LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Not buying an LS400 anymore

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-05, 03:12 PM
lino
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Not buying an LS400 anymore

I regret to inform you fine gentlemen that I changed my mind regarding purchasing an LS400. I believe the car to be an excellent choice for what I'm looking for, but Lexus Canada has pissed me off for the last time with their lack of professionalism and lack of knowledge. Their customer serivce is horrible and they have never returned my calls after leaving numerous messages requesting information about their products. The other thing, is the dealerships have not been treating me well either. I went there asking for a pre-owned LS400 and they tried to talk me into a 2005 Corolla . Do they actually believe that I'd buy a new Corolla . Do they not see the difference in the physical size? They looked at me in a way that if I couldn't afford to fork out $100,000 for a new one, than maybe I shouldn't be buying one. I have had more than one dealership treat me the same way. This is not how I want to start this journey.

I was at the Jaguar dealer, BMW dealer and Mercedes dealer and not one of them treated me any different than a new car buyer. Considering that I have strong relations with Mercedes and BMW, I think I'm going to have to buy one of their products instead. I feel that the the BMW 740iL is what I'm going to focus my attention on now.

I still love the LS400 nonetheless, and it would probably be a better purchase than the BMW and cheaper to maintain , but I need to have a strong communication with the company of whichever brand I drive and so until I move, there will be no Lexus for me.
Old 06-17-05, 04:12 PM
TJW98LS
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by lino
I regret to inform you fine gentlemen that I changed my mind regarding purchasing an LS400. I believe the car to be an excellent choice for what I'm looking for, but Lexus Canada has pissed me off for the last time with their lack of professionalism and lack of knowledge. Their customer serivce is horrible and they have never returned my calls after leaving numerous messages requesting information about their products. The other thing, is the dealerships have not been treating me well either. I went there asking for a pre-owned LS400 and they tried to talk me into a 2005 Corolla . Do they actually believe that I'd buy a new Corolla . Do they not see the difference in the physical size? They looked at me in a way that if I couldn't afford to fork out $100,000 for a new one, than maybe I shouldn't be buying one. I have had more than one dealership treat me the same way. This is not how I want to start this journey.

I was at the Jaguar dealer, BMW dealer and Mercedes dealer and not one of them treated me any different than a new car buyer. Considering that I have strong relations with Mercedes and BMW, I think I'm going to have to buy one of their products instead. I feel that the the BMW 740iL is what I'm going to focus my attention on now.

I still love the LS400 nonetheless, and it would probably be a better purchase than the BMW and cheaper to maintain , but I need to have a strong communication with the company of whichever brand I drive and so until I move, there will be no Lexus for me.
That's tough to hear bro, but if you're considering another car, go 740IL...Those are real nice. Too bad they treated you bad, down here they treat you good and have a starbucks at the dealership! WOOHOO! mmmmmmmocha!
Old 06-17-05, 07:58 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 470 Likes on 362 Posts

Has Toyota/Lexus Corprate responded to your incidents? Sheep like this happens at all dealerships but Lexus is supposed to have a better service ratio than the "others". Which dealership is this?
Old 06-17-05, 08:21 PM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by lino

That's a shame dude......I hear ya & feel you pain (not with Lexus mind you, but other dealers).

Where abouts in Canada are you? (I'm in Toronto personally)

I'd personally stay clear of BMW......I'd buy a MB before that myself, but what about considering an Infiniti?

What kind of specific product info are you looking for exactly about the LS?

I agree with RA40 too........I've never had any major problem with my Lexus dealer or Lexus Canada head offiice & I'm only 28. I would take up your customer service concerns with management at Lexus head office!

I should keep this article with me & apply for a job at Lexus Canada! lol

I wouldn't completely take the Lexus LS400 off your list just yet (& I do understand your frustration!) Remember, Lexus head office, nor the dealerships built the LS which still makes it one of the very best luxury cars one can get!
Old 06-17-05, 11:03 PM
Pagong
Lexus Test Driver

Sorry to hear about your bad experience...

Maybe when you get your 740iL you should drive up to the
same dealer lot and pretend you're buying a car

Good Luck in whatever you decide.
Old 06-18-05, 06:07 AM
LEXkid
Driver School Candidate

I got similar treatment yesterday! I Walked in to browse the local lexus dealer..... there for 5minutes no one even acknowledged me, and I wasn't dressed like a bum either.

Oh well, Come time to replace my LS400 I won't be going to that dealer!
Old 06-18-05, 02:33 PM
TJW98LS
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LEXkid
I got similar treatment yesterday! I Walked in to browse the local lexus dealer..... there for 5minutes no one even acknowledged me, and I wasn't dressed like a bum either.

Oh well, Come time to replace my LS400 I won't be going to that dealer!
Well what I realized about some of these Lexus dealers is that, they wont come up to you unless you are there for a few minutes. They want you to feel like you can browse without them humping your leg all through the lot. I went up to the GM dealership and thats all they do, once one went inside to ask about one of the cars 3 or 4 more would make their way over, lol I thought it was funny. So I guess they teach their employees not to bother or compete over a sale.
Old 06-18-05, 06:09 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

When I was seriously looking:

I had made prior trips to three dealers to meet with sales people...these were just cold stops right off the street. I was not approached on the lot. When I walked into the show room, I was greeted and asked if they may help me. Based on how I felt about the particular sales person, I would get their card and I told them, "I would keep them in mind when I was ready to buy." I left my name so they would rememebr me.

