LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Getting really sick of the LS

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-05, 11:14 AM
LeXuSrAcIn
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Getting really sick of the LS

I've always had all kinds of costly problems with the LS. I bought the car years back with 50k on the clock and the problems just keep coming. I've spent thousands and thousands of dollars on this car which IMO isnt even worth it anymore. The LS now has some 102k miles. The newest problem is the a/c. It is the one problem that annoys me the most. I've seen other people have had this problem but they havent posted a solution. My ac blows hot air in all vents but one. I have gotten the car recharged with freon and they found no leaks. Out of my other vents there seems to be the black foam insulation coming out. Could it be that I am getting hot air from outside because the insulation is gone? The ac works decent when its cool outside. I'm pretty sure its not the compressor because I get cold air in ONE vent. Any ideas??
Old 05-11-05, 04:53 PM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

If its cold at one vent, you have a vacuum leak.
Old 05-11-05, 06:17 PM
LeXuSrAcIn
Lexus Test Driver

Hmm, maybe. I ran the diagnostic test and it says everythings normal. Has to be either a leak somewhere in the system or a leak from the outside air.
Old 05-12-05, 05:10 AM
lino
Rookie

Originally Posted by LeXuSrAcIn
I've always had all kinds of costly problems with the LS. I bought the car years back with 50k on the clock and the problems just keep coming. I've spent thousands and thousands of dollars on this car which IMO isnt even worth it anymore. The LS now has some 102k miles. The newest problem is the a/c. It is the one problem that annoys me the most. I've seen other people have had this problem but they havent posted a solution. My ac blows hot air in all vents but one. I have gotten the car recharged with freon and they found no leaks. Out of my other vents there seems to be the black foam insulation coming out. Could it be that I am getting hot air from outside because the insulation is gone? The ac works decent when its cool outside. I'm pretty sure its not the compressor because I get cold air in ONE vent. Any ideas??

This is the first time I hear a Lexus owner, and LS owner, complain about spending thousands and thousands of dollars in repairs . I have been living that life for a long time with my German cars and then bought a Legend which was my first Japanese car to see the difference. The Legend treated very well. Now I'm searching for an LS thinking that it's the most reliable car on the planet in it's category. I wonder if you ended up with a sour apple considering the car you have has low mileage.
Old 05-12-05, 09:34 AM
LeXuSrAcIn
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by lino
This is the first time I hear a Lexus owner, and LS owner, complain about spending thousands and thousands of dollars in repairs . I have been living that life for a long time with my German cars and then bought a Legend which was my first Japanese car to see the difference. The Legend treated very well. Now I'm searching for an LS thinking that it's the most reliable car on the planet in it's category. I wonder if you ended up with a sour apple considering the car you have has low mileage.

I think I do have a lemon. I am almost positive I have spent more on my car than any LS owner here with the same amount of miles anyways. The LS was my first Lexus. It would really **** me off when people would say oh Lexus is so reliable, and I'd have something new breaking every month. I still thought to myself I'll give Lexus ONE last try... and I got a 95 SC300 last year with 220k miles! A year later, it has some 240k and is running like a beast. The amazing thing is how fast it still is with all the miles and a couple of mods. I say go for the LS, just hope you get lucky.