nice it handles.

Best regards,

Bobkon_LS430 from N. California
Old 05-10-01 | 02:06 PM
SQ-LS
Lexus Test Driver

Congrats on your, uh, your wifes new LS430!
Welcome to the board also!
Old 05-10-01 | 02:14 PM
bobkon_ls430
Driver School Candidate

Thanks. I belonged to a similar forum for my Acura. Guess I have to tell them I won't be back. I had a lot of fun on that forum, I hope this one is too. Do you know if there is a lot of NorCal members? The member meet looks like a lot of fun, but I will not be able to get down to SoCal that weekend. Any meets planned up here in the near future?

Do you go by Lou or Loule?

Thanks again,

Bobkon
Old 05-10-01 | 03:08 PM
bobkon_ls430
Driver School Candidate

I traded in my '99 Acura TL 3.2 with Nav for the LS. I had 45k miles on it, and was originally going to trade for a new Acura RL if they came out with the V8. My wife has a BMW 328iS Cabriolet, black on black, which I'm driving now. I just had it completely detailed, conditioned the leather, polished the rear window, had DentPro take all the dings out, and put on a new set of z-rated tires for her for Mother's Day. It looks great! Still won't give me back the LS. I even ordered new floor mats, new gear shift **** in leather/wood. Still not good enough. I also have a 2000 Yukon XL SLT, my friend nicknamed it the "Bobkon". At only 14 MPG, it stays in the garage until the weekend, and then its time to go to the lake and catch some fish.
Old 05-10-01 | 05:56 PM
LOTC
VIP 様式

Default LS 430!

damn your lucky. welcome BOBKON_LS430!
Old 05-11-01 | 09:46 AM
bobkon_ls430
Driver School Candidate

thanks edogg, looks like a pretty good forum and some interesting people on it. my next door neighbor came over last night and busted me just sitting in it listening to the radio and playing with the nav. He said the same thing happened to him when he got his S-Type Jag, he drove it for one day, then his wife took it over. Now he's driving the minivan. I could feel his pain so I got him a beer from the garage, unlocked the passenger door and decided to alternate whose car to sit in on a warm summer's night. She can take my LS, but she she'll never get my Yukon XL or boat. Not yet, anyways.

Have a good weekend!

Bobkon
Old 05-11-01 | 02:25 PM
bobkon_ls430
Driver School Candidate

I haven't seen much offered for the LS430 yet. I would like to get 18" chrome on it and some more meat touching the ground, maybe a ground effects kit, but no rear spoiler. Right now though, the truck and boat get most of my attention. Back in February I picked up a set of 17" polished aluminum Yukon Denali rims on eBay, and fitted them with a set of Bridgestone Dueler ATs. I'm going to put winter Duelers on my stock wheels for the winter to go up to Lake Tahoe. I'm still waiting for Bushwacker to finish making the street flares for the XL. They have them for the Suburban, but the XL has extra side molding. Also took off all the badges and ordered a stainless steel billet grille and bull bar for the front. After that its a Gibson side swept exhaust, air raid intake, new MAS and a taller intake spacer. I'd also like to get the indiglo guage kit. I have quad buckets, so I'm thinking about building a brick wall between them so the kids can't fight with each other. My wife thinks a video system would work just as well. I can't really lower it because I tow with it, same reason I don't want to use split rear exhaust. I've seen it doen, but it makes a mess on the front of what you are towing. It also has the premium ride and automatic four wheel leveling suspension. Not much to the boat, except maintenance this year. Had to rebuild my fresh water pump and repaint my outdrive. Also ordered a stainless steel Michigan Rapture prop and now carry the aluminum as a spare. What a difference stainless steel makes over aluminum. I picked up at least 7-10 mph at wide open throttle and my hole shots are greatly improved, especially when my wife is trying to pull my lard-but out of the water on double skis.

I'd love to hear some ideas for the 430. When I'm done with the truck, I'm definitely going to focus on the car.

Bobkon