LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Mercedes Style Mirror Blinkers

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-05, 12:25 PM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 337 Likes on 290 Posts

do the covers actually blink?
Old 10-09-05, 01:17 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by sha4000
do the covers actually blink?
If you hook them up to the right wiring, yes.
Old 10-31-05, 07:56 PM
1994 LS400
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Everyone,
I have been in Hawaii, away from my LS400 since August and let me tell you I MISS HER SO MUCH.....every gen 1 LS I see here in Hawaii I stare at and miss mine even more! However I head home in December, and we will soon be reunited .....
Anyway, I am Posting about these mirrors, b/c I have wanted them for years. I was playing around on eBay today and I stumbled across a seller who is selling the Amber LED covers for Generation 1 and 2. From what I can see they look AWESOME, and they are a reasonable price! I just want to hear how they are in person, if anyone has purchased from this seller in Hong Kong please post and let us know, so when I get back home I may purchase.
Thanks!!!
Paul
Old 11-01-05, 02:55 PM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 1994 LS400
Hey Everyone,
I have been in Hawaii, away from my LS400 since August and let me tell you I MISS HER SO MUCH.....every gen 1 LS I see here in Hawaii I stare at and miss mine even more! However I head home in December, and we will soon be reunited .....
Anyway, I am Posting about these mirrors, b/c I have wanted them for years. I was playing around on eBay today and I stumbled across a seller who is selling the Amber LED covers for Generation 1 and 2. From what I can see they look AWESOME, and they are a reasonable price! I just want to hear how they are in person, if anyone has purchased from this seller in Hong Kong please post and let us know, so when I get back home I may purchase.
Thanks!!!
Paul
i see them and they look good
Old 11-01-05, 06:39 PM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 254 Likes on 201 Posts

I have followed the various posts about Mercedes style signal mirrors and really like the idea.

But it is a lot easier and far less expensive to add fender mounted turn signals that are OEM on Toyota/Lexus vehicles in the U.K. and Europe markets. I've noticed when travelling outside the U.S. that, for a particular model year, the same side mounted turn signals are used on almost all Toyota and Lexus vehicles.

Side mounted turn signals are quite inexpensive from a Toyota or Lexus dealer outside the U.S. In the early 90's I spent less than $150 total to buy and have a body shop add Toyota/Lexus side mounted turn signals to my first LS. I didn't do it because it looked cool -- I'm did it because I had limited vision and the side mounted turn signals really kept me out of trouble by allowing other drivers to see when I was changing lanes.

Attached is a photo of my previous 90 LS with the side mounted turn signals. I didn't add them to my current 00 LS since the front turn signals can be more readily seen from the side and my vision is a lot better now.
Attached Thumbnails Mercedes Style Mirror Blinkers-mvc-001f.jpg  
Old 11-01-05, 07:35 PM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Kansas
I have followed the various posts about Mercedes style signal mirrors and really like the idea.

But it is a lot easier and far less expensive to add fender mounted turn signals that are OEM on Toyota/Lexus vehicles in the U.K. and Europe markets. I've noticed when travelling outside the U.S. that, for a particular model year, the same side mounted turn signals are used on almost all Toyota and Lexus vehicles.

Side mounted turn signals are quite inexpensive from a Toyota or Lexus dealer outside the U.S. In the early 90's I spent less than $150 total to buy and have a body shop add Toyota/Lexus side mounted turn signals to my first LS. I didn't do it because it looked cool -- I'm did it because I had limited vision and the side mounted turn signals really kept me out of trouble by allowing other drivers to see when I was changing lanes.

Attached is a photo of my previous 90 LS with the side mounted turn signals. I didn't add them to my current 00 LS since the front turn signals can be more readily seen from the side and my vision is a lot better now.
Yup, I noticed them outside the states as well, much more useful then the orange parking lit-corner lights.
Old 11-01-05, 08:08 PM
1994 LS400
Driver

I like those, however the sleekness of the amber LED's adds such a high class touch to the LS. I would imagine the mirror signals are a lot brighter and would be more visable to other drivers compared to the lower mounted fender signal. I hope to get these installed when I get back to the mainland.
Paul
Old 11-01-05, 08:39 PM
Celsior Master
Lexus Test Driver

what about the ones on ebay that are going for 100
Old 11-02-05, 09:53 AM
Brandicus
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

do the fender mounted turns come in clear? If not then lets get this thing going leo!!
Old 11-02-05, 03:31 PM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 254 Likes on 201 Posts

Yes, the fender mounted turn signals on Lexus cars have been clear for several years. Below is a photo of an LS430 off the U.K. forum. The side markers are mounted higher on the fender in later model years than on the early LS. On my early LS, I ran the wires from the side markers over front wheel openings to the wires for the front turn signal. When buying the side turn signals, one must also buy the portion of the wiring harness that plugs into each signal housing - these are available as collision damage repair items.

I really recommend having a pro body shop cut the holes in the fenders - body shops have tools for doing this quickly and neatly. And be sure to exactly measure and mark where you want the holes made. It is also very important that the holes be exactly the right size since the signals are held in place by a springy clip on the signal housing. Done incorrectly, this can be an expensive disaster!
Attached Thumbnails Mercedes Style Mirror Blinkers-ls430-with-clear-side-repeaters.jpg  
Old 11-03-05, 10:24 AM
young's 96
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you can go to the mercedes benz dealership and order them thats where i got mine for my es 300 the prices vary depending on what benz you want the lights from it's a hot commodity in houston alot of people put those lights in there mirrors from the benz and the scoop vents from the new buick park ave, with some 84 rims also known as swangers a little candy paint and you will have you a slab! back to the lights i saw them as cheap as $65 dollars and as high as $600 once again depending on what car you get them off.
Old 11-03-05, 01:06 PM
1994 LS400
Driver

Hey Young,
Can you post some pics of your ES300 with the new signal mirrors? I would Like to see.

I Know the older Mercedes C-Class (2001-2004) did not use LED lighting in their mirrors until 2005, had plain halogen mini-bulbs. However, the S and E Classes have used LED's since 2000. Maybe the LED's are what drive the prices up? I know I want mine LED's, rather than halogen.
Paul
Old 11-03-05, 01:56 PM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

that is a interesting developement
Old 11-03-05, 11:11 PM
young's 96
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1994 LS400
Hey Young,
Can you post some pics of your ES300 with the new signal mirrors? I would Like to see.

I Know the older Mercedes C-Class (2001-2004) did not use LED lighting in their mirrors until 2005, had plain halogen mini-bulbs. However, the S and E Classes have used LED's since 2000. Maybe the LED's are what drive the prices up? I know I want mine LED's, rather than halogen.
Paul

yeah 94 ls i dont have a scanner to upload the pics so i will have to go to someone's house with a scanner i dont have the light's in my mirrors yet i just have the light the same guy that does my body work says he can put them in for $200 a hundred dollars for each mirrors he will have to cut them bondo them sand it down and paint them.
Old 11-10-05, 05:55 AM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

anything happening with these mirrors?

Quick Reply: Mercedes Style Mirror Blinkers