LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

LS400 Power Steering Leaks?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-01, 01:55 PM
petrojeff
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Was fixing the dash today, and went to start my 92 LS400. Looked out the back end and saw white smoke. Sh...t, I know I have been leaking fluid from the PS pump. BK stealth, I'm a little confused. Do I call your junkyard man and get full PS pump and get valve from Toyota? I'm not quite clear on this. Appreciate the help!
Old 09-21-01, 08:13 PM
blkstealthpaid4
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default I have two pumps set side for anyone

Anytime you buy the pump new it does not come with the valve.Your best bet is the junkyard if you want to save money.The valve itself is $260.
I have two extra pumps set aside incase anyone one here needs it.This pump comes with the valve you need.You only need to install the valve.Just make me an offer.
Old 09-21-01, 10:17 PM
retrodrive
Search Function Inc.

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

how much do you sell that for?
Old 09-22-01, 03:33 AM
blkstealthpaid4
Advanced

Default just email me personally with an offer

henboy1@juno.com
Old 09-25-01, 06:44 PM
fantomd
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Hey guys I got my pump from Blkstealth yesterday . I will install it this weekend and let you guys know how it works out.
Thanks Stealth.
P.S. Guy that have the smoke coming from the exhaust. I removed the two hoses from the p/s pump that went to the engine. No more smoke. But you will still lose fluid from the pump and it will come out one of those hoses. But you wont get smoke coming from the back of your Lex. One other small problem will be that you will get a very slight rough idle when waiting at a red light. This is only if you are not using the A/C. So good luck to all
Peace
Old 09-28-01, 06:30 AM
blkstealthpaid4
Advanced

Default You are welcome!

Let me know if you need any other part and let us know how the install goes.
I am also expecting a money order today to ship out an upper control arm.
Old 09-29-01, 12:17 PM
fantomd
Driver School Candidate

Smile

Guys I did it and it works fine. It took me around 3 hrs!!! I could have done it quicker but I had to make a run to the auto parts store for a new hose... Blkstealth came thru , I just replaced the valve and no leaks and no smoke. If anyone wants I will post exactly how to do it . It should take around 2 hrs now that I have done it once. The hardest part is gaining access to the valve, you have to remove the altenator to get to the valve and then it is easy from there.

So once again thanks blkstealth, you saved me a ton of money

Old 10-08-01, 03:02 PM
rrajbhan
Driver School Candidate

Default about the valve install

I'd be interested in knowing how your installed the valve!

Thanks,
Rajan
Old 10-08-01, 04:46 PM
healerhand
Lead Lap

I just got a re-manifature power steering pump for $179 without tax. The OEM power steering pump is $570. If you are interested, please let me know. I will try to help get on. It has one year warrentee. Take care
Old 10-08-01, 04:59 PM
fantomd
Driver School Candidate

Hey Rajan here is how I did it. You will need to jack the car up and from underneath loosen the alternator from the engine ( there are only two bolts to loosen) . Make sure you have removed the neg cable from the battery. You dont have to totaly disconnect the alt, you will need a 17mm open end wrench , push the alt out of the way and you will see the valve it will have two small hoses comming from it disconnect them ( watch out for the p/s fluid it will come out) . Then take the 17mm wench and remove the valve , ( you will just need the wench to basically break the seal!!!! then you can remove the valve with your hand.) That should be it , just install in the reverse order. So far may pump is fine the steering feels much better, and no noise at all. I hope this helps. If you try it please let me know how it goes
Good luck ,

Peace
Fantomd
Old 10-08-01, 09:55 PM
The Ikon
Lexus Champion

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Healer hand, where did you get your pump from?
Old 10-09-01, 06:38 AM
VQT
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Healer Hand,

Where did you get your rebuild pump at?

blkstealthpaid4,

How much do you sell the pump for? Is it a rebuild or new?

Thanks,
Old 10-09-01, 06:45 AM
blkstealthpaid4
Advanced

If you have smoking problems on-start up then i can get a used pump from a celica,camry ,tercel etc...
All you need from the pump is the valve.
If your pump is out on your LS then I would have to get the actual pump from an LS at the junkyard and this would be a bit more.
I did ship the celica pumps for Fantomd and I think ptrojeff/retrodrive.
Old 10-09-01, 09:08 AM
healerhand
Lead Lap

i got it from 999 lexus parts. its a rebuild for $179. If you paid cash, then there is not tax... email me if you want more info
Old 10-09-01, 02:41 PM
fantomd
Driver School Candidate

Guys make sure that where ever you are getting your pump from ,that you ask if the idle up valve is included. Because before I purchased my pump from blkstealth, I was going to get it from ebay and 2 other places and all these rebuilt and new dont come with the valve. Only a junkyard will give you the pump and valve. As blkstealh has said the pump from the celica works fine and it is all metal, unlike the one I had on my 1990 LS . It was plastic and a piece had broken off!!!!.

Good Luck

Quick Reply: LS400 Power Steering Leaks?