LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Changing accessory belt...

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-01, 07:39 AM
tn52
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Hi everyone,
Could someone gives me instructions to replace the accessory belt on a 93 LS? I notice that the car have only one big belt for everything. How much is the belt and where to order it? Thanks in advance for any help.
Old 07-04-01, 05:42 PM
New Owner
Rookie

Since no one else has seen fit to reply, I will.

I have never changed the serpentine belt on a Lexus before, although I have plenty of times on other cars and trucks. There's really not much too it other than paying good attention to the routing over and under the various pulleys.

There is a spring loaded pulley that is called the tensioner. In the middle of this is a nut. This is not for loosening nor tightning, but rather serves to act as a leverage point. I use a 14" breaker bar with the correct socket. I do not know what size this is on a Lexus; on a lot of American cars and trucks it's a standard 9/16". You'll want at least a 12" breaker bar to get enough leverage. Pretend you're trying to turn the nut on the tensioner pulley clockwise. Do it hard enough and you'll see that the whole pulley mechanism will push down, releasing tension off of the old belt.

Draw a diagram of the pulleys and how the old belt routes over them before removing it. On American cars this diagram is provided right there on the top of the radiator bracket. I didn't see this on the Lexus, so take my advice and sketch it out. You'll need to refer to this to get the new belt on.

The object is to route the new belt over all the pulleys in the correct order and then bear down on the tensioner pulley with your breaker bar until you can slip the belt over it, then release the tension (let go).

Make sure that smooth surface pulleys face against the smooth side if the belt and grooved pulleys mate against the ribbed side of the belt. Be sure to get it completely on all pulleys.

You can purchase the belt at most any automotove parts store. I don't know how much the belt for the Lexus costs; most American car serpentine belts cost $15 - $20 bux. At the Lexus garage it's probably $50 or more. (only guessing)

On the Lexus car you'll have to remove the intake breather air duct to gain access.

good luck.
Old 07-05-01, 08:42 AM
VQT
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

On my 93 SC400 the diagram is on the hood with the VIN no. close by. Check your hood to see if it still has the VIN like the fenders, if not you got a replacement hood
Originally posted by New Owner

Draw a diagram of the pulleys and how the old belt routes over them before removing it. On American cars this diagram is provided right there on the top of the radiator bracket. I didn't see this on the Lexus, so take my advice and sketch it out. You'll need to refer to this to get the new belt on.
Tuan,

If you like to have OEM parts, contact Steve Ganz
800-908-6969 x2381
or gonzo4u@earthlink.net

he sell Lexus parts cheaper than anyone I know so far

Viet
Old 07-16-01, 08:17 AM
tn52
Rookie

Thanks to both of you. For the past few weeks, I was looking up for the replacement procedure and nobody explains that the nut on the pulley was used only for leverage because it was spring loaded! Viet, I will call the number you gave me to purchase the belt.