LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

sloted and drilled rotors(opions)

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-06, 06:20 PM
biglexass
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sloted and drilled rotors(opions)

does any one notice a differnce between the sloted and drilled rotors?? iam looking into getting some but dont know if i should or not.
Old 06-09-06, 07:42 PM
Phucanese
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the difference between slotted and drilled is pretty simple

drilled rotors is for better cooling
slotted is for better contact between pad and rotor.
(under breaking, pads usually build up a coat of film on the surface,
and the slots just scrape off the film for better contact.)
the slots do help cool the rotor quite a bit, but not as much as the drilled rotors.

imo no street car needs drilled. if you track often then sure, go for it.
plus, ive had a few friends that have cracked their rotors because of the drill holes.
i had slotted rotors on my old corolla and i autocrossed it with great results. no fading!

so i would recomend the slotted only ones.

im actually going upgrade to slotted rotors soon for my 93...
as soon as i find some nice 2nd gen 4piston calipers.
Old 06-15-06, 05:15 PM
steveski
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I am looking at them also. I like the idea of the rotor running cooler - brake pads will last longer and the overall system should work more efficiently. I run ThermoQuiet pads all around and they keep the wheels clear - no brake dust. If you decide on a rotor set please let me know what you chose. There are hundreds out there.
Old 06-15-06, 06:48 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

hey phucanese, lemme know when u start looking, i may be unloading my 4-pistons soon.
Old 06-16-06, 04:28 AM
ychachad
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When these warp, very few shops will resurface them as it plays hell on their tools.
As long as you are prepared to spend the $$$ to replace them everytime they warp, go get them.
Where I used to live in a small mountain town with a lot of rain, your rotors could warp every month!!!! It was crazy.
Old 06-16-06, 11:09 AM
Lexkost
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ychachad
When these warp, very few shops will resurface them as it plays hell on their tools.
As long as you are prepared to spend the $$$ to replace them everytime they warp, go get them.
Where I used to live in a small mountain town with a lot of rain, your rotors could warp every month!!!! It was crazy.
I have been running cross drilled for over 4years and have them turned once and I will never go back to stock rotors,mine have held up very well, just make sure that you run ceramic pads.
Attached Thumbnails sloted and drilled rotors(opions)-brakes-002.jpg  
Old 06-16-06, 09:42 PM
Suneet
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexkost
I have been running cross drilled for over 4years and have them turned once and I will never go back to stock rotors,mine have held up very well, just make sure that you run ceramic pads.
I love the way your caliper's match your car...
Old 06-20-06, 03:52 PM
steveski
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexkost
LEX - where did you get your rotors? I want some for their cooling efficiency, etc. Yours are not slotted - I can get them cross drilled and slotted. What do you think?
Old 06-21-06, 10:49 PM
dfkd
Intermediate

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Just wanted to correct a statement that was made on here...

Drilling is not for cooling and doesnt help cooling at all but actually was implemented initially for more effectively releasing the gases that were produced in hard braking. Modern pads do not create enough gases to cause that problem.

Another thing to consider though is that with drilled and slotted rotors, your pads will go really quickly as the holes actually chew through your pads.

I will admit that drilled does look really good though.

As said before, slotted is the better way to go.

Check out this site for some good info...
Old 06-22-06, 11:19 AM
Lexkost
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by dfkd
Just wanted to correct a statement that was made on here...

Drilling is not for cooling and doesnt help cooling at all but actually was implemented initially for more effectively releasing the gases that were produced in hard braking. Modern pads do not create enough gases to cause that problem.

Another thing to consider though is that with drilled and slotted rotors, your pads will go really quickly as the holes actually chew through your pads.

I will admit that drilled does look really good though.

As said before, slotted is the better way to go.

Check out this site for some good info...
You are right and you are wrong, cross drilled have chamfered holes and does not eat up your pads and the heat is reduced and dissipated when you are stop also you wheels stay cleaner.So because of the holes you can rechamfer them and get them resurfaced, but once a slotted chamfer is gone it can not be resurfaced.................I rechamfer my own every year when I do my inspection of the pads. ( rechamfer using a battery drill with the proper countersink )

Also my front rotors are OEM that where custom drill for me, I believeI have been running crossed drill on a 2nd gen LS longer than anybody on CL , ..........But to each his own ......
Old 06-23-06, 08:12 PM
sonbum1
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you are considering a brake upgrade, I would not get slotted or cross drilled rotars. I would go with a supra tt upgrade. I have had slotted rotars for a couple of years and for the most part they are fine, but they are a bit louder when hard stopping, and somtimes vibrate and wobble. The stock system is designed well for the stock set up, maintaning the "LS quite ride" if you are not "racing" around the stock rotars are great for driving and I have not seen a post yet on stock brake failure. If you have upgraded your wheels to a larger size and want to compensate for "unsprung" weight, then get the larger supra tt brake system. Sure the slotted/cross drilled look cool, but so does a big a$$ rotar.
Old 06-28-06, 09:53 PM
DoubleWhoosh
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Most premature warping problems can be traced back to inferior quality rotors to start with. There are only a handful of companies that use good rotors. In this case, OEM is probably one of the best, and everyone else has to just try to keep up. Drilling or slotting or whatever really doesn't contribute, in fact if anything it will alleviate warping since it runs at a lower temperature (in theory at least).

Other issues that cause warping can be not even warping at all, but deposits on the rotors either from contamination from someone on the road getting on there, or using crappy pads that distribute material unevenly. This can be fixed with a good bedding session and some new pads.

An overly aggressive pad will also cause premature rotor wear, but most of the time people don't have pads like this. Ceramic based pads will give off less dust, and sometimes they will also increase braking performance to some degree.

A very very general rule of thumb is the more dust it makes, it will bite better, but also wear out your rotors faster too.

Note that pads also need to be bedded in or broken in, which opens a whole new can of worms if you don't do this.
Old 06-28-06, 10:53 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

hey todd, im installing new rotors on my dad's 00 LS4 this weekend, do i have to follow standard brake pad bedding procedures even though its the same old pads just new rotors?
Old 06-29-06, 02:16 AM
DoubleWhoosh
Lexus Test Driver

Yes, you really should with any new pads.
Old 06-29-06, 02:24 AM
DoubleWhoosh
Lexus Test Driver

oops sorry thought you said new pads

you can probably get by without in your case, although there will be some contamination with the initial oil and other stuff that is on the new rotor.

Quick Reply: sloted and drilled rotors(opions)