LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Lexus Phone

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-01, 10:22 PM
petrojeff
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Well. here are some of my thoughts. You are receiving approximately $2500 back from Lexus. With that kind of money you should be able to afford a 24K gold plated hands free phone that should play the star spangled banner and translate it in Farsi! Look in your yellow pages for the best custom car stereo shop in town. Call them or go down and see them, talk to the guys about custom cell phone installations. I'm sure you will find some bright guys with innovative ways to spend your $2500 and get the kind of phone and service that you want.

Option#2
Have a hands free cell phone installed for about $300 take the remaining $ and buy new car parts to replace the ones they drill into. When you get rid of the car replace the drilled parts.
Old 09-24-01, 09:33 PM
Stephen
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I saw a REALLY Swift install of a phone onto the console of a 95-97 LS400 in a parking lot the other day. There was a interior covered leather surround that the phone cup was custom installed into.

It looked great.
Old 09-26-01, 07:34 PM
New Owner
Rookie

Motorola's #S6965 complete handsfree + speaker + external mic + antenna installation is about as good as it gets. This is roughly a $250 option + the cost of a StarTac handset plus installation costs. Of course here the key to your satisfaction will ultimately be with the quality of the install. And you're right, you don't want some teenager doing it.

Arguably your best install will be at a Motorola 2-way service shop, not your corner cellular store. Check with your local PD or Fire Dept for where they have their 2-way gear installed

And no, this isn't going to get you steering wheel integrated controls, but its about the next best thing. The only holes drilled are for the stanchion mount, which anchors into the right side of the console, but below the carpet line. Properly done there's no visible holes, even after removal. The mount is not in the way of your passenger.

Alas, this is only available for the StarTac series phones. I have not yet seen anything equivalent for the new Motorola v.60 phone.
Old 10-02-01, 03:29 PM
c_irie
Driver

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts
Cool

I replaced my analog phone with a GSM phone system for the P7389 tri-mode phone and it works great the reason I chose GSM was that it is the most universal technology available, the SIM allows the flexibility of changing the phone without going through the cell dealers, the car kit has the features such as radio mute which works with the lexus radio. I was able to reuse the factory wiring for the power and microphone though I replaced the mic in the steering wheel with the one that came in the kit and they fit perfectly ...of course the features such as steering wheel controled dialing and volume control were lost but that was not a big deal for me the s8543 Car Kit of itself cost me 150.00 and the phone cost about 105 dollars, a terk dual mode antenna cost 22.00 misc electrical components (connectors, wire, project box etc) about 50.00 and I installed it myself so they were no installation cost (the miscellaneous components were only used because I wanted to install the control box in the trunk vice under the seat as suggested by the manufacturer)
Old 10-02-01, 08:34 PM
tiger430
Driver School Candidate

Default To c irie

C irie---You must be talking about a pre-2001 LS. All that is available on the 2001 models is the Sprint PCS system--not an analog. I must also tell you that all the abbreviations in you post leave me without much help. If your system works for the 2001, then I want to know more! Please expand with less abreviations. Thanx.
Old 10-02-01, 08:36 PM
tiger430
Driver School Candidate

Originally posted by c_irie
I replaced my analog phone with a GSM phone system for the P7389 tri-mode phone and it works great the reason I chose GSM was that it is the most universal technology available, the SIM allows the flexibility of changing the phone without going through the cell dealers, the car kit has the features such as radio mute which works with the lexus radio. I was able to reuse the factory wiring for the power and microphone though I replaced the mic in the steering wheel with the one that came in the kit and they fit perfectly ...of course the features such as steering wheel controled dialing and volume control were lost but that was not a big deal for me the s8543 Car Kit of itself cost me 150.00 and the phone cost about 105 dollars, a terk dual mode antenna cost 22.00 misc electrical components (connectors, wire, project box etc) about 50.00 and I installed it myself so they were no installation cost (the miscellaneous components were only used because I wanted to install the control box in the trunk vice under the seat as suggested by the manufacturer)
Please see my reply in the forum.
Old 10-03-01, 05:36 PM
c_irie
Driver

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm not sure which abbreviations are not clear but here goes

GSM is the pan-European standard for digital cellular telephone service. It is also one of the technologies available in the Americas(voicestream, cingular). GSM was designed for markets to provide the advantage of automatic, international roaming in multiple countries. The SIM (Subscriber Identification Module) card is a vital component in GSM operation. The user can store all relevant data for the phone on a removable plastic card. The card can be plugged into any GSM compatible phone and the phone is instantly personalized to the user.

The S8543 is the model of the motorola handsfree car kit for the P7389 or p7389i phones which can be purchased unlocked for 108.00 that way if you are so lucky as to have service through voicestream or cingular already (AT & T in some areas as well) all you would have to do is take the SIM from one phone and put it in the other also if you travel overseas you can purchase a prepaid SIM in that country or activate the international roaming and you are good to go just switch to the countries band which is why the phone is trimode (900, 1800, 1900 mhz network)

the phone and the handsfree kit features can be reviewed at the motorola website as well as thier other kits that probably have most of the features that you desire and match what ever service you are with currently and suits your lifestyle

I almost forgot, that is correct i did not have the sprint phone, my car is a 94 SC400 and had the analog system installed but like I said the only features that I have lost is the steering wheel controls other than that everything looks the same and sounds just as good as the factory system (the hangup cups even have the same foot print)... I'd leave the 2500 dollar lexus installed system and look elsewhere
Old 10-03-01, 06:52 PM
tiger430
Driver School Candidate

Default To c irie

C irie---Thank you for your reply. In reading your post, I decided to use my search engine and had come up with a good bit of your info. I just got the LS back with a new phone (still Sprint--ugh) and it is somewhat better. Of course I still have to stop the car to dial a number and the dual mode which goes to analog when the Sprint signal goes away (often) is still not too good. Supposedly this new phone is the "fix" I've been waiting for, but it still leaves a lot to be desired. I also have a 2001 GS430 that has no phone except my hand held Startac (analog). I am now actively in the market/research phase of trying to come up with a hands free phone kit that is analog that I can bury in the center console and not drill the dash. Am thinking of trying the Motorola s7425 (or ? is it 7426) kit which looks from the picture as though you plug in your Startac at a remote site and they provide you with another handset, ext. mike and speaker. This will take the Startac up to a full 3 watts power. Digital service from all the companies here is awful and I must stay with analog for now, which is quite good with almost universal coverage. My wife drives the LS and I think she will stay with the Lexus phone. ? any thoughts from you or others will be appreciated.
Old 06-13-03, 07:05 PM
hmorse
10th Gear

I had the new phone installed in my 2003 LS 430 Ultra then had it removed because I was disgusted with this piece of poor planned junk. I did receive a full credit, but of course I had already purchased the phone needed for the system and a service plan for which there was NO credit!