I called each back a week before I was ready to buy. Told them I was looking for a pre-owned in a particular configuration and to call me if it was available for inspection-drive-ready to buy.

The sales guy at Westminster was on it and I was getting calls almost every other day with various choices. I thought he was a bit anxious and I told him to let me think about it and I'd call him. During that time, I made an appointment through AAA with Cerritos Lexus to discuss a pre-owned purchase. They were the most receptive without being overly anxious so I remained with them.

Cerritos called me to say they did have a GS but it was out of my price range but to come on in and we'd discuss it. Bottom line, didn't like the car so he showed me an LS because it was in my price range.

Now and then I'll get a penned note from the sales person about trading up. Nice touch.
Old 06-18-05, 06:30 PM
TJW98LS
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by RA40
When I was seriously looking:

I had made prior trips to three dealers to meet with sales people...these were just cold stops right off the street. I was not approached on the lot. When I walked into the show room, I was greeted and asked if they may help me. Based on how I felt about the particular sales person, I would get their card and I told them, "I would keep them in mind when I was ready to buy." I left my name so they would rememebr me.

I called each back a week before I was ready to buy. Told them I was looking for a pre-owned in a particular configuration and to call me if it was available for inspection-drive-ready to buy.

The sales guy at Westminster was on it and I was getting calls almost every other day with various choices. I thought he was a bit anxious and I told him to let me think about it and I'd call him. During that time, I made an appointment through AAA with Cerritos Lexus to discuss a pre-owned purchase. They were the most receptive without being overly anxious so I remained with them.

Cerritos called me to say they did have a GS but it was out of my price range but to come on in and we'd discuss it. Bottom line, didn't like the car so he showed me an LS because it was in my price range.

Now and then I'll get a penned note from the sales person about trading up. Nice touch.
I really like that car of yours lol. You better keep it!
Old 06-18-05, 07:08 PM
CarsFreak
Driver School Candidate

I absolutely hate people, especially those in sales, treat you by the way you look. At the NYIAS, I asked the Lexus guy to give me some brochures. He glanced at me and looked away and pointed at this stack of an All-model brochure. I asked him again that I wanted some more in-depth information. Again he refused to give me the brochures even though it was right by him behind the counter. Then an older white couple (I'll explain later) strolled by and requested a brochure of an LS and the guy immediately gave it to her with no hesitation. I looked in disbelief. He glanced again and ignored me and continued on typing his computer.

Just because I'm Asian doesn't mean that I don't have money. I asked another sales lady next to that guy and without further ado, she immediately gave me all the 4 brochures I wanted, ES, LS, RX, & GS. Might I add with a smile.

That guy still pisses me off.
Old 06-18-05, 09:00 PM
blange400
Driver

Today, wifey and I went into our local who has been quite nice to date.

We wanted to buy a 98 LS with 61K for a reasonable sum.

Instead we got the standard car dealer " We want $28K for our car and we'll give you $3k for your $9k car. Now just tell me what you would like to do." (lets haggle for two hours til you're tired).

Leave we did.

Lexus is #1 in quality but they need to get back to their 1990 mind set.
There are alternatives to a Lexus.

Bob in NM
Old 06-19-05, 01:13 AM
RA40
Super Moderator

I've been in sales (in another area long ago) these days, you don't pre-qualify a person based on their appearances. It is a ratio so after seeing X number of tire kickers, the odds are slim and after one is in it for a spell, they get skeptical...it is not right.

I have not had incidents where after I've introduced myself to the sales guy and talked briefly about my motivation, been turned down a test drive. I'm up front. The last time I told him I'm not interested in buying...but would like to drive the '04 ML LS to compare the changes from mine and this. Mostly to hear the Levinson system on the road. No problem.

The sales guy at the Porsche dealership warmed up after a few moments when I expressed I wasn't interested in the new 997 but possibly an '03 996 Carrera. He pointed me toward a few on the lot and I looked at them. I didn't ask for a test drive because I had told him it was a future consideration. He handed me a card and told me to give him a call if he could do anything when that time came.

If this was a serious intent to buy as how I read lino's post, then I would walk right into the sales managers office and express my disappointment at the treatment.

Don't be timid.
Old 06-19-05, 02:45 AM
GS3.0
Lexus Test Driver

Sorry to hear that bud...but im curious which dealer you had problems with? I've had my share of 2nd rate service and quirks with a Lexus dealer in my area and its probably because they think i look too young to be driving a GS or just "hatin" because they can't be driving one theselves...in all honesty i wouldn't steer away from a Lexus just yet...the LS4 is a great car and wouldn't let some neanderthal-like sales person steer me away...make a complaint to Lexus management or head office...they need feedback like this so they can weed out the "haters" and keep Lexus service they way it should be!
Old 06-19-05, 08:29 AM
LEXkid
Driver School Candidate

GS 3.0 said: "the LS4 is a great car and wouldn't let some neanderthal-like sales person steer me away...make a complaint to Lexus management or head office...they need feedback like this so they can weed out the "haters" and keep Lexus service they way it should be!"

That is one way of looking at it and a good perspective, but.....

I go by the other approach. the "walk away" approach. My attitude is if a certain dealer or even a retail store, or any sort of business treats me with disrespect, I won't yell, I won't talk to the manager. I will quite simply - walk away, Never come back, and tell all my friends about the ****ty service.

I don't do favours for people who dont do them for me.