LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Why are Lexus vehicles so (too??) expensive? (more)

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-05, 02:48 PM
dfkd
Intermediate

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

He is so trolling!

I did notice though, that people at the MB forum had a lot less to offer to back their cars in the debate. Most of them cited "German Engeneering Excellence" and the fact that foreign diplomats drive them which is obviously opinion based.

Bill Gates drives Lexus!!! lol

The comparison from "Inside Japan" was also funny because it's a dumb arguement.

It comes down to this...Status comes in owning something that wasn't made where you live. In the US it's German or Japanese. In Japan it's US or German. Any surprise that all the big clothing designers here are from Europe too.

Fact is that status is relative to the country so what you drive where means nothing status-wise.

I base quality on...quality and track record, not on what the Saudi king drives.

Sad that that was the best arguement they had at MB forum.
The King drives it because it is expensive and it's only expensive because of the shipping prices. Doesnt mean squat for the car quality.
Old 12-01-05, 03:35 PM
PHX ATC
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

rjm - you got it!

I think his feelings got hurt when the trolling post was exposed over at MBWorld. Wait, he said they weren't hurt, but his credibility was harmed. Whatever!

Interesting arguments on both forums though. Quite spirited over at the MB forums.
Old 12-01-05, 06:59 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 470 Likes on 362 Posts

TLW

Here is one I have:

We got sucked into this one.
Old 12-01-05, 08:11 PM
Righteous
Driver School Candidate

Having read only a few topics on this thread. I will have to say I switched to Lexus from MB and BMW.
Old 12-02-05, 05:00 AM
JWS3
Pole Position

Default Whoever started this thread is a troll- He copied MY original post on MB world (more)

Originally Posted by rjm
This guy is a TROLL guys. He posted the EXACT SAME POST over on the Mercedes Forum (MBWorld Discussion Forum). Here is the link:

http://forums.mbworld.org/forums/sho...8&page=1&pp=50
semi copied my screen name as well.

I am the "JWS3" on mbworld.org who started the original thread over on the MB board. You can imagine my annoyance when I saw posts suddenly accusing me of being a "troll" for posting almost the exact same thing on this LS430 board under almost the exact same screen name.

Allow me to state for the record that I am not the one who started this thread here. While the question I originally posed over on mbworld may or may not be equally valid here, I don't appreciate someone hijacking my identity, so to speak.

I have reported this thread to the webmaster here. If anyone knows of a way to ID the poster's IP address, etc or otherwise x-reference it with the usual suspects here or on mbworld please let me know.

Last edited by JWS3; 12-02-05 at 10:22 AM.
Old 12-02-05, 08:14 AM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 337 Likes on 290 Posts

i cant believe the utter rubbish that i read from some of the ppl on that MB forum, it seems like eveyone is tooting their own whisle and MB is gods gift to all us lowlifes.i would buy a benz b/c i like some of the cars and the prestige factor, but i would never have the attitude that we're better than eveyon else
Old 12-02-05, 09:15 AM
JWS3
Pole Position

Default Very good point-which is precisely why I am beginning to sour on MB (m)

Originally Posted by sha4000
i cant believe the utter rubbish that i read from some of the ppl on that MB forum, it seems like eveyone is tooting their own whisle and MB is gods gift to all us lowlifes.i would buy a benz b/c i like some of the cars and the prestige factor, but i would never have the attitude that we're better than eveyon else
I am finding the snobby behavior too often associated with MB owners to be a turn off.
Old 12-02-05, 09:55 AM
PHX ATC
Rookie

Don't let the 'tude of some MB owners turn you off from the actual car. MB builds a good product, just like Lexus. Get what you wish and roll with it!
Old 12-02-05, 10:12 AM
caffeine
Rookie

Troll or not this was a very intresting topic and I am glad to have seen it started. =)
Old 12-02-05, 03:43 PM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 337 Likes on 290 Posts

Originally Posted by PHX ATC
Don't let the 'tude of some MB owners turn you off from the actual car. MB builds a good product, just like Lexus. Get what you wish and roll with it!
i would still purchase a CLS i just wouldnt have that kind of attitude
Old 12-15-05, 01:39 PM
mtaalib3
Driver

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
Default reliability counts

i don't know about you guys but personally i have come to rely on consumer reports as a reliable source for just about any product i am considering to buy. aside from the prestige factor associated with mbz or bmw i think reliability really counts more than anything else. who wants to own a high-end vehicle that spends a great deal of it's life in the repair bay? for those of you thinking about buying any vehicle, i recommend you do your homework first. check out consumer reports and you will get a good idea of what problems you can expect from your new purchase. honestly, when i see anyone driving a mbz or 7 series bmw (the 3 and 5 series are pretty reliable) i wonder how often they have been back to see their mechanic.
Old 12-15-05, 03:22 PM
PHX ATC
Rookie

Consumer Reports rag is the last thing I would base a car purchasing decision on. Each to their own, but if that's the only thing you're basing a decision on, you need to expand your horizons. It's good info, but needs to be taken with a grain of salt, just like any other source of information. I'm not bashing on you, but maybe for vacuums and coffee makers, CR would be a good source of purchasing decision making information.

Drive what you like. If it sucks, get something else you like and drive it.
Old 12-15-05, 05:48 PM
LexLaw
Lexus Champion

Well said!! I definitely enjoyed reading this post, as it gave us some interesting points/opinions. Which to me, is the foundation of any good forum. (especially when done respectfully)
Old 12-15-05, 09:40 PM
mtaalib3
Driver

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Consumer Reports rag is the last thing I would base a car purchasing decision on. Each to their own, but if that's the only thing you're basing a decision on, you need to expand your horizons. It's good info, but needs to be taken with a grain of salt, just like any other source of information. I'm not bashing on you, but maybe for vacuums and coffee makers, CR would be a good source of purchasing decision making information.

well consumer reports base their rating on unbiased tests. as far as used cars are concerned it was my understanding that their ratings are based on USER response. that means that people are actually having problems or good experiences with the cars they brought. also, i have talked with several different people about mercedes and everyone has had unexpected/unnecessary problems with all their classes from c to s. the people i know who own bmw own either a 3 or 5 series. i hear they are pretty reliable which happens to be consistent with cr's rating of those model cars. besides, it does not mean that every single car or blender or camera from x-name manufacturer will have a problem. it just means that one brand or model of blender or car from a given manufacturer is more likely to have problems in a given area. afterall, how can you tell how reliable a car will be when it is just sitting at the dealer? how can you tell how reliable it will be after a single test drive? have you ever know a dealer to allow any of their customers to test drive a 10 year-old model anything, then say look at how reliable this x-brand car is. fyi, i work for jpmorgan chase in the auto finance department. i talk to hundreds of people with different model cars.
Old 12-16-05, 06:39 AM
PHX ATC
Rookie

Congrats on your job, that would be interesting, chatting up people about their car experiences, both good and bad.

Buying any car is a gamble, no matter what the brand, year, options list, etc. When you see my wife driving her MB, keep thinking to yourself how often she visits the dealership for issues. I'll keep it a secret so you can keep wondering.

Have you checked out the WSJ article on MB and their suffering quality issues and being overthrown in the overall sales numbers department by BMW? Interesting read, check it out.

Quick Reply: Why are Lexus vehicles so (too??) expensive? (more)