LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

2JZ-GTE now sit nicely in my engine bay.

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-08, 02:07 AM
ZIP
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
supposedly you can also use jzs167 vvti 2jz mounts as well, which makes sense since the 2GS body houses both 1uz and 2jz motors in the same mount locations

good info regardless
I tried the mounting brackets from a 2nd gen JZS160. It didn't line up right. Not sure if the JZS161 (turbo) is different. Anyway, it'd be a pain to source it stateside I would think 'coz it was never released in that market. Regardless, if you are going with the more plentiful JZS147 2JZ-GTE, its simple to swap left to right.. something I dont think anyone would really think of doing
Old 04-14-08, 10:35 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by ZIP
I tried the mounting brackets from a 2nd gen JZS160. It didn't line up right. Not sure if the JZS161 (turbo) is different. Anyway, it'd be a pain to source it stateside I would think 'coz it was never released in that market. Regardless, if you are going with the more plentiful JZS147 2JZ-GTE, its simple to swap left to right.. something I dont think anyone would really think of doing
hmm, maybe its because there is a slight difference in mounting points for the early and later 1uz? or due to the difference in sump location....
Old 04-14-08, 04:34 PM
Dereke
Rookie

something is wrong with this picture...

the calculation for horsepower is based on tq. the paths always cross at 5200 rpm. i dont understand how this graph can be accurate.

**edit maybe its cause its in Nm instead of lb/ft

Last edited by Dereke; 04-14-08 at 04:38 PM.
Old 04-15-08, 09:17 AM
drewd
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dereke
something is wrong with this picture...

the calculation for horsepower is based on tq. the paths always cross at 5200 rpm. i dont understand how this graph can be accurate.

**edit maybe its cause its in Nm instead of lb/ft
You're exactly right - 1 ft-lb = .737 Nm, so a little eyeballing of the graph puts the crossing point of the lines at around 5200 RPM. Kind of interesting that the torque is measured in Nm but the power is in HP instead of KW.
Old 04-15-08, 03:35 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

well the OP is in thailand...
Old 11-13-08, 02:20 PM
DEDrifter
Driver School Candidate

not to bring back a dead thread but ,any new news??
Old 11-13-08, 07:36 PM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

go west:
Last Activity: 06-28-08 06:32 AM
Old 04-01-10, 05:22 PM
ZIP
Driver School Candidate

Default 2jz-gte ls400 12.9@116

Thought I'd unbury this thread and post a Youtube link of the 2JZ swapped LS400 we did a couple years ago. Still going strong and hella fast

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NxR44p-EYMI
Old 04-01-10, 07:15 PM
LiCelsior
Retired

that is nicee.
Old 04-10-10, 09:16 PM
ZIP
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by LiCelsior
that is nicee.
Thanks! Just got nicer... Trans overhaul and valvebody/shift kit from IPT shaved 7 tenths from the E.T. New best time for the 2JZ LS is 12.26@118MPH

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KhFqk2IdJU
Old 04-10-10, 09:20 PM
LiCelsior
Retired

nice numbers on teh strip there.
Old 05-28-10, 08:06 PM
KevinE.
Driver School Candidate

can i get some help in order to start the swap? which 2jz should i use, and do you think its ok to use a regular 5 speed 2jz or would it be more worthwhile to try and get a twin turboed one?
Old 05-29-10, 07:35 AM
Thermactor
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ZIP
Thanks! Just got nicer... Trans overhaul and valvebody/shift kit from IPT shaved 7 tenths from the E.T. New best time for the 2JZ LS is 12.26@118MPH

