LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

94 LS- Ipod hookup

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-07, 10:39 AM
awhiteguy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here is the post you were looking for dfkd. Mod works great, I use it everyday!

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...90&postcount=6
Old 01-12-07, 01:13 PM
tcho82
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The way I did it was buy a sony xplod head unit with a REAR auxillary input. I then bought the harmon kardon drive and play system and plugged it into the Sony input. Sony deck was $130, mount kit $30, harmon kardon system $50(ebay).

So all in all about $200 for a very clean sounding ipod install.

Also if you want to go the cheaper route. I also had the Harmon Kardon system hooked up to the factory deck through a wired fm transmitter. Its a plug that plugs in the factory antenna and then into the stock head unit so you get a very clean FM signal. I never got static, and I live in a pretty populated area. No static, but since its FM its not going to be CD quality, but it was pretty decent quality nonetheless.
Old 01-22-07, 11:47 AM
akxx
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
that threads in the audio forum.

theres a better way of doing it involving using a DPDT relay and SPST switch to just disconnect the cd changer and engage the aux input so theres no noise.
This sounds intriguing--tutorial or more specifics?
Actually, wouldn't a simple mechanical switch located in the armrest console serve the same purpose? (Toggle b/w CD input and aux input wires)

BTW--love the avatar PureDrifter!
Old 01-22-07, 03:47 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 96 Likes on 88 Posts

if u wait a couple more weeks (just waiting for finals to end and last few parts to arrive) il have a working aux input solution for all LS400s (89-00).

only downside with my approach will be that you will need to slightly chop up the factory harness.
Old 01-23-07, 09:26 AM
akxx
Lead Lap

Sounds good!

Chop chop! I'm assuming this would involve cutting the CD L/R inputs to the head unit, and then routing it to the switch setup so that you can hide a switch in the center console to flip between CD changer input and aux jack...right?
Old 01-23-07, 12:13 PM
Alan D
Driver

if u wait a couple more weeks (just waiting for finals to end and last few parts to arrive) il have a working aux input solution for all LS400s (89-00).

only downside with my approach will be that you will need to slightly chop up the factory harness.

Hurry up and ace those tests! This sounds interesting.
Old 01-23-07, 03:24 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 96 Likes on 88 Posts

close but no cigar

im waiting for the last few bits to arrive in the mail (stupid USPS )
Old 01-23-07, 03:46 PM
akxx
Lead Lap

PD--don't get too crazy extravagant on us now--we need to be able to replicate it, too!
Old 01-25-07, 10:34 AM
wpai
Driver School Candidate

I just hooked up an earphone jack to the CD(R,L) inputs. I was then able to listen to all MP3 or whatever devices with an earphone plug. Run the wire under gear shaft cover so it looks clean. Sound is of CD quality and no noise at all. If you burn a blank CD it will run great, or you will hear sound breaks at the end of each song.
I've done this in 20 minutes and the component cost is ZERO. A very worthwhile job. :^) My car is 1992 LS400.
Old 01-25-07, 10:38 AM
akxx
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by wpai
I just hooked up an earphone jack to the CD(R,L) inputs. I was then able to listen to all MP3 or whatever devices with an earphone plug. Run the wire under gear shaft cover so it looks clean. Sound is of CD quality and no noise at all. If you burn a blank CD it will run great, or you will hear sound breaks at the end of each song.
I've done this in 20 minutes and the component cost is ZERO. A very worthwhile job. :^) My car is 1992 LS400.
WPAI--this is what I was going to do until PureDrifter teased us with the promise of another alternative that does not require a blank CD.

To clarify, did you tap the CD L/R wire at the back of the head unit, or can they be found running under the center console--which is where I want to locate my aux jack? (Obviously we're talking 1st Gen LS here, with CD changer in trunk--I'd like to know how the CD changer wiring is routed through the cabin to the head unit)

Last edited by akxx; 01-25-07 at 10:43 AM.
Old 01-25-07, 10:52 AM
omarg
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

You are my savior! I have had the worst luck with my pioneer cassette players (total of 6 bought and ALL were bad! plus the two in the cars that were already bad) (Don't worry i got my money back!). I refuse to go with an aftermarket H/U(too ugly) and neither cars came with cd changers. I hope this truly is for ALL LS400's not just ones with cd changers. PLEASE. I hate the radio. Its so bad.
Old 01-25-07, 12:03 PM
wpai
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by akxx
WPAI--this is what I was going to do until PureDrifter teased us with the promise of another alternative that does not require a blank CD.

To clarify, did you tap the CD L/R wire at the back of the head unit, or can they be found running under the center console--which is where I want to locate my aux jack? (Obviously we're talking 1st Gen LS here, with CD changer in trunk--I'd like to know how the CD changer wiring is routed through the cabin to the head unit)
Ya, the CD L/R inputs are at the back of the head units. There are separate CD L/R ground input pins too, and you want to use both. Just run your earphone jack line in parallel with the CD input lines. No need to cut existing wires. There is no separate AUX jack and all CD input pins are in a multipin connector. You can find the wire diagram here:
http://arrc.epnet.com/autoasp/listve...=LEXUS&md=1992

Good luck. This is really a simple fix and it works like charm and is very convenient. When I plug in my iPod then it plays my favorites. Unplug it then it plays the songs in the CD changer.
Old 01-25-07, 01:53 PM
Lexucan
Lexucanafer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Humorous headline in the New York Times Automotive section this week:

What's the coolest way to accessorize an iPod? - Buy it a car.

wpai: I assume your solution would work just as well for a second generation ES300 ? BTW, the link you posted for the wiring diagram doesn't work.
Old 01-25-07, 05:45 PM
wpai
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Lexucan
Humorous headline in the New York Times Automotive section this week:

What's the coolest way to accessorize an iPod? - Buy it a car.

wpai: I assume your solution would work just as well for a second generation ES300 ? BTW, the link you posted for the wiring diagram doesn't work.
Oops. Sorry. The URL should be
http://www.bedlib.org/ebsco.html
I don't know about ES300 but you can check whether there is a sound wire diagram.
Old 01-25-07, 11:38 PM
Lexucan
Lexucanafer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by wpai
Oops. Sorry. The URL should be
http://www.bedlib.org/ebsco.html
I don't know about ES300 but you can check whether there is a sound wire diagram.
Thanks, that link works. Lots of great info!
Like akxx, I'd prefer to have my aux jack located neatly out of sight in the center console. Just need to know if the CD changer (which is located in the trunk on the 2gen. ES as well) inputs are accessible from the area of the C. console (do the wires run under it?) or will the headunit need to be removed to connect the aux jack to the back of it.

Quick Reply: 94 LS- Ipod hookup