LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

After Market NAV, wood dash kit

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-05, 05:59 PM
TJW98LS
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default After Market NAV, wood dash kit

Ok so I am in a debate here. I am thinking of either putting in an aftermarket navigation system, or keeping it stock and putting a wood dash kit on the radio, CD box cover, AC vents ect.

Does anyone know of an aftermarket Navigation that will fit in the dash of the LS400 no problem?

Does anyone approve of the dash kits you can buy??
Old 12-08-05, 08:11 PM
MadMax96
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't think there are any aftermarket Nav systems that accomodate the dash - assuming you mean the spot where the radio currently is. The only thing I can think of is one of those Pioneer or Kenwood systems with the folding screens like this.

I, too, would like to be able to integrate a double din screen like this Kenwood model - but I don't think the space left by the OEM stereo is tall enough (haven't confirmed this).

BUT - nearly anything is possible if you want to throw the $$ at it!

And as far as wood goes - I think the wood dash kit is just too much wood.
Old 12-08-05, 09:14 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 96 Likes on 88 Posts

throw an AVIC-D1 at it.
Old 12-08-05, 09:48 PM
TJW98LS
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
throw an AVIC-D1 at it.
So you believe that would fit in there?
Old 12-08-05, 09:56 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

this is in a GS but u get the idea.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...hlight=AVIC-D1
Old 12-08-05, 11:09 PM
JDMUSCLE
Lexus Test Driver

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

hey man...when i had my previous LS400 i had a eclipse dvd flip screen integrated into the ashtray....fits like a glove. at that time i didnt wanna remove my factory radio...but now i think imma opt for the eclipse touch screen that fits the stock radio part with a little bit of space on either side , any good stereo shop could make you a custom enclosure to fit those double din head units which open to reveal the dvd slot or the cd slot.
Old 12-09-05, 06:10 AM
MadMax96
Lexus Test Driver

this is in a GS but u get the idea.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...hlight=AVIC-D1
That looks sweet! Was that trim plate custom made or are there ones available for a 98-00 LS as well?

Don't have the $$ to do it now - but I would like to know if it's something I can start saving for.
Old 12-10-05, 02:31 PM
cartechpr
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

honestly the only way would be to use a factory unit that replaces the A/C system and such.. can it be retrofitted if one got the OEM NAV unit? the Radio is decent? One could install a vaistech and have Ipod integration and be done with the CD changer... is the CD changer the same for the Nav unit as the Nakamichi unit?

Let me know

Thanks

Last edited by cartechpr; 12-10-05 at 02:34 PM.
Old 12-10-05, 03:54 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

its just insane to try and retrofit the factory DVD into a non-nav car. there are MANY components and none come cheap. urd be looking at about 2-3k easy for used parts.

Mdmax-im pretty sure ur local stereo shop could fab up some trim plates but if they do, have them move the AC controls down and put the AVIC on top.
Old 12-13-05, 08:29 AM
caffeine
Rookie

If anyone sucessfully installs NAV in their LS I would love to see some pictures of the install.

I want Navigation so bad that I seriously considered selling my LS400 to get a Civic with Navigation...then I realized I was an idiot. But for that 10 minutes, I thought about it!
Old 12-13-05, 10:19 AM
MadMax96
Lexus Test Driver

its just insane to try and retrofit the factory DVD into a non-nav car. there are MANY components and none come cheap. urd be looking at about 2-3k easy for used parts.

Mdmax-im pretty sure ur local stereo shop could fab up some trim plates but if they do, have them move the AC controls down and put the AVIC on top.
Not too worried about doing this - only because cashflow is non-existant. I kinda like the stereo where it is now...

