LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Alternator plug ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-05, 07:38 AM
Jansen Rollins
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alternator plug ?

I was changing the alternator on my 94 LS yesterday and I broke one of the wires on the alternator plug I've searched locally and online but no luck so far. One salvage yard had a 92 LS400 but the plug was round and mine is more rectanglular with 3 wires. I thought about trying to fabricate something with connectors as a last resort . Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I contacted the Lexus dealer in Tinley Park , IL and the parts guy said each wire came separately ? I'm not sure about that but if anyone has any ideas I'd appreciate it .

Jansen
Old 08-20-05, 10:15 AM
koolaidman
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Jansen Rollins
I was changing the alternator on my 94 LS yesterday and I broke one of the wires on the alternator plug I've searched locally and online but no luck so far. One salvage yard had a 92 LS400 but the plug was round and mine is more rectanglular with 3 wires. I thought about trying to fabricate something with connectors as a last resort . Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I contacted the Lexus dealer in Tinley Park , IL and the parts guy said each wire came separately ? I'm not sure about that but if anyone has any ideas I'd appreciate it .

Jansen
if u can get a hold of a ewd. i belive there are connector part numbers from toyota
Old 08-20-05, 10:20 AM
Tammy
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You'll need a wire removal tool to remove the flat plug from the plastic plug assembly. This is a one millimeter point size Steelite Crochet hook that can be purchased at hobby or sewing stores. There is a tab on the back of the flat metal plug that is accessed from the wire side of the plastic plug assembly. Use the point of the crochet hook to push the tab inward on itself as you pull the wire out with needle nose pliers. Form the tab back out slightly and the metal plug will relock itself in the plastic assembly when reinserted with the needle nose pliers. You can use a soiderless crimp and crimping tool to repair the wire or replace the wire end. An alternator shop may be able to assist you locally with small parts.
Old 09-29-11, 03:32 PM
green79lx
Driver School Candidate

I need to know the 3 wires that are in the wire plug for my 93 LS400. All 3 wires pulled out of the plug, and the plug broke. A local junk yard sold me a plug, but all 3 wires are different colors. Which order is correct?
Old 07-27-13, 06:47 AM
Crybicki
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default also looking for color order

Bringing this post back because I am in the midst of doing the alternator, had to get a new plug because my original cracked, and I have 3 wires for the alternator plug that are white with green stripe, solid yellow, and black with a yellow stripe. I need to know what wire goes where, left to right.
I am still actively searching the interweb and CL for an answer.
Thanks

Edit, colors are different than what i thought: white with green stripe, solid yellow, and black with a yellow stripe

Last edited by Crybicki; 07-27-13 at 09:14 AM.
Old 07-27-13, 07:02 AM
loutheump
Driver School Candidate

Default LS400 Alternator Plug

I have the same problem. The connector crumbled. In my 1995 the wires are: Black with a red stripe; White with a green stripe; and Yellow.
Old 07-27-13, 07:25 PM
loutheump
Driver School Candidate

Default Alternator Plug

I went to Lexus in Tustin, CA and got this info for my 1995 LS400. Looking at the alternator receptacle with the latch tab on top, the #1 pin is on the left, #2 pin in the middle and the #3 onthe right. The yellow wire goes to #1, the black/red goes to #2 and the white/blue goes to #3. I used some red RTV to seal up the pins. The alternator is now working correctly.
Old 07-28-13, 04:52 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Received 82 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Jansen Rollins
I was changing the alternator on my 94 LS yesterday and I broke one of the wires on the alternator plug
don't feel bad, I have done that on an LS400 alternator myself!

fortunately, a LOT of different Toyota models all throughout the 90's, including the trucks, used this three wire alternator plug, go to any good pull-a-part junkyard with a good selection of imports and you ought to be able to round up 3 or 4 of these connectors with pigtail within 10 or 15 minutes! (not that you need 3 or 4, but I would get 2 while I was there) - and you will probably be charged a whopping $2 for each