LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

OK Guys...need you opinion...NOT LS related and I'm rambling...

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-01, 04:34 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thought this is not LS related, I need the opinions of people who frequent this part of Club Lexus on a regular basis...this is mostly directed to the "homies" (Lou Le, Zushwa, and edogg) but anyone is welcome to comment.

As you guys know, I have been pulling my hair out trying to get a kit for my GS430. I have FINALLY found a RELIABLE importer so getting a Japanese kit isn't a problem anymore and I don't mind the two month "estimated" wait. Hell, I waited that long for my rims.

What came out of these multiple hair-pulling sessions is a list of my "basic requirements" in a body kit. Here's the list...

1) NO FAKE/KNOCK-OFF ****. This should be LAW for ANY part.
2) CLEAN overall styling...no "combat-look-at-my-Civic/GS" styling.
3) Clean "straight" sideskirts. No vents, "running boards", etc.
4) Clean rear bumper. No weird bulges, vents, etc.
5) Mostly straight down front bumper with a slight lip at the bottom.
6) Uses stock foglights.
7) Large open area for future intercooler

After much research, these are following kits that meet my 7 requirements....

1) RMM Kit
2) AutoCouture v2 kit
3) Wise Sports Kit
4) Factory Toyota add-on kit (the one Hiro imports)
5) Win Racing Kit
6) Prance Company Kit

The RMM kit and the AutoCouture v2 look very similar to each other...the advantage of the RMM kit is that it's Polyurathane, the advantage of the AutoCouture kit is that it's a well respected, high end, high quality Japanese kit. (not that the RMM kit isn't high quality!)

The Wise kit, after looking at it...a THOUSAND times, bugs me a little...the rear bumper has a "lip" that goes all around the bottom edge including the cutouts for the exhaust. I don't really like that (of course, I could have it taken out by the body shop). The front bumper is nice...on the very edge of being "too" aggressive...

The Win Racing kit is great but there are a LOT of knock-offs running around...I

The Factory Toyta kit is cool, but I've never like the slots between the foglights and the factory kit doesn't nothing to get rid of this (again, I could have the body shop remove this)

Prance Company Kit - dunno the status of the kit and I haven't seen it in person or even a reasonable pictures...just a artist's "rendering" of what it will look like...

SO....I think I'm down to the RMM kit (minus the grille...I think I'll do the factory Toyota grille that Hiro sells if I do any sort of grille change) or the AutoCouture v2 kit.

Now I saw (in the Gallery) another member's GS in Black with a RMM kit and I am REALLY liking it. I also really like the fact that the RMM kit is polyurathane (less likely to screw it up). Right now, I'm thinking RMM.

Does anyone oppose this decision? Please speak up and speak freely!

Here's a picture that I photoshop'd...I put my rims on it and put a Toyota Mesh Grille on it in place of the RMM one...
Attached Thumbnails OK Guys...need you opinion...NOT LS related and I'm rambling...-rmm-20body-20kit.jpg  

Last edited by Manaray; 05-31-01 at 04:59 AM.
Old 05-31-01, 06:15 AM
zushwa
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, for what it's worth, I think you've already made your decision. I like your work with Photoshop, it meets your qualifications, elegant and sporty. My only question about it, and maybe yours too, is how many people have them??? From your taste in cars, wheels, audio conponents (you have to fill me in on the deal you worked out!!) motorcycles, watches, and women you don't usually go for the norm, but something only few will recognize and even fewer would appreciate. Don't get me wrong, I think you have impeccable taste but if everyone had the RMM kit you probably wouldn't want it. You seem like you would rather have some obscure (albeit EXPENSIVE and tasteful) kit just to be the only one to have it. Maybe I'm full of ****, but you seem to be the kind of guy that if you walked into a club and you saw a guy with the same Armani coat on you'd be making a quick trip home. (not that that's ever happened to me!! )

That's my two cents worth. I hope you understand what I mean by this...I wouldn't want you to have any more trauma than you already have...GEEZ, I hope I can get ANY kit and you're sweating which kit to import for your brand new GS!!!

