LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

So I changed my oil today and..

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-05, 12:17 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 470 Likes on 362 Posts

Originally Posted by ntran18
As lexusk8 also pointed out, when you do your own change, you can check out other things while the oil is draining. Those clowns at the quicky lube didn't tell me there was an oil leak but did let me know that I need a new air filter that they happen to sell.
The Stealerships do that too.

I had changed the power steering fluid and interior cabin air filter about the week before I brought the car in for other service. When I got home, there was a call from the servicer writer "informing" me that the technician recommended that the power steering fluid and the cabin airfilter were dirty.
Old 06-26-05, 02:10 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by 1993ES300x
wow.. i'm sorry to hear that bro.. my cusin works at a Nissan shop.. . even he tells me most of the time they use after market parts to save some cash. my suggestion to you is. things like Oil change or headlight bolt replacement ...etc. are soo easy , you can do it yourself. since you got the mobel 1 oil already..just get yourself the filter and jack that baby up and unscrew the oil drain plug.. how hard is that???.. you're even feel better knowing you did it all by yourself...
...in his original post he says he was doing it himself when he noticed the the filter switch....
-Annant
Old 06-26-05, 05:41 PM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
...in his original post he says he was doing it himself when he noticed the the filter switch....
-Annant
That’s exactly right, I don’t think anyone is going to change my oil ever again. Especially in these cars, the filter is easily reachable, and it only takes 5mins to pull down the cover. Moreover, I get to keep it draining for a couple of hours to get everything out.

I’ll let you guys know what develops with my dealership.
Old 06-19-07, 05:06 PM
LS4
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what ever happened to this dealer? did you report him to the better business bureau?
Old 06-19-07, 05:22 PM
95gs300
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Damn that is real creep its ashame knowing that their people out like that, thats why I stand right next to my car if I take it somewhere to get worked on
Old 06-19-07, 05:40 PM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

talk about a old topic! almost 2 years, but this is a shame that the dealer would do this. but changing the oil on a LS shouldnt be that hard. after seeing tutorials on how to change the oil on a LS this will be my first oil change ever and will also be my first spark plug change .
Old 06-19-07, 06:26 PM
docdgt@com
Rookie

Default And today I changed my oil.....

The used oil -- if you have an oil burner in your house you can pour the used oil into the tank (pour it in where the oil man puts in the heating oil). I have done this for years and it saves the hassle of disposing of the used oil to say nothing of getting a bit more useful energy out of a waste product. The dirt and water sink to the bottom of the tank and in no way interfere with the operation of the oil burner. Try it.
Old 06-20-07, 07:00 AM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I know it is an old topic, but I can't believe a dealership would not use OEM parts. Unbelievable.

Keeping with the somewhat pet peeve oil change theme, It really pisses me off when people over tighten the oil filter. When I first bought my used 99 I decided to change oil. First thing I noticed was the Fram oil filter. I don't particularly like Fram, but since I know the used car dealership changed the oil it was on only a few weeks and few hundred miles. Anyway, since I had a old Fram oil filter removal tool that just happened to be the right size, I figured it would be an easy job. WRONG. The filter was on so tight that even the correct filter removal just spun around on the filter (Think of it like you stripped a bolt head). Getting a little irritated now, I opted for the trusty oil filter removal plier. Now this tool gets a real good grip and can get tighter as you loosen the filter. Still, the oil filter was so damn tight that I had to squeeze the plier removal tool so tight around the filter that it punctured the oil filter. Obviously this made the job real messy. I eventually got it off, but man it really pisses me off how tight people screw these filters on. I hand tighten all my filters and have never had a leak before. When mechanics and techs that supposed to be in the know over torque nuts and bolts it really gets on my nerves.

Speaking of oil disposal. We are luck in my state. Not sure if it is different in other states, but we can actually throw the oil away in the trash. There is a catch though. Many of our local stores carry those oil boxes where there is a plastic bag filled with cotton strips to soak up the oil. It holds 5 quarts I believe. If we use these boxes it is legal to just throw it in the trash. This could be because our trash gets dumped into an incinerator first, then the remaining unburnable trash goes into the land fill. Also, trash gets burned for electricity, so I guess our state feels since it will all be burned anyway it doesn't matter.
Old 06-20-07, 08:52 AM
steveski
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I can believe the dealerships do this as they do in the Houston area also. I don't particularly like Fram either. However, at least Fram has an extended filter specifically designed for 7500+ miles.
Old 06-20-07, 02:34 PM
Alan D
Driver

I do the oil changes myself on every vehicle I've ever owned. It's easy and you get the piece of mind of knowing it's done right. Not to mention getting to check out the condition of other parts of the engine and front end while you are waiting for the oil to drain.

I've even done the transmission and differential fluid on my 99 LS. All are very easy to do.
Old 06-20-07, 03:34 PM
steveski
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yup - especially the tranny since there is a drain plug. I have done my dif once and need to do it again.
Old 06-20-07, 07:46 PM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Just as an update... i told the service manager, and he didn't seem to care/didn't want to talk about it.

So I dont service my car there when I dont absolutely have too. I've moved just last week, and it seems i have a few dealers in the area... and you know what that means.
Old 06-21-07, 11:53 AM
TJW98LS
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by GRAND_LS 4
Just as an update... i told the service manager, and he didn't seem to care/didn't want to talk about it.

So I dont service my car there when I dont absolutely have too. I've moved just last week, and it seems i have a few dealers in the area... and you know what that means.
Very VERY old thread. I remember this when I first came around CL. Good times, good times.
Old 06-26-07, 03:08 PM
GreenGrass
Driver School Candidate

I have a bad habit of not trusting anyone with my car. Oil and brake pads and rotors are cake. You'll save lot's of time and LOT'S of money.
Old 06-26-07, 04:39 PM
ewenpg
Driver

Angry

In the same "bad dealership" vein, my friend works at Auto Zone which is less then a block away from a Lexus Dealership in LA and he says that frequently the Lexus guys come in buying brake pads for Lexus cars AND they are the cheapest pads they can get!!!! They charge sooo much for brake work too!!
Ewen

Quick Reply: So I changed my oil today and..