LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

brake pad shift?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-05, 05:45 AM
dnelmo
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default brake pad shift?

Hello all:

I have a '96 LS400 with 88,000 miles. I just had portions of the 90,000 mile service performed and I also, at the advice of the mechanic, had the strut bars replaced. I still occassionally hear a single clicking sound from each side of the front of the car when braking, usually after having just backed up the car.

The service writer at the dealership and the mechanic tell me that what I am hearing is brake pad shift and that it is normal for some Lexus models. They tell me that the brakes are fine and that if I want to alleviate (temporarily) the click I can use some grease to help absorb the movement (shift) of the brake pads. My comment to them is that I cannot imagine this noise being acceptable to anyone who spends that much money on a car, and, that I have never owned a car (primarily Fords) where the brakes, by design, made that much noise. They assure me that some BMWs and Mercedes make the same noise.

I did a search for brake pad shift on the LS 400-430 forum but did not get any meaningful hits. Is there any merit to what they are telling me?

Thanks in advance for your feedback,

David
Old 08-22-05, 08:46 AM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

I hear this click from time to time, especially after having just reversed. I barely remember hearing in the GS forum that it was normal, and it was something that had to do with the brakes adjusting, to the direction of travel, or something of that nature, but I could be wrong.
Old 08-22-05, 02:33 PM
ychachad
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a similar problem on my 92. When I did my brakes, I found out that the shims on the pads were missing. I got shims from the Lexus dealer for the rear, and the noise was gone. Check to see if you have the shims.
Old 08-22-05, 03:02 PM
jtparkes
Rookie

I have exactly the same noise you describe, under the same conditions, as on my '99 LS.
The dealer downplayed it too.

Thanks for the hint Chachad - I'll give that a try-
Old 08-22-05, 03:07 PM
IS0LD0UT
Lead Lap

Same thing on my 03 GS. As others have stated, the dealer told me that it was normal. And its just the pads shifting. I believe there is some sort of grease that will lessen/make the noise go away for a while, but it is only a temp fix.
Old 08-22-05, 10:41 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

had the same problem on my dads car, amazingly enough, it turned out thatt therre were Aftermarket pads WITHOUT shims and they were installed BACKWARDS!!?!??!

it made the same exact noises you are describing so if its still there after a thousand miles (depending how much u drive) id get it checked out....non dealer though...

-ANnant
Old 08-23-05, 10:44 AM
dnelmo
Driver School Candidate

All:

Thanks for the feedback - I'll check the shims this weekend and post an update. I'll be sure and let the dealership know what I find out as well. I'm sure it will fall on deaf ears but I at least want to communicate the info to them.

David
Old 08-23-05, 07:25 PM
koolaidman
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by dnelmo
Hello all:

I have a '96 LS400 with 88,000 miles. I just had portions of the 90,000 mile service performed and I also, at the advice of the mechanic, had the strut bars replaced. I still occassionally hear a single clicking sound from each side of the front of the car when braking, usually after having just backed up the car.

The service writer at the dealership and the mechanic tell me that what I am hearing is brake pad shift and that it is normal for some Lexus models. They tell me that the brakes are fine and that if I want to alleviate (temporarily) the click I can use some grease to help absorb the movement (shift) of the brake pads. My comment to them is that I cannot imagine this noise being acceptable to anyone who spends that much money on a car, and, that I have never owned a car (primarily Fords) where the brakes, by design, made that much noise. They assure me that some BMWs and Mercedes make the same noise.

I did a search for brake pad shift on the LS 400-430 forum but did not get any meaningful hits. Is there any merit to what they are telling me?

Thanks in advance for your feedback,

David
its normal. if u want u can tell the dealership to use anti squeel rubber compound. witch will make that clicking noise stop.