LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

'96 Lexus cellphone

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-01, 06:50 PM
rtravis
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I have not had the phone activated in this LS400 Lexus. It is original equipment and seems to be in good condition. What is anyone's opinion on this phone? This is the factory phone with steering wheel controls.

Thanks,
Old 08-23-01, 07:18 PM
Phil
Driver

Originally posted by rtravis
I have not had the phone activated in this LS400 Lexus. It is original equipment and seems to be in good condition. What is anyone's opinion on this phone? This is the factory phone with steering wheel controls.

Thanks,
My 1990 LS400 had the installed phone (in center consul). It worked excellently! I really liked the steering wheel controls, etc. Best system I have seen. When my 'on order' 2002 LS 430 comes in, I can compare the phone with my previous one. You should be happy with what you have, that is for sure.

Phil

Last edited by Phil; 08-24-01 at 08:11 AM.
Old 08-23-01, 07:51 PM
LOTC
VIP 様式

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow steering wheel controls as well, dang sucks that mine does'nt have the phone option.
Old 08-24-01, 04:13 AM
New Owner
Rookie

Not to rain on your parade, but just a mere reminder that this phone is *ANALOG* and hence quite easily cloned (ESN stolen while the phone is in operation). You could be unpleasantly surprised some day by a huge bill for a lot of calls you didn't make. I'd suggest keeping the phone turned off except when in use.

My '96 also has the integrated phone and yes, the steering wheel controls are nice. However, my phone works poorly. I'm in a major market (Houston) and you'd think there'd be better coverage, but there's not. The problem is it's analog and most of the cell sites are for digital service.

By contrast, my new digital Motorola V.60 phone works flawlessly, although not integrated into the car, sigh...
Old 08-24-01, 11:00 AM
LOTC
VIP 様式

Wow all these problems from the Lexus phone,I guess it was not as good as it sounded.

I guess I will just stick with my Nokia on car phone holder.
Old 08-24-01, 04:46 PM
New Owner
Rookie

At the time this particular model of *ANALOG* cell phone was popular, the national cellular phone infrastructure was all analog. The phones worked reasonably well for the time (normal analog cell phone limitations notwithstanding). However, today analog cellular service has in large part given way to digital service at least in the major market areas.

I initially jumped through hoops trying to get my Portable Plus Lexus phone fixed. Then when I finally did I suddenly realized (woke up to the fact) that the phone is analog and I dare not leave it turned on lest the bad guys get my ESN. So now it's in the car and serviceable but we never use it and it's always off. It would be just as useful if I cancelled the service (it's on a buddy plan with my digital service).

The full hands-free integration into the steering wheel is certainly a plus, but unfortunately (IMO) outweighed by the negative aspects of analog service in general.

Just my 2¢ worth on the matter.

Last edited by New Owner; 08-24-01 at 04:49 PM.
Old 08-24-01, 07:57 PM
LOTC
VIP 様式

Just courious,how much does the Lexus phone plan cost a month? Are their different programs to buy
Old 08-25-01, 04:14 PM
New Owner
Rookie

Not sure what you mean by "Lexus phone plan". I have an ordinary inexpensive, low-end plan with my digital phone, $35 a month for 350 anytime/anywhere minutes including free LD originating from anywhere within Texas. (Cingular Wireless). I added my Lexus analog phone to this same plan for an additional $10 a month but now think that I'm going to cancel the Lexus phone for the aforementioned reasons, poor coverage & no protection against fraud.

Whether I have a valid subscription or not, the Lexus phone can still be used to place "911" calls. Without a subscription I am in no peril from fraudulent calls. With an unregistered ESN nobody can use it to call anywhere except 611 (customer service) and 911.

In Houston you cannot get analog service unless you already subscribe to digital. They will not sell analog service by itself anymore. But with digital service you can add a 2nd phone, any phone, even analog, on what's known as a family share or buddy plan where two phones share the same pool of minutes. The charge for the 2nd phone is $10 a month.