LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

New Q45. Anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-01, 11:28 AM
T66Supra

A couple of things, I'm not sure about the Consumer Reports thing but the LS series has been the best car ever in reliability many years according to JD Powers and Associates.

Also the whole pre-production/production 0 to 60 times is BS. Wait till magazines test a production model, I bet it won't get anywhere near 5.9seconds 0 to 60. I drove a production Q45 and there's no way it cad do 0 to 60 in that time.

Originally posted by DROD2045
it was actually Road and Track that picked the Q over the LS, not MT. And the S won the MT compariosn but about the 0-60 time. The Q tested was a pre production model. Infiniti said that the 5.9 second claim is true and that they stand behind it. A person from Freshalloy.com CLAIMED to testing the Q and in fact did get 5.9 seconds (he said he even got 5.8) but I still want to see it from the mags. Fact is that we have to wait for a production Q to be tested. Although I did say that nothing is built like a Lexus doesnt mean that the Q is not reliable. Infiniti is 3rd in reliablility rankings so they are too built very solidly. The G20 is the most reliable vehicle EVER according to reports of Consumer........ Reports. (I guess thats why they call it COnsumer Reports)

Old 07-11-01, 12:51 PM
DROD2045
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by T66Supra
A couple of things, I'm not sure about the Consumer Reports thing but the LS series has been the best car ever in reliability many years according to JD Powers and Associates.

Also the whole pre-production/production 0 to 60 times is BS. Wait till magazines test a production model, I bet it won't get anywhere near 5.9seconds 0 to 60. I drove a production Q45 and there's no way it cad do 0 to 60 in that time.

Some people that have driven it say it doesnt feel like it can do that either but some say it feels like a rocket. Production tests is what were just going to have to wait for. And if 5.9 seconds isnt achieved by a mag or by anyone, than Infiniti/Nissan will be taken to court for false advertising but that hasnt happened yet so it must have been achieved.
Old 07-11-01, 01:30 PM
SQ-LS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Some people that have driven it say it doesnt feel like it can do that either but some say it feels like a rocket. Production tests is what were just going to have to wait for. And if 5.9 seconds isnt achieved by a mag or by anyone, than Infiniti/Nissan will be taken to court for false advertising but that hasnt happened yet so it must have been achieved.
Or they never tried.
Old 07-11-01, 02:24 PM
T66Supra

No they won't be taken to court because Infiniti will throw out some BS saying how the test conditions are different, or they will supply a "ringer" of their own and say "see OUR car can do it in 5.9 seconds". I drove the car, it won't do 0 to 60 anywhere near 5.9 seconds.

Old 07-11-01, 09:36 PM
DROD2045
Lead Lap

No they won't be taken to court because Infiniti will throw out some BS saying how the test conditions are different, or they will supply a "ringer" of their own and say "see OUR car can do it in 5.9 seconds". I drove the car, it won't do 0 to 60 anywhere near 5.9 seconds.

Another person who drove (actually owns the Q and this person is also on FA) raced his friends LS and said he beat him very easily. In court, BTW, things arent worked out that easily, its not like talking to a baby. Ive read on some ohter boards that Lexus 'preps' their cars before mags test them. I guess we dont know about that either.
Old 07-12-01, 01:09 AM
Stephen
Pole Position

No Lou, Motor Twit and I arent friends Personally I think all car magazines are biased and useless as purchasing tools, but I buy em for the pretty pictures.

Thats what I always find so interesting about magazine numbers Drod, they're all so different. Wasnt the S Class they had an S430? If so, no way it was the fastest in reality. I've seen all these cars run independant times (save the A8, Supercharged Jag and the Q45) and the S430 is a good bit slower than the LS430.

I drove the Q45 and the LS430 back to back a whole bumnch of times, my LS400 seems to have more grunt than either, but the LS430 feels faster. The Q has a bulky and slow throttle response that no doubt screws up its times. The power is there, Nissan just doesnt know how to get it to the road.
Old 07-12-01, 06:13 AM
DROD2045
Lead Lap

Originally posted by Stephen
No Lou, Motor Twit and I arent friends Personally I think all car magazines are biased and useless as purchasing tools, but I buy em for the pretty pictures.

Thats what I always find so interesting about magazine numbers Drod, they're all so different. Wasnt the S Class they had an S430? If so, no way it was the fastest in reality. I've seen all these cars run independant times (save the A8, Supercharged Jag and the Q45) and the S430 is a good bit slower than the LS430.

I drove the Q45 and the LS430 back to back a whole bumnch of times, my LS400 seems to have more grunt than either, but the LS430 feels faster. The Q has a bulky and slow throttle response that no doubt screws up its times. The power is there, Nissan just doesnt know how to get it to the road.
I think what MT said was that the S430 felt the fastest, but it was actually the slowest car of the bunch (to 60 anyways). Nissan makes unbelievable engines but they cant get it to the ground as well as others for some reason. The Sc430 weights about 3800lbs (a little over) with 300hp and does 0-60 in 5.9 seconds (has a mag tested its 0-60) and the Q has 340hp and weighs 3801lbs (from nissannews.com) and does 0-60 in 5.9 seconds (hopefully this will be done on a production model). Could be the gearing of the Q but I dont think thats the major problem. I just dont think Nissan gets enough to the wheels.
Old 07-12-01, 09:05 AM
T66Supra

Yeah sure How convenient. An uncle's neighbor's best friend's cousin's fiance with a Q45 said that he raced his roommate's mother's hairdreser's sister in law's best friend's husband's LS430 and the LS430 beat it easily as it did in BOTH magazines. This same uncle's neighbor's best friend's cousin's fiance said the Q45 didn't feel like it ran 0 to 60 in 5.9 seconds...

