LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Help with upgrades...

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-05, 07:00 PM
smooche
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with upgrades...

Hey guys

I just turned 16 in november of last year and for my first car i have a wonderfull 91 LS400. I love that car, every nut and bolt of it. SO i have been thinking about making some upgrades and i would like some help finding where i can get some of these things for not too much$ because im still only 16 lol so here is what i have so far

-clear corner/blinker lights with chromed over amber bulbs
- cross drilled/slotted rotors and all new calipers soon to be painted
- new headlight bulbs (silver star i believe) and some hyper white 4led 168bulbs for the parking lights
- refurbished power steering pump of a 91 with only 15k on it
- i had the rims sand blasted, repainted and what not because the had a chemical reaction with the counterweights the local tire shop used to they left bubbles and other bad stuff lol

Problems that im having wit hmy LS
-CC LCD is out..i think its only the bulbs behind the clock because the LCD #'s still show but its dark
-neither of my cigarette lighters work which is bad if i wanna plug in my cell phone ccharger or my MP3
-my dome light wont work on the DOOR setting, checked the bulb and its fine and all the contacts for the door when its closed. nothing is sticking it just wont work on it. It works on the ON setting but not on DOOR
- 1 rust spot on the RLfender...the previous owner hit a deer i guess and it caused something to happen where moisture got in.

MY plans...
- so this summer while gone for the baseball world series (we won the 15 year old division my friend TPed my house with 10 boxes of 20 rolsl a piece....yeah talk about a mess so his family owns a body shop and hes going to fix my rust spot and all the dings and dents and give it all a brand new paintjob with 4 clearcoats i think...all for free, he owes me
-rims and tires willbe bought soon...looking at 19's maybe...alot of potholes around here tho

What im looking for...
-lowering springs for a 1.5-2inch drop...not to expensive tho
-r/w/r read tail lights...have seen for 250! ahhhhhhh lol
- intake of some sort, i know i can get a cone for like 15 bucks but i want to take out the 15pounds of worthless plastic crap and get something nice for the 8. ive seen pics of a whole setup i just dont know where to find them
-and exhaust, i dont want a ****ing ricer muffler to sound like all the kids with civics at my school blahhhh...i want the v8 to be heard
- i rear left door nakamichi speaker...i think i blew mine out and i dont know where to find any offline

if any of u guys could help me out id really appretiate it. i admire all you guys and what you have done to your cars...they amaze me. im really into cars and so is my dad, he prise and joy is his fully restored 1972 olds 442...what an amazing car

thanx guys.....a young lexus lover, chris
Old 01-28-05, 11:38 PM
EXE.UCF10
VIP|EXEstyle セルシオ

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

If you're sure it's the bulbs on the climate control LCD and if you're up for it, you could try a DIY fix by following the instructions on Earl!'s site:

http://www.lexls.com/climatebacklighting.html

You can get a set of Eibach Pro lowering springs(lowers approximately 1.5") for $260 or a set of Tanabe springs for $270 (lowers approximately 1.8") at TM Engineering.

Red/Clear tails for $180:

matrixracing.com
or
autodynamic.com

Injen intake for $224-232:

adventon.com

As for exhausts, I would suggest something along the lines of Magnaflow, Lsportline, Blitz, etc. Due to our V8's, most exhausts won't give you that ricer-ish fart can tone, but more of a deep rumble or drone.

For a replacement Nak speaker, you could try your local junkyard (or online salvage stores). Or you could go with an aftermarket speaker (it'll sound just as good if not better)...just make sure to get a 4" speaker that runs on 4ohms.