LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Chrome pillars underneath black on 91 LS...

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-05 | 02:35 PM
Luxury_LEX
Driver

Default ..

Originally Posted by absolut
I noticed this too some time ago. I have a wrecked '91 LS that I can use for parts or pretty much use for anything I want. I'm going down to my father's shop (where the car is at) to do some work on my car this weekend. If anyone has some ideas/ suggestions but don't want to experiment on their own car, I can try them out on this car to see what works best for this and post the results.

sweet
Old 10-09-05 | 05:09 PM
Celsius
Lead Lap

Please post pics when you're done
Old 10-09-05 | 05:17 PM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

you guys i see my grill is chrome underneath also, i learned this by reading some threads in the gs forum
Old 10-09-05 | 05:19 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug
CL Folding 100000

...our grills are plastic man.....
Old 10-09-05 | 05:31 PM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
...our grills are plastic man.....
thats what i thought too....it feels like i can just push it out
Old 10-09-05 | 07:04 PM
440+6
Rookie

Answer some questions:

1. It won't rust, if it's chrome plated.. which I highly doubt, why all the trouble chromin that piece? Most likey stainless or plain steel, or nickel plated/proprietary coating.. nickel plating is the final step before applyin chromium which gives it the look.

2. As for taking it off, I don't know myself, but it may be vinyl, or it may be an e-coat or some other proprietary coating. Someone mentioned oven cleaner, its close to paint stripper, but tbh I wouldnt try it and no those pinstripes arent vinyl either otherwise I could peel it off with no problems.

3. If there are nicks and scratches and some pitting, you can buff them out using stuff from the likes of www.eastwoodco.com
Old 10-15-05 | 03:48 PM
absolut
Pole Position

bump

Just got back from the shop. Unfortunately I didn't get to spend much time messing with those pillars. By the time I finished with my car the shop manager was ready to leave and was waiting on me so he could lock up. I spent about 5 mintues scraping off the black paint with a razor blade ( I recommend NOT doing this) to reveal the chrome underneath. This & 2 is what it looked like. You can't tell in thos pics but I put alot scrathes in it by using a razorblade. I think a heatgun would probably work fine cause I was able to peel off some of it once I got it started by the razor.

btw this is what I was working on. Tokico shocks with H & R springs. A pain in the *** to put on but to my surprise they fit quite well.
Old 10-15-05 | 05:20 PM
Celsior2K5
Driver

Exclamation

Originally Posted by absolut
bump

Just got back from the shop. Unfortunately I didn't get to spend much time messing with those pillars. By the time I finished with my car the shop manager was ready to leave and was waiting on me so he could lock up. I spent about 5 mintues scraping off the black paint with a razor blade ( I recommend NOT doing this) to reveal the chrome underneath. This & 2 is what it looked like. You can't tell in thos pics but I put alot scrathes in it by using a razorblade. I think a heatgun would probably work fine cause I was able to peel off some of it once I got it started by the razor.

btw this is what I was working on. Tokico shocks with H & R springs. A pain in the *** to put on but to my surprise they fit quite well.
SWEET! They look just as chrome as the ones you can buy from Japan! I'm going to get a heat gun and peel off that black sticker to avoid creating scratches and pitting in the pillars. Then I'm going to put a couple of layers of clear coat on it to prevent them from rusting JUST INCASE. Were they, in fact, chrome? Let us know!

Thanks for experimenting with this bro!

P.S. I also have the Tokico blue shocks and red California Custom 2" lowering springs and the ride has been great! It gave my 91 LS a really aggressive stance without having to sacrifice ride comfort.
Old 10-15-05 | 05:42 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug
CL Folding 100000

hey Brian, how bout posting a DIY up here when ur thru using the heatgun?
Old 10-15-05 | 11:21 PM
Luxury_LEX
Driver

looks good, cant wait to try this

Old 10-16-05 | 02:37 AM
Celjesta
Driver School Candidate

The rain guters on front side(s) of my windshield are aquiring chips on them and I can see silver maybe chrome color underneth the black... has anyone removed the black on these?
Old 10-16-05 | 06:39 AM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Celjesta
The rain guters on front side(s) of my windshield are aquiring chips on them and I can see silver maybe chrome color underneth the black... has anyone removed the black on these?
this is also happening to me it looks ugly but i believe theres chrome under there also
Old 10-16-05 | 10:04 AM
Celsior2K5
Driver

Exclamation

Originally Posted by sha4000
this is also happening to me it looks ugly but i believe theres chrome under there also
yes there is...i will put up a DIY if i can...luxury_lex, u comin to the meet?
Old 10-16-05 | 01:19 PM
Brandicus
Lexus Champion

you can use easy off on the stock stripe that goes around the car though right?
Old 10-16-05 | 01:51 PM
Celsior2K5
Driver

Exclamation

Originally Posted by Brandicus
you can use easy off on the stock stripe that goes around the car though right?
Yes, Lexls.com has a tutorial about it. Just don't let it sit there too long.

BTW, where did you get your one piece headlights from? And you never answered my PM on the LexusRyders.com forums.

Quick Reply: Chrome pillars underneath black on 91 LS...