LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Bigger brakes?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-01, 03:22 PM
SQ-LS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This question comes from Zushwa.
I believe he is trying to make this a weekly ritual on questions to ask Lou. LOL

I have thought about this upgrade a lot and see really no reason for upgrading the LS brakes to bigger rotors like the RMM and APs kits.
The only reason really to go bigger is if your car is handling a lot more HP and of course there isn't much out there for the LS to increase the HP so dramaticly (anyone really want to spend $7k for the supercharger?).
The LS rotors are already large, you just need to get rid of the mushy feeling.
Changing out the brake lines will do the trick.
If you really want to stop better then changing the pads is the next trick.
Rotors are really for looks slotted or drilled.
They help but not as much as you think they do, the magic is in your pads you use.
Painting the calipers with be a nice touch and adding the Lexus sticker someone here in CL designed is the ultimate touch.

I plan on going this route, plus it is a lot cheaper.
This will cost around $600-$800 total while the closest cheap upgrade is the RMM at $1150.
Maybe Steve Ganz can give us a quote, I'll email him.

Last edited by SQ-LS; 07-09-01 at 03:24 PM.
Old 07-09-01, 10:55 PM
zushwa
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Lou. You pretty much covered everything I wanted to know. I know the drilled/slotted rotors dissipate heat better but in my case would be mostly for looks. Are there any out there that will fit the LS and still be able to use the stock caliper?? In the GS forum they are putting together a mix-and-match group buy through Steve and I was wondering if something like this is available to us. Something like SS brakelines, performance pads and new rotors? Maybe we can have a group buy on the caliper stickers to bring down the outragous price!!

Last edited by zushwa; 07-10-01 at 06:20 AM.
Old 07-11-01, 09:23 AM
SQ-LS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by zushwa
Thanks Lou. You pretty much covered everything I wanted to know. I know the drilled/slotted rotors dissipate heat better but in my case would be mostly for looks. Are there any out there that will fit the LS and still be able to use the stock caliper?? In the GS forum they are putting together a mix-and-match group buy through Steve and I was wondering if something like this is available to us. Something like SS brakelines, performance pads and new rotors? Maybe we can have a group buy on the caliper stickers to bring down the outragous price!!
I got Steve working on it and he will get back to me soon.
Old 07-11-01, 10:09 AM
zushwa
Lead Lap

Thanks Loule, I won't bother you with any other chores for a while.

I really have the best intentions for your poor stock brakes under those Volks.

With all that extra stereo weight you might need the bigger brakes!!!!
Old 07-11-01, 01:32 PM
SQ-LS
Lexus Test Driver

OK, this is what Steve sent me.
Who would like some, raise your hands.

Lou,

Here's what I can get for the 1st gen LS (up to 8/92) I will have to order
factory lines and have them made for you. These will be done by the Brembo
distributor Race Technologies.

Slotted/crossdrilled rotors,cad plated and balanced-$149.00 each x 4
SS lines-$134.00
Hawk HPS front pads-$79.00
Rear factory pads-$45.00

I need at least five people before he will do this for each of the
generation splits since the rotors are different. If this sounds interesting
feel free to post it or get back with me. These will be custom made to each
order, I have some comong for my Supra tomorrow.

-Regards,
-Steve Ganz
-CarsonToyota/Lexus Parts
-TRD/L-Tuned
-gonzo4u@earthlink.net
-1-800-908-6968
Old 07-11-01, 07:44 PM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Eh, I dunno know about the "lexus" logos on the calipers...kinda cheezy IMO...everyone knows it's a Lexus...no need to point out the fact that you have STOCK brakes...know what I mean?

What wrong with spending $7K on a Supercharger?!

Personally, I would just get the brake pads, steel lines, and pain the calipers BLACK or silver and just leave it at that if I was on a shoestring budget...

But let me tell ya, NOTHING beats having a killer brake setup....the stock brakes in the GS are pretty good, but even in a medium length canyon (say several miles) if the car is driven hard, the brakes fade easily...with my AP's, I don't have this problem...just a lot of brake dust! But I suppose most people don't drive a LS that hard though...

Well anyways, after much internal battling with myself, I think I might get a LS400 (95+) as a "beater" now and the join the ranks!

Since gas prices are coming down (besides that, a extra $5-$10 over what it would cost to fill up a V6 car really won't kill me). The LS will offer me enough interior space to tote friends around plus it's safer than a small compact car. And the LS has enough power (I think) to keep me happy for a while...

I think I'm going to do a mild body kit (like the Exclusive kit), a matching exhaust system, coil overs, and 19" or 20" wheels/tires...and a sound system (full Pioneer A/V with DVD and navigation up front, still figuring out the rest of the system)...hopefully, I can find a STB...otherwise, I just might have to make my own...would you guys be interested in front and rear STB's for the LS? (figure $500/set)
Old 07-11-01, 08:38 PM
Hann
Driver School Candidate

Personally, I would just get the brake pads, steel lines, and pain the calipers BLACK or silver and just leave it at that if I was on a shoestring budget...

Manaray, you mentioned painting the calipers black or silver. I've been thinking about painting my calipers for a long time but in red (a la Porsche and the likes). I need your expert opinion on how that would look.
Old 07-13-01, 06:45 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Thumbs down

I would have to give it a big thumbs down on the red. If you want your brakes to "stand out", get some brakes that are worth looking at...afterall, every Lexus comes with stock Lexus brakes...painting them red just makes them stock Lexus brakes with red paint on them. What's the point? So people will say "WOW! Look at those STOCK LEXUS BRAKES! They're RED!"

To me, unless you have some serious aftermarket brakes (and I'm not talking about "Supra" brakes), anything to make them stand out is cheesy. Even with my AP Racing setup, I would have NEVER, EVER bought them in red...silver or black would have been my only picks (luckily, they come in black!)

At least with aftermarket brakes (like AP's or Brembos), if they stand out, they don't just "look" the part, they actually perform.

I'm really against just "looking" the part (that to me is faking it)...