LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Chrome pillars underneath black on 91 LS...

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-05, 06:11 PM
Luxury_LEX
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok well since no one has any updates now and its been more than a week I decided to mess around with it and take some pictures. I tired using a blow dryer and that pretty much did nothing.....
But anyways I discovered that the chrome pillars being covered up by the black sticker is actually one piece connected to the other chrome trim that isn't covered up.

------------

Thats just a picture far away so that you will understand what the next picture is of.

------------

This is a close picture of the area im talking about.

------------
Ok so now you know what part Im tallking about here's the picture

Alright now I chipped away alot of that black stuff/tape with my finger nail to make sure it was chrome, and as you can see the pillar is connected to the chrome part that runs down below the window and all the way around back to the top of the pillar.
Conclusion: The pillar + chrome around the window is one piece. I guess the lexus designers thought it would be to much chrome so the covered the pillars with black tape instead of using a plastic piece.
<No need to worry about rusting, now we just need to figure out how to safely remove the tape with out harming the chrome>
So if I am correct, which I think I am then thats good news for us!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ok so after that I decided to check out the window shield pillars.

As you can see under the pillars are chrome, the Lexus people just covered up the top of the window pillars with the black tape to decreases the amount of chrome of the car.
------------------------

Here's a close up with the flash at night, it shows how the whole piece is made of chrome.

Conclusion: The chrome on the pillars won't rust either since alot of the chrome is exposed with the black tape on it, you just dont see it.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So we just need to find a way to safely remove the black tape from the chrome.

P.S.

Sorry for typo's , watching game 6 of the astros vs cards. Come onnnnn astros
Old 10-19-05, 06:27 PM
TJW98LS
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

This is I good thing to know. But reguardless of how you remove the tape, I think it would be a very long process.
Old 10-19-05, 06:41 PM
TJW98LS
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Wait nvm, I just went to observe my LS and it seems to be that the pillars are a different piece!
Old 10-19-05, 06:54 PM
Luxury_LEX
Driver

Your right I just took a picture of the diffrence in my father's 98 and my 94

^ 1994

^ 1998
Notice the line?

I bought a gold trunk lexus badge emblem "L" from lextasy.com and its not large enough to cover up the holes from the orignal emblem..... god.

Last edited by Luxury_LEX; 10-19-05 at 07:22 PM.
Old 10-20-05, 07:11 AM
Celsior2K5
Driver

Exclamation

Originally Posted by Luxury_LEX
I bought a gold trunk lexus badge emblem "L" from lextasy.com and its not large enough to cover up the holes from the orignal emblem..... god.
Lextasy.com is terrible when it comes to getting the right parts at the right prices. You're gonna wanna go through my sponsor LuxuryMods.com

They have MORE stuff (and the same stuff as Lextasy.com) at a FRACTION of the price of what Lextasy.com sells their products for.

Example: Lextasy.com sells the 90-94 LS 400 red/clear taillight lenses for $270 and LuxuryMods.com sells theirs for $200 (both prices are including shipping)!

Leo, the owner of LuxuryMods.com, may even be able to lower that price even more if you talk to him. There are even larger price differences between Lextasy.com and LuxuryMods.com on certain other products.

Do NOT buy from Lextasy.com...their prices are OUTRAGEOUS!

Just a thoughtful reminder from your friendly neighborhood Lexus owner.
Old 10-20-05, 08:47 AM
Luxury_LEX
Driver

Yes I do know that but I couldnt find that gold trunk badge on your site for sale. All I could find was the package for like $270. I still need the grill one if you guys have that.
Old 10-20-05, 09:24 AM
EXE.UCF10
VIP|EXEstyle セルシオ

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

You should've checked the Classifieds forum before buying from them :

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=114752
Old 10-23-05, 12:46 PM
Luxury_LEX
Driver

anyone try to remove it???

mabey talk to the people at your local lexus dealership?
Old 10-23-05, 09:33 PM
Celsior2K5
Driver

Exclamation

anyone try to remove it???

mabey talk to the people at your local lexus dealership?
From my experience, they can't do anything except sell Lexus. I've come across many that actually don't even REALIZE what they're selling. So sorry for them.
Old 10-23-05, 10:59 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

lmao, its funny coz its true. last car we bought i knew more about it than the guy tryin to sell it to us. and it was a CAMRY!!??!!
Old 10-26-05, 11:13 PM
PVSLS400
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

film is comming off but leaving sticky residue behind any suggestions on removal?
Attached Thumbnails Chrome pillars underneath black on 91 LS...-400.jpg  
Old 10-26-05, 11:54 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Gunk??????
Old 10-28-05, 03:39 PM
PVSLS400
Pole Position

Alright guys, it is done but a few things to note i did not use a heat gun due to possible damage to window strip so i did it the hard way cold. i started at the bottom of a pillar and worked my way up due to the way the strip goes around the molding behind the window trim and used a new razor blade to start it and cut it away from window anyway long story short film came off no problem took 1.5 hrs whole car to do this, but then ran into the glue not coming off the pillar so i went to ACE and bought a heavy duty paint/ glue stripper called MEK that is the short term name .It is with paint thinner and ect. this process took the longest it took 4 hrs to get glue off (you can use a razor blade to get off glue because this product does not disolve it it tacks it up so you can scrape it off) Dont worry about scratching the pillar because it is not pollished anyway which is the next step i need to do, but it looks awesome without pollishing at a distance.
Attached Thumbnails Chrome pillars underneath black on 91 LS...-pillar.jpg  
Old 10-28-05, 03:41 PM
PVSLS400
Pole Position

pic 2 with glue on still
Attached Thumbnails Chrome pillars underneath black on 91 LS...-pillar2.jpg  
Old 10-28-05, 03:42 PM
PVSLS400
Pole Position

finished job
Attached Thumbnails Chrome pillars underneath black on 91 LS...-pillar-3.jpg  

Quick Reply: Chrome pillars underneath black on 91 LS...