Check your PM, I want to ask you something.
Old 05-31-01, 08:56 AM
SQ-LS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Uhhm, uhmm (clearing my throat and popping my fingers).

OK, so now you need some opinions eh?!
Heres we go.
The RMM kit is nice, elegant, made of polyurathane, and is available without the two months S/H time, BUT it is also so readily available that it might be the norm now.
The Auto V2 kit is similar to the RMM kit but has more elegance from the name, but it isn't polyurathane and has a lead time of 2 months for S/H.
The Wise kit is f-ugly! It is alright without the lip! It looks like some kid took a black marker during drawing touch ups and traced a border on the kit around the whole car. F-ugly!
The Win kit is what you say Honda-ish. Don't Win make kits for Honda too?
The Toyo kit, never seen it but it seems like you got bad taste from it already.
Prance kit, again never seen it so no comment here.

I say go with the RMM kit for strength and immediate S/H. Your putting your own flavor on it by changing the grid with the Toyo kit so it is original in a sense.
My 2 cents.
Old 05-31-01, 03:49 PM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Zushwa - You right about everything except for the club...I usually don't go to clubs where suits are required...too stuffy I like Dickies and a t-shirt...but usually know the owner, promoter, security, etc. so my dress code is never an issue. I'm actually very low maintanance, I just have standards when it comes to certain things....I have no problem pulling up in my GS to a ****hole neighborhood to go to a good Taco Truck to have some $1 Tacos!

But I do like unique/obscure when it comes to many things...the AutoCouture kit is rather rare in the states and you're right about the RMM kit being everwhere...

Lou Le, The readily available part doesn't really bug me. Like I said, I can wait if need be.

So I guess it comes down to both kits looking good, but one is just more rare than the other and the other kit is more durable and less likely to get damaged. Ok, this has become a coin toss...

Here's a picture of both kits...I add a similiar grille to the AutoCouture kit to make it even...see what I mean by "similiar" styling?
Attached Thumbnails OK Guys...need you opinion...NOT LS related and I'm rambling...-kits.jpg  

Last edited by Manaray; 05-31-01 at 04:02 PM.
Old 05-31-01, 04:03 PM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Now is it just me or does the RMM kit stand out more as far as looking different from stock?
Old 05-31-01, 04:29 PM
SQ-LS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by manaray
Now is it just me or does the RMM kit stand out more as far as looking different from stock?
The RMM has a bigger front slit for the future intercooler that goes along with the future TURBO!!!!
Old 05-31-01, 07:33 PM
LOTC
VIP 様式

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RMM!

RMM it is Manaray i like it, i want to give you a reason, but my body is banged up and hurting right now. Also i got a favor to ask you can you find out how much your importer can get the Wald V3 kit for 1st Gen. LS 400, i like would like the front bumper with the foglights and the side skirts, i know you like the other ones better, but i think it just looks weird because the LS with the V3 is not two toned,but all white.since i am typing so much here is the reason,RMM one of your favorite looks,not such a long wait and why wait 2 months for something almost the same, and polyurethane is stronger than fiberglass.
Old 05-31-01, 11:51 PM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

edogg - why the hell is your body banged up? Did you talk smack to your woman? Did she regulate? Seriously, what happen?

I've already asked my importer to get me a price on the Wald V1, V2, and V3 kits for the UCF10 LS400 along with the Exclusive kits for the LS (all years). I look out for the homies!

I'm going to sleep on it for a couple of weeks before I decide...but it's definitely between these two. Right now, I'm leaning towards the RMM kit because it looks a tad bit more aggressive and not so "stock-like" like the AutoCouture kit and the fact that it's polyurathane.

