LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Chrome pillars underneath black on 91 LS...

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-05, 07:57 PM
Luxury_LEX
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok well were talking about a lexus and I dont think they would use anything cheap that would rust. They probably thought it looked better to put the black tape over it.
Does anyone know how to remove the tape?
Old 10-07-05, 09:25 PM
Celsior2K5
Driver

Exclamation

Originally Posted by Luxury_LEX
Ok well were talking about a lexus and I dont think they would use anything cheap that would rust. They probably thought it looked better to put the black tape over it.
Does anyone know how to remove the tape?
Yeah, someone's GOTTA know. I'm about to just sit there and start peeling soon if someone doesn't say something!
Old 10-07-05, 11:59 PM
TJW98LS
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Are you sure that wont rust? I'm scared to do this.
Old 10-08-05, 01:32 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

worried??? its just rust!! surface rust at that. if your so worried, then go ahead and give it a couple coats of clear afterwards to give urself some peace of mind. oh, and if it works out on ur '98, lemme know, i wanna see if its worth attempting on my '95.
Old 10-08-05, 10:08 AM
playa3uhh
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Just An Idea!

To remove the PINSTRIPING on the 1st gen Lexus only requires Oven remover. Perhaps the A-pillar sticker could be removed by oven remover also since pinstriping is also a sticker. Just an idea I guess.

--John
Old 10-08-05, 10:54 AM
TJW98LS
Lexus Champion

Do you know the black pillars on each side of the windsheild? I think that might be the case too.
Old 10-08-05, 11:19 AM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 337 Likes on 290 Posts

Originally Posted by playa3uhh
To remove the PINSTRIPING on the 1st gen Lexus only requires Oven remover. Perhaps the A-pillar sticker could be removed by oven remover also since pinstriping is also a sticker. Just an idea I guess.

--John
what do you mean by oven remover? the pillars for the wiondshield are chrome underneath also
Old 10-08-05, 12:01 PM
Luxury_LEX
Driver

Originally Posted by TJW98LS
Do you know the black pillars on each side of the windsheild? I think that might be the case too.
Yes they are, Im %100 sure about that. Mine has nicks and sratches on it in various places and its all chrome underneath.

Im going to do this to the pillars and windowshield pillars as soon as some one finds away to take the black tape off.
Old 10-08-05, 06:21 PM
Celsior2K5
Driver

Exclamation

I'm glad I got everybody started on this. Now everyone will be rolling around with STOCK chrome pillars and windshield pillars without having to buy the ones from Japan.

Yes, I have medium-sized nicks and scratches on my windshield pillars and my a-pillars between my front and back door windows and EVERYTHING is chrome underneath. The nicks and scratches on my pillars have been there for over a year and it has not rusted yet so it must be true chrome underneath. And I have a 1991 LS 400.

Well, I'm not going to wait. I'm going to go buy some Easy-off oven cleaner and just sample out a small section of my a-pillar and see if the black sticker just "wipes" off. Playa3uhh was referring to Lexls.com's tutorial on removing the pinstripe on an LS:

http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/body/pinstripes.html

They used Easy-off oven cleaner. The ONLY thing is that I don't think the pinstripe was exactly a sticker. The black stuff on our pillars are. Any ideas?
Old 10-08-05, 09:44 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

since i looked at my pillars today and it seems that the "sticker" is more of a rubberized coating (at least on the 2ndgen+ cars) then a heatgun may work to loosen it and a razor to just lift up the edge. then try to keep it warm and just peel it off???
Old 10-08-05, 10:11 PM
Celsior2K5
Driver

Exclamation

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
since i looked at my pillars today and it seems that the "sticker" is more of a rubberized coating (at least on the 2ndgen+ cars) then a heatgun may work to loosen it and a razor to just lift up the edge. then try to keep it warm and just peel it off???

Yea, I don't think the "sticker" is any different on your 2nd Gen LS in comparison to my 1st Gen. It seems as if all our pillars came with the black "sticker" over them. If we were to use a heat gun, how would we apply it? And would there be a certain way to do it? Someone's gotta try it and once accomplished I'm sure Lexls.com will put it up as a tutorial. I also want to find out how to get the black "sticker" off the windshield pillars cause that's chrome underneath too.
Old 10-08-05, 10:24 PM
TJW98LS
Lexus Champion

There is a spot on my windshield pillars that is chipped bad and I took my finger and scratched some more off. I just noticed today that I hace a small ding on my metal on my door. And its not a round one its like a line. It's kinda weird, I don't know how that got there. It must have happened just recently. But it just left a spot on the pillars.
Old 10-09-05, 12:19 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

If Celsior2k5 will post some pics so i know how the finished product looks, im willing to go at my pillars with a blow dryer(dont have a heat gun x.x) as soon as possible!!!
Old 10-09-05, 12:52 AM
absolut
Pole Position

I noticed this too some time ago. I have a wrecked '91 LS that I can use for parts or pretty much use for anything I want. I'm going down to my father's shop (where the car is at) to do some work on my car this weekend. If anyone has some ideas/ suggestions but don't want to experiment on their own car, I can try them out on this car to see what works best for this and post the results.
Old 10-09-05, 02:45 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

try out heating the sticker and trying to peel it off somehow.

Quick Reply: Chrome pillars underneath black on 91 LS...