LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Small work, yields big results.

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-05 | 10:31 PM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Originally Posted by Tote
LOL!!! I tried it today and did I scare myself good. I got a check engine light and when I tried to accelerate I found out the true meaning of a stutter. What I did was clean the honeycomb part of the air intake that holds the MAF and some of the fluid got on the maf sensor so I just sprayed it a little more, let it dry, reinstalled and saw the check engine light. Figured I would just replace. Then I saw the prices. Then it all sank in and I felt an empty spot in my stomach.

After about 2hours of recleaning and head pounding I Got on this site and the net and someone stated that if you do clean it, use alcohol ( he did mention a specific type- just Forgot) so I poured some on the sensor which I had removed from the air intake housing. Blow dried it and reinstalled.
To my suprise, the check light didn't turn on and the car started working again. I'm sure it was pour luck ( or maybe the alcohol desolved some of the gunk from the throttle cleaner).

I'm Glad I can Laugh about it now, But earlier it was a completely diferent story. So unless you know what your doing "Don't Try This At Home" LOL.

BTW The car does feel better. Maybe just happy its working.
Tote
Are you sure it wasnt because you didnt reinstall it correctly the first time? I cleaned mine up more then once, with no problemssssss.
Old 07-11-05 | 10:51 PM
Tote
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by GRAND_LS 4
Are you sure it wasnt because you didnt reinstall it correctly the first time? I cleaned mine up more then once, with no problemssssss.

Could be. I did notice that the first time it did not sit properly. But I tried about 4 other times where I believe it sat properly. The one that I worked on was a 1993. and the maf might be a little different. It seemed as though air had to travel into two very small holes.

What I did find very interesting was that when the maf sensor wasn't working I disconnected the sensor and turned on the car. I drove around and the car drove really well. almost better than when it was working.

I was determined to drive it without the sensor connected. I couldn't tell except for the check engine light staying on. Maybe it would cause some long term damage or not, but I figured it probably wouldn't pass a smog check with the check engine light on.

Tote
Old 07-11-05 | 11:34 PM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

strange, my car wont ever start with the maf unpluged.
Old 07-12-05 | 06:40 AM
phillipin
Driver

drove it 30 miles to work today, seems to be ok, had a small buck at 67 mph but it wasnt nearly as bad as it was. Under a medium load from dead stops it didnt buck either, even when i was trying to make it it ran ok. Mpg seem to be ok as well right now. I guess i can live with not replacing the maf right away. Only time will tell.
Old 07-12-05 | 07:56 AM
skperformance
Lexus Champion

You have to clean out the maf after cleaning it.
Meaning tb cleaner
then brake clean to loosen any left over residue and wash it out
then compressed air to dry it off.
All down with very light amounts of pressure from the cans.

Other wise you leave the deposits all over teh wire and it causes the ecu to think no air is coming in as the filament is now caked with dirt ,basically it is protecting it from reading the air passing by it like a coat.