LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

PLZ help question about LS 400

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-06, 11:54 PM
neena14
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sonyman
How foolish would Lexus be to make a system where the owner cannot replace one key but must rather replace all of the locks instead? How else are aftermarket keys made except by cutting them? $60 for a Lexus master, or less for an aftermarket key. Plain and simple. He can either order the key online or from his dealership simply by providing the VIN and proof of ownership. For someone who takes care of his car so much I'm surprised he gave you the original master key in the first place. I know that if I were in his position I would have had a duplicate key made just for you but I guess he's ignorant of the fact that it's a simple procedure to order one! Shame on him for not doing his research!

Scott
He does research on his car all the time. Matter of fact he is always looking for pasts for his car to the point that I can’t stand it. But this key thing was something that I messed up. So I feel it’s my responsibility to find out. I thought it would be hard and I would just give him money and he would take care of it. But when he said $1000, I thought may be I should do some research.

I know his addiction to car. I don’t like it. But he always has been like that. So I can’t do anything about it. I hate it. I told him if he would have lost my car key, I would have not even cared at all. But then again I have cheap corolla yr 2000. His Lexus cost way too much.

This is last time I am ever taking anybody’s key. Especially if person is so addicted their car.
Old 05-23-06, 12:40 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 96 Likes on 88 Posts

actually your corolla is probably worth multiples of his car. PARTS for his car on the other hand are much more expensive than for your corolla.
Old 05-23-06, 09:47 AM
chite5b
Driver School Candidate

sounds like he is paranoid, i would tell him not to worry about it. The chances of whoever finds that key and finding the vehicle that matches the key is close to zero.
Old 05-23-06, 10:27 AM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
actually your corolla is probably worth multiples of his car. PARTS for his car on the other hand are much more expensive than for your corolla.

He's going to come after you once he finds out you told her the truth

Honestly, he should've never said a thing about it, then came here and researched himself to find out it was only $60 bucs (that’s for a new key btw) rather then asking his gf (the one who has a more expensive car then him) to pay him $1000 bucs for a lost key.

We need a poll for future's sake

Last edited by GRAND_LS 4; 05-23-06 at 10:38 AM.
Old 06-16-06, 11:18 AM
neena14
Driver School Candidate

Thanks guys so much for your help

I have last quetion..plz if you know anything about it.

Ok so The key I get for $46, would that key have a small button on side (remote to open the car)?? Cause the key I lost had a small button on the side (remote). My bf wants button on side like his old key. He dont want key without remote.

Thanks sooooo much
Old 06-17-06, 06:41 PM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by neena14
Thanks guys so much for your help

I have last quetion..plz if you know anything about it.

Ok so The key I get for $46, would that key have a small button on side (remote to open the car)?? Cause the key I lost had a small button on the side (remote). My bf wants button on side like his old key. He dont want key without remote.

Thanks sooooo much

Im really sorry to be the one to tell you that you cant program keys with remotes on 1990-1992's if im not mistaken. You would have to buy new keys, and a new chip to work with your new remotes ($$$$$) . Here is the link:
http://www.lexus-parts.com/partdetai...bCategoryID=22

You get 2 keys and a transponder.
Old 06-17-06, 10:06 PM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 339 Likes on 292 Posts

cut the YOUNG guy a break, he probably just heard stories about how expensive things are forb the car and made an assumption. it does sound like someone else gave him some bad info. and he just passed it on to his girlfriend.
Old 06-18-06, 11:03 PM
neena14
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by GRAND_LS 4
Im really sorry to be the one to tell you that you cant program keys with remotes on 1990-1992's if im not mistaken. You would have to buy new keys, and a new chip to work with your new remotes ($$$$$) . Here is the link:
http://www.lexus-parts.com/partdetai...bCategoryID=22

You get 2 keys and a transponder.

so its $347 for two keys and a transponder?

he would not have to change car locks right? he can still use his current keys to open the car plus two new ones?

$347 is still too much for me to pay. i dont know what i am going to do.
Old 06-19-06, 01:04 AM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 472 Likes on 362 Posts

Now I'm curious...what has the dealer quoted to replace the key?

My memory has these years with the integrated remote key but you simply need to get the corresponding FCC ID# to be compatible with the remote capabilites of unlock, lock and trunk. These keys can be registered by the end user with a recognition program readily available here or on the net.

There is an ignition kill built into the ECU but the key does not have an ignition immobilizer transponder chip . This didn't come into the LS4 until '97+.

You can buy a non-remote key to operate the vehicle. The integrated remote will cost some $$. Unless both keys are lost, then you may be talking some serious $$ for the chip and new keys along with the usual key registration process.

Call your dealer and let us know.
Old 06-19-06, 01:35 AM
skperformance
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

It is true you can get the keys cheaper as stated above.
But come on ,you can't blame the boyfriend. He probably went to the dealer and how many times have they given us incorrect info charging 3 arms and 5 legs for simple parts.
He may be over inflating the price or the dealer is too stupid or that crooked to be not making a normal profit.
We all know better from our collective knowledge and sharing in the cars . Which mostly came from stupid dealers raking us over the coals .
Old 06-19-06, 01:39 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

i always thought the engine immobilizer came standard starting in 95 with the UCF20
Old 06-19-06, 11:05 AM
RA40
Super Moderator

i always thought the engine immobilizer came standard starting in 95 with the UCF20
There has been an ignition kill if the factory security system. The keys for the 95-96 did not have the transpoder for communication with the ECU. '95-'96 Master key part# 90999-00220, $46. The '97 # is; 89785-30020 $53.

While the factory security isn't fool proof, a properly cut key will allow the '89-'96 LS to be driven. Beginning with '97, the key was registered with the car before it would allow the engine to run.
Old 06-19-06, 02:55 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

wasnt the immobilizer for the 95-96 in the fob?
Old 06-19-06, 08:10 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

wasnt the immobilizer for the 95-96 in the fob?
The 95-97 fob is for the door lock-unlock, trunk and panic functions. While it does set the factory security when locked, only an illegal entry will activate the ignition kill. Then the key is has to be inserted into the door or ignition and turned to cancel it...thus allowing the car to start/run.

Beginning with the '97: if it does not contain the transpoder key that has been registered with the car, the engine merely cranks. Those plastic wallet emergency keys or simple copies will only allow you to open the car.

The 95-97 LS remote is also compatible with several years of the frist gen SC 3/4.
FCC ID: HYQWDT-C
Canada: 1551 K1420.

The first gen integrated key has a similar FCC ID but is possibly designated by a "B". Dunno, it's been a spell.
Old 06-19-06, 10:28 PM
neena14
Driver School Candidate

so they dont make remote keys for 1991 model anymore? In order to get one new remote key ..locks need to be changed?

sorry for asking too many questions.

Quick Reply: PLZ help question about LS 400