If I do get the AutoCouture kit, I may just get two front bumpers because if I break one really bad, I don't want to have to wait 2 months to get another one since it'll look dumb to have a stock front bumper with lower side skirts and a back bumpers (plus that takes me out of the show circuit for 2 months)

I also recently developed a contact with someone who can make polyurathane parts...he doesn't make body kits for cars (he makes large industrial related stuff) but he said it wouldn't be any different...I just may decide to make my own stuff...

If the GS kit goes well, I'll expand to include the LS and SC kits...I think a kit similiar to the RMM/AutoCouture GS kit would look good on the LS.
Old 05-31-01, 11:57 PM
zushwa
Lead Lap

The anology about the coat was just for a point. Sorry for the misjudgement of character. That happened to me at this club in Chicago, definitely not the norm for clubs around VA Beach!!!

Anyways, the kits are very similar. Does the rear bumper look the same??? It seems like the GS forum is always concerned with the bumper matching the exhaust, or vice versa. They both look outstanding!!

I guess if the qualities of durability and availability (I know you're willing to wait) outweigh the exclusiveness then RMM it is.
Old 06-01-01, 10:15 PM
LOTC
VIP 様式

Thanks for asking about the Wald kits Manaray!!Oh yeah those three girlies will be disicplined and will be shown again whose on top of the pecking order, heh thinking it's funny to give me kindey blast and a mean A$$ charlie horse when i am half asleep, well i guess it was their turn to regulate, i kinda knew i had it coming after the all the punking and talking smack i did to them.
they thought it was pretty funny elbow dropping my leg three or four times while i was pinned down.

Last edited by LOTC; 06-01-01 at 10:27 PM.
Old 06-03-01, 11:12 PM
LOTC
VIP 様式

Default premium wide from JP!

Dam manaray last night i broswed thru the Juntion Produce site and saw this kit

http://www.junction-produce.co.jp/htm/37/P_aero.htm

dam i love this one, especially that front lip action.if it is not to late manaray, can you ask the importer about this kit, it is the premium wide body from JP not the regular kit that they have,but it looks pretty expensive and this has thrown a wrench it my decision,but by looking at the price i would only get the front bumper,sides,and eyebrows. i will look for the rear from other some company, but for sure i am down to my final two kits, Wald V3 or the Junction produce Premium wide body.

So manaray if it is not asking to much please ask about this premium wide body from JP for me.ask for the front,sides,rear,eyebrows,and the foglights. Thanks
Old 06-04-01, 12:59 AM
zushwa
Lead Lap

Damn edogg, I think that can be considered a fashion statement!!!

Maybe for an extra few Yen they'll throw in that cool hood ornament..

I'm just giving you a hard time. You definitely like those combat style body kits...that's cool..to each his own..you'll probably be the ONLY one around with it!!

Hey Manaray, I was looking in a mag and saw a Veilside K-1 kit for the GS400. What do you think about it??? I didn't see it in your "short list" so I can guess it's already been eliminated..but I think it looks OK...I don't know about the "knock off" factor...
Old 06-05-01, 03:27 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Veilside? Hehehe...they are INVENTORS of the "combat" kits! It's their kits that started the whole "combat" craze! DEFINITELY O.G. but not my style.

I'm still debating between the AutoCouture and RMM kit...right now, the only think that's keeping me on the AutoCouture kit is that it's an AutoCouture kit and it's not common...but I really don't want to be a "label *****" as the RMM kit and the AC kit look so similiar, Aesthetically, it would be a draw...and both kits are well made...the RMM having the plus of being Polyurathane...

So here we have it...

AutoCouture (Pro) - Name & Rarity
AutoCouture (Con) - Fiberglass & Wait (but not a big issue)

RMM (Pro) - Urathane
RMM (Con) - Common & Foglight Distance (but not a big issue in Black)

Oh, the torturous decisions I face!
Old 06-05-01, 08:21 PM
LOTC
VIP 様式

Default i agree

veilside does not provide the right look for Lexus car's,far to agressive unless you have a IS.