LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

To those who have the LS430....

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-01, 10:39 PM
gsnav
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was wondering how you think of it so far that you have had it? Also, since my parents are prolly going to get an Millenium Silver LS430 w/ the Ultra package. Just wondreing if there are any quirks some of you don't like about the LS? Thanks

GsNav@clublexus.com
Old 06-02-01, 07:45 AM
Speeden71

Thumbs up

I have had my Millennium Silver LS430 since April 7. I absolutely love driving it. I got standard suspension with 17" wheels, L1 package(Levinsen stereo, moon roof, and heated seats). Ultra lux was beyond my dollar limit. I have about 2200 miles on it.

Items of note:
1) 17" wheels look great but you do get more road feel. Had slight tendency to drift left on straight level interstate. Was corrected at 1000 mile checkup. They flipped tire on front left rim and rebalanced. Also noticed very slight shimmy at highway speed when tires cold first thing in the morning. After a few miles, smooth ride. Does not occur now that summer is upon us.

2) Intermittent problem where trunk lid does not spring up enough to disengage latch when using remote trunk release. Dealer said that trunk latch mechanism will need to be replaced. This apparently is a design issue and new mechanism corrects this. They have ordered the part but I have not been informed that they received it yet(probably will have it replaced at next regular service).

Had several dealer programmable settings changed at 1000 mile service. Lexus refers to these as C-best settings(whatever that means)

- Changed auto door lock setting to lock when speed >12MPG instead of default when gear shift taken out of park.
- Changed auto door unlock setting to unlock all doors when gear shift put into park.
- Wanted to change headlight turnoff delay to 15 seconds instead of the default 30 seconds but they said 30 seconds was the least delay available and the next best was no delay. I elected to leave this setting as is.
- Had night time headlight auto on sensitivity adjusted to be more sensitive so headlights would turn on sooner at dusk. I think this still requires another adjustment because it seems like it has to get almost dark before headlights come on. Since the car does have daytime running lights, this is not a big deal.

Stereo system is great. Wish I could turn up bass more on some songs.

Have not taken a long trip yet. Most driving to date is mix of in town and back roads and am seeing 19-21 MPG. Lexus specifies 91 octane so you have to use premium gas. Not too bad in Georgia where premium is about $1.65.

Took me quite a while to find the right combination of seat settings to be comfortable. They are now, of course, saved in memory. I would like it if head rest could go a little lower but that is because I am short(5'5")

I did put a bull blown Zaino wax system on. Claybar, etc. and 2 coats. It is a lot of work but it is worth it. The wax really seems to last and last.

Be real careful when turning near curbs and make sure you are clear. On a regular car you usually would only scuff the tire wall. With these 17" wheels, the rims are closer to the ground and can be scraped very easily if you brush a curb. I know from first hand experience.

Like I said at the beginning, I love this car. It is the first luxury car I have owned. So quiet and smooth. So much more for your money than Mercedes. Plus in my case, Lexus treated me well whereas two different Mercedes dealers treated me poorly(were snobby). I guess because I drove up in a Saturn they figured I didn't have any money. Their loss.

Hope this helps you out.

Old 06-02-01, 11:02 AM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Speed,

thanks for the excellent and informative inputs. my dad is also considering the LS430(he sold his 98ls4 last year). the only thing that holds him back is the price. though ls430, as you said, represents tremendous value for the car, we would like to get a bit more discount.

i am already looking at some subtle, body enhancements for the car.
Old 06-03-01, 11:07 AM
DROD2045
Lead Lap

LS is a great car. just a question, have you looked at the A8, Q45, S Class? Anyone wanna buy me an LS?
Old 06-28-01, 04:14 PM
1sickls430
Driver School Candidate

Cool

i have an ls430 w/ultra lux package and 18 lsportline wheels with dunlop sp 9000 on it.Not one complaint yet rides like a plane really fast good accelration.Wish that speed limiter wasnt set to 131 cause i wanna go faster.I have gottn many compliments and many stares from beautiful ladies.I reccomend u do get it cause its one heck of a car.Worth 73,000 that i spent.
Old 06-28-01, 04:38 PM
LOTC
VIP 様式

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

1sickls430,man you have the LS430 with the ultra lux.man i envy you!!!

I can not wait to find a used one in a few years,new is out of may range right now.
Old 07-04-01, 05:13 PM
ST430
Pole Position

Received 120 Likes on 67 Posts

I have had my LS430 for around 3 weeks now, with ~1100 miles on it. Here are some comments concerning the vehicle:

Positives:

- Awesome quality all around. Astonishing attention to detail with meticulous execution

- Quiet and roomier than I ever expected! My buddies and I love club and bar hopping in it!

- Much sportier (subjective i know) than I had imagined, especially since i have the Sport suspension. Once I rectify my H&R spring situation and get some nice dubs, it'll look so much better.

- Outstanding sound system. Mark Levinson is by far the premier OEM system now. The bass is more centric to mid vocals then boominess though

- Quite a bargain, although this make affect later market value (I bought it for ~6k under MSRP). Didn't understand why this was the case already, albeit the Luxury package has hardly leeway going.

Negatives:

- Negative snobby connotations associated with such a class of vehicle (I am mid 20's only and get bad looks and stares from Bimmer owners and elder folks all the time)

- Not much in the form of aftermarket support (I know, its brand new), but L Sportline, Wald, and others are on the way! But they're $$$$$!

- It's a huge car! Makes parking a little bit of a chore to avoid dings and such. You can also feel the 2 ton heft of it at times, but still pretty nimble for a car of its size and caliber.