As far as exus or toyota "prepping" their cars, Toyota/Lexus cars always seem to perform better in real life than in magazines. They are also very conservative in their ratings. Usually cars are half a second quicker than they claim. The only people making this BS up are the people on Infiniti boards, etc. Nice try....

Another person who drove (actually owns the Q and this person is also on FA) raced his friends LS and said he beat him very easily. In court, BTW, things arent worked out that easily, its not like talking to a baby. Ive read on some ohter boards that Lexus 'preps' their cars before mags test them. I guess we dont know about that either.

Old 07-12-01, 09:10 AM
T66Supra

Nissan doesn't get enough to the wheels because its not making 340 HP at the crank. There's no science to it or magical trannies out there. I also found out from a friend of mine at the Nissan proving grounds that they tested a Sentra SER V-spec (or spec V) 6speed and they got ~140 HP at the wheels. This is roughly 165 HP at the crank, not 180. My friend's Celica GTS dynoed 157 HP at the wheels. that's roughly 185 HP at the crank and the car is rated at the same 180 HP.

I think what MT said was that the S430 felt the fastest, but it was actually the slowest car of the bunch (to 60 anyways). Nissan makes unbelievable engines but they cant get it to the ground as well as others for some reason. The Sc430 weights about 3800lbs (a little over) with 300hp and does 0-60 in 5.9 seconds (has a mag tested its 0-60) and the Q has 340hp and weighs 3801lbs (from nissannews.com) and does 0-60 in 5.9 seconds (hopefully this will be done on a production model). Could be the gearing of the Q but I dont think thats the major problem. I just dont think Nissan gets enough to the wheels.

Old 07-12-01, 11:11 AM
DROD2045
Lead Lap

Yeah sure How convenient. An uncle's neighbor's best friend's cousin's fiance with a Q45 said that he raced his roommate's mother's hairdreser's sister in law's best friend's husband's LS430 and the LS430 beat it easily as it did in BOTH magazines. This same uncle's neighbor's best friend's cousin's fiance said the Q45 didn't feel like it ran 0 to 60 in 5.9 seconds...

As far as exus or toyota "prepping" their cars, Toyota/Lexus cars always seem to perform better in real life than in magazines. They are also very conservative in their ratings. Usually cars are half a second quicker than they claim. The only people making this BS up are the people on Infiniti boards, etc. Nice try....

If you want to read BS, reread your own post. I didnt say I knew this person or even if its true, Im just saying what I read. BOTH magazine the LS won 0-60 because BOTH times the Q was a pre production model. "Toyota/Lexus cars always seem to perform better in real life than in magazines." Im sure youve done tests too (BS). "Usually cars are half a second quicker than they claim." I can make claims too, at least i say they are claims of other people and do not pass it as fact. The LS has yet to get Lexus' estimated time of 6.2 seconds. You make a half second sound like nothing. A hald second is a HUGE difference. You are so ridiculous that there is no need to go on. Stephen, if that is too offensive, then just throw me out of here but this person sounds pretty...forget it.

Im gonna be gone on vacation for about week, try not to cry that i wont be around. I cant wait to see the next Q test. If it gets 5.9 seconds, I wonder youll be saying...funny to think about it.

BTW, I didnt read that Toyo and Lexus prep their cars on an Infiniti or Nissan site...
Old 07-12-01, 02:23 PM
T66Supra

A few things, first I am speaking from PERSONAL experience (yes cars I have bought and tested myself by taking them to the track) about the Toyota/Lexus cars going faster than Toyota/Lexus claims. Not some "board".

Second, the Nissan and Infiniti boards you are reading are BS'ing, specially in light of what I just described above.

Third, the only Q45's to hit 5.9 seconds will be ringers. I ALREADY drove a production Q45, it CAN'T do 0 to 60 anywhere near 5.9 seconds, closer to 6.9.

If you want to read BS, reread your own post. I didnt say I knew this person or even if its true, Im just saying what I read. BOTH magazine the LS won 0-60 because BOTH times the Q was a pre production model. "Toyota/Lexus cars always seem to perform better in real life than in magazines." Im sure youve done tests too (BS). "Usually cars are half a second quicker than they claim." I can make claims too, at least i say they are claims of other people and do not pass it as fact. The LS has yet to get Lexus' estimated time of 6.2 seconds. You make a half second sound like nothing. A hald second is a HUGE difference. You are so ridiculous that there is no need to go on. Stephen, if that is too offensive, then just throw me out of here but this person sounds pretty...forget it.

Im gonna be gone on vacation for about week, try not to cry that i wont be around. I cant wait to see the next Q test. If it gets 5.9 seconds, I wonder youll be saying...funny to think about it.

BTW, I didnt read that Toyo and Lexus prep their cars on an Infiniti or Nissan site...

Old 07-12-01, 03:15 PM
Stephen
Pole Position

Come on guys, remember what I said.

Have a good trip Drod.
Old 07-14-01, 12:53 AM
Stephen
Pole Position

Okay this is totally over.

I see certain members of this site are incapable of acting like adults and putting their opinions forth in an adultlike manner.

This thread is closed and I will deal with the member that has effected its closure.

Sorry that the more mature members of this site have to have a discussion closed because of the juvinile behavior of one.

All I have to say is grow up.