Just thought I'd throw this out there, but for someone who has the non-Nak system like me, would I have to worry about amps or anything goofy if I was to swap out the stock head unit? I've done several stereo installs, but nothing where it required anything other than making the standard connections on a harness.
Old 12-13-05, 11:37 AM
GR8DNA
Driver School Candidate

go for the pioneer avn2?

its the newer version of the avn...2whatever...all i knows when i get me another credit card and i find a pioneer avicn2...what the hell ever they call it...i am getting it! the gps on them things is faster than the nav on a 04M5...seen em compared! now i dont think u need to mess with amps and stuff to switch radio, but my old nissan 240 (god bless) had 2 amps from the factory but when some1 tried to put in a sony (yuck) radio, they got a cheapo amp too...thenm i added some good speakers and a sony xplode for a little boom....none of that garbage in the lex though! so i guess i have the same question...when i swap out my radio to the pioneer am i gonna nees a new amp and sub woofer setup? OOOOHHHH
i think i thought i saw a post about a custom subwoofer bracket to accomodate a bigger sub?!?!

and while i am typing...HOW CAN I GAIN ANOTHER 100 HP OR SO WITHOUT A SUPERCHARGER OF NOS?...i know i know...intake, exhaust, but who has what and how is it? i wanna compare! so people....HIT ME UP!
Old 12-13-05, 12:48 PM
vicpai
Pole Position

Exclamation You're not an idiot but a very wise person....

Originally Posted by caffeine
If anyone sucessfully installs NAV in their LS I would love to see some pictures of the install.

I want Navigation so bad that I seriously considered selling my LS400 to get a Civic with Navigation...then I realized I was an idiot. But for that 10 minutes, I thought about it!
.....I too thought the exact same thing (just for a moment ) .....the Acura/Honda Navigation system is THE ABSOLUTE BEST Navigation system available, PERIOD (whether it's aftermarket, OEM or whatever) ....Out of the Honda Navs, the CIVIC Nav system is the "best" IN SOME WAYS ....it's built on the "next-generation" of Alpine Nav systems (version 6.11) and is simly amazing in it's accuracy, speed, comprehensiveness of data (both mapping and POIs), hyper-efficient search engine for the massive database....and the list goes on and on. .....However, OVERALL the ACURA RL Nav system is the top-of-the-line in the Honda lineup (with it's XM NAVTRAFFIC, ZAGAT RATING GUIDE, and voice recognition ( one that ACTUALLY works ) that has over 600 voice commands!!!

I miss the Acura Nav I had on my MDX sooooo much, that I did the next closest thing, short of going to the dealership and buying an Acura RL...... Installed the latest from ALPINE, the NVE-N872A (virtually identical aftermarket version of their Nav from the Acura RL, XM NAVTRAFFIC and all!....although it is SLIGHTLY watered down from the OEM/Factory system - less voice commands etc.) I've had it for a week and it's simply amazing...the accuracy and "tracking" are unbelievable!!

The NAVTRAFFIC MODULE is not yet available. Will be out in a couple months (Jan or Feb)

see my post over on the other board:

http://www.acuramdx.org/forums/showt...threadid=23218

I've been real busy lately, but in a few days when I get a chance I will post pics of my install of the Nav and backup camera

Last edited by vicpai; 12-13-05 at 12:54 PM.
Old 12-19-05, 09:54 AM
caffeine
Rookie

Thanks for the reply Vic, I am defientely looking forward to seeing the pictures of the install! The Alpine NVE-N872A was actually the exact Navigation unit I was looking into! I love the fact that it has a Zagat Guide, and the real time traffic reports with rerouting.

Is there a monthly charge for the Zagat Guide or the Traffic reports?
Old 12-19-05, 10:47 AM
MadMax96
Lexus Test Driver

The traffic info is supplied by XM satellite radio...so there is an extra charge for that. If you already have XM service it's an inexpensive add-on whereas if you did the XM traffic only, the charge per month is a little higher. Not sure on prices but I'm pretty sure it's under $10/mo and closer to $6 if you already have XM radio.

Not sure about the Zagat guide however... if this is something that is continually updated I would imagine there would be a charge somewhere!

Quick Reply: After Market NAV, wood dash kit