- Can't figure out most of the controls on the darn vehicle. Yes, I've rtfm, but dang, so many gadgets to play and get accustomed too

Cars I considered against:

- GS430: Very sporty with great handling, but too quirky styling for me, and backseat accomodations did not meet my requirements.

- IS300: Ecentric styling with a nice sporty ride, but too rice-ish for me (no offense).

- SC430: That's called a back seat?!! Otherwise, I would have foregone my requirements for seating for 5 comfortably

- 540i: Manual tranny is nice, and has nice pickup, but is smaller than a Camry interior wise, costs much $$$, and has an outdated spartan interior.

- 330i / M3 : If I could get the exact color and options, the E46 ///M3 would be in my garage now, but it's not readily available and on top of it is going for roughly $15k over MSRP now!! Oh well...

- S430: Very nice and sexy styling, but the $$$, options, and interior aura did not turn me on. Personally, if I could afford this or the S500, i'd forgoe both and get the CL55 AMG (just beautiful!).

- E430: Very pricey, stodgey styling, and handling equivalent to that of a souped up Lincoln. I know I'm buying a car catered to an older demographic, but I don't want to feel like it

Originally posted by gsnav
I was wondering how you think of it so far that you have had it? Also, since my parents are prolly going to get an Millenium Silver LS430 w/ the Ultra package. Just wondreing if there are any quirks some of you don't like about the LS? Thanks

GsNav@clublexus.com
Old 07-04-01, 05:16 PM
LOTC
VIP 様式

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey you guys is the LS430's interior that much better than the 98-00 LS400's?
Old 07-04-01, 11:16 PM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ST,

welcome and congrats.

i am like you-young dude(early 30s)who like big, luxury cars. three of the four negatives i actually interpret them as positives. only the one about lack of after market items is a minor cons. give it some time, this is just the first year.

william
Old 07-05-01, 12:16 AM
tek619

edogg,
the ultra luxury LS430 seats have the climate control front seats, Imagine having A/C in your seat. They can be adjusted to 14 positions including dual lumbar support and adjustable seat cushion length.
The adjustable, vibrating rear seats are very plush. The Semi-aniline leather is just awesome. I think the SC430 leather is still softer than this one.
Old 07-05-01, 09:36 AM
ST430
Pole Position

In addition to what tek619 said and for clarification, the Ultra Luxury package has:

- Unique Ecru or Bordeaux wood trim (which I would have taken easily over the standard GOlden Bird's if it were an option)

- Unique perforated (with Aniline as an option) leather. I think these definitely make the interior more sports oriented

- Integrated fan unit inside the front seats (a la CL Class)

I haven't had much time in any LS400, so can not directly compare the two. I will just state that driving in the vehicle, seems like cruising one big comfortable couch most of the time. If I could wheel and deal on the Ultra Luxury package, I would get it just to get those rear reclining and massaging seats (oooh baby! , forget all the other gimmicky things! THe only comment i have on the LS430 vs. previous gen LS's, is the fact the interior climate seems a lot more intimate and inviting than ever before. I cannot specifcally ascertain why, so you'll have to see for yourself...

Originally posted by tek619
edogg,
the ultra luxury LS430 seats have the climate control front seats, Imagine having A/C in your seat. They can be adjusted to 14 positions including dual lumbar support and adjustable seat cushion length.
The adjustable, vibrating rear seats are very plush. The Semi-aniline leather is just awesome. I think the SC430 leather is still softer than this one.
Old 07-05-01, 09:42 AM
ST430
Pole Position

hi william,

thanks...i am very concerned about the aftermarket support of the vehicle from such names as L-Tuned (TRD), Swift Racing Tech (SRT), and Rod MIllen as I know they cater to the GS crowd more (understandable since it's a demographic more prone to modification) than the LS's. My only hope is in domestic JDM support for the Celsior and prey it doesn't cost an arm and leg in yen conversions and shipping costs!

About the "young dude" attitude, I've gotten so much hate (I believe most associate me as a drug dealer...lol) that it's getting out of hand. I lowered the vehicle so it won't look like I'm borrowing it from my grandpa, but now it looks so gangsterish, which is perfectly fine with me but doesn't fit with society's association with the car...oh well

Originally posted by gs4will
ST,

welcome and congrats.

i am like you-young dude(early 30s)who like big, luxury cars. three of the four negatives i actually interpret them as positives. only the one about lack of after market items is a minor cons. give it some time, this is just the first year.

william
Old 07-05-01, 02:47 PM
Stephen
Pole Position

Well I almost got the LS430, but at the last minute my office came through with the car deal so I kept my LS400. To me, the two vehicles drive almost identically. I do like the LS430's interior better, but I like the LS400's exterior. I logged a lot of miles in a few LS430's testing them out and was very impressed. In 2003 when I trade I hope the 430 has a facelift, thats what I'll probably get.
Old 07-06-01, 10:14 AM
ST430
Pole Position

Welp, it's pretty much stock now, but I hope it to look like the following someday:

Originally posted by 1SICKLEX
ST430 any pics, sounds good so far.

Dahm the haters, let them watch u roll in envy!
Old 07-08-01, 06:37 AM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by ST430
Welp, it's pretty much stock now, but I hope it to look like the following someday:

ST430, love the photos, that is one beautiful car. I have the 2001 GS430, but I love the front styling of the LS430. Breathtaking and to heck with the haters, they are just jealous of a young successful guy. Lexus V8s are incredible masterpieces!

Quick Reply: To those who have the LS430....