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KhFqk2IdJU
That's more amazing than anything else.
The A340 series transmissions are just dreadful. They just SUCK UP so much power in stock form.
Old 05-31-12, 08:19 PM
AGD3000
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ZIP
My El-Cheapo approach in case anyone is interested.
Swapped a 2JZ-GTE and auto trans. from a JZS147 Aristo into a 1993 LS400. Switch original aluminum engine mount brackets from left to right and right to left.This gets them pretty darn close to where they need to be(Fore/Aft). Utilised 2005 LS430 engine mounts (rubber mount). These mounts work well because the bottom stud and upper stud are off-set. They can be rotated like an eccentric to get you left/right alignment. Use the original LS400 trans mount bolted to the 2JZ's transmission. Use the LS400 output/ tailshaft flange on 2JZ transmission... this allows for use of the factory LS400 driveshaft without any modification. The engine sits a little high in the compartment, but hood still closes with only the slightest touching of the throttle body to the hood insulation.
Was actually able to use Aristo fuel line and power steering pressure hose.
Radiator is original LS400. Upper and lower radiator hoses were cut and joined to get proper fitment although upper hose fits tightly against throttle body i/c piping. Low profile Flex-a-lite dual electric cooling fans were mated to the factory fan wiring. Yes, you still need to purchase a Supra water pump and do the wire harness extension (which was prolly the most tedious part of this conversion )
I also went with a 4:10 final drive. Pulled the gears from an '07 IS350(no they don't come LSD)and tossed them into the original case...
If anyone else wants to do this conversion, I am willing to provide any info you may need.
Sorry to bump a very old thread.

So for the 2jz swap into a LS400, we can use the original JZS147 2jz-gte mounting brackets but switched over?

What about the original engine rubber mounts from the JZS147?
Old 12-01-12, 08:00 AM
LSLS
Driver School Candidate

Hi there..new kid on these blog.. Ok i have LS400 '91.. I have kept this car very well maintain with its original parts but recently mine broke down again and seems that it is giving me problem repeatly nowadays, i guesed its time for me do interchange for the engine..to maintain this engine is very costly plus for few parts when broken down sometimes will take up to a month or two just to wait for the parts to reach me..and even some i bought from ebay with a very good price but end up missing in the space i guessed..ok cut the chased to make things simpler change the engine but my biggest question is which is better engine?
1) 2jz or 2jz with VVTI..
2). The VVTI model is a bit pain in the ***. for the parts...learn my lesson from this oringinal 1UZ..tried to quote for the 2UZ mod and 'walla' just bolt in without any mod but for parts wise again 'pain in the **' n costly
3) shud i go for just the engine o the whole half cut from the salvage shop...noticed few people here in this thread are still using the same original components..but asked few mechanic n told to change d whole thing as with buying only engine+gbox+computer will probely causes some mulfunction o even the factory equip components might not work properly o doesnt work at all and thats why was told to throw the whole original thing in the engine bay and put in new engine with it accessories plus easier to maintain for parts wise
So i hope that someone can help me wity this as this car has been out of commission for more than 6 months as it was spoiled by one of the shop here n wanting to sue them but will take so long to process n complete.. First sent to a shop for repair then the shop broke my tilted auto streering...then the rear massage seat when i sent it for repair n now after two years the worst..the shop i sent test n drove my car like hell as they nvr had a chance to drove V8 saloon before then i took the key from them but seem d engine n gbow leaks as it was farced to past d limits..i dare to do that bcos i know its my car n cost for reparing is crazy high plus have to wait for some occasions for parts..things going as plan untill they jump start my car using cable jumper and it impacted the computer..diagnosed by toyota UMW and was told my computer burned out bcos of that(voltage exceed the max volt)..btw i tow my car after being paint at the shop as the car wouldnt start and broke the front bumper bcos of d towing..with d newly fresh paint n didnt even get to drive it as the computer was burned bcos of them..so didnt want to pay d shop but they took my key n thou had a spare key d car was pushed to d most front of the shop with more than 5 other customer cars behind..they forced me to pay b4 taking d car but i negelect n at last pursue to poloce station and car was out..

So please some advice for the three item i'm a bit confused..

Thnx guys....

Quick Reply: 2JZ-GTE now sit nicely in